“The owner was great as he handled personally everything from reservations to dining suggestions.”

Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
Manchester, CT
Reviewed August 30, 2010

From the moment we called for reservations until breakfast the last morning the owners were gracious and helpful.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Marshfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 29, 2010

The service from and access to the Inn Keeper was excellent. The room theme was as advertised and the reason why we wanted to stay at Hampton Terrace. We were at the front of the house on the main road but it was very quiet and peaceful. The Inn is in walking distance to the center of Lenox with its restaurants, stores, etc. and an easy drive to the cultural destinations we came to Lenox to see. I don't have a negative because I don't have one. We would return to Hampton Terrace the next time we go to Lenox and would recommend the Inn to our friends.

Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed August 24, 2010

My wife and I visited Hampton Terrace for a weekend of relaxation. We are the parents of an active two and a half year old and were sorely in need of a break. This B&B hit the spot. Stan was a terrific host who made sure we had what we needed. He was the first innkeeper to ever send me an email after my stay asking for comments. They are always trying to make things right for their guests.

The room was clean, comfortable, and well appointed with everything we would have needed. Nothing too fancy, but far from plain. The pool was heated and very relaxing. We spent several hours there. Downtown was just a short walk away and the cuisine was of high quality.

The breakfasts were buffet style which included fresh fruit (best blueberries ever) different types of breads, cold cereal, yogurt, very good coffee, orange juice, a breakfast meat, and a different main course each day (scrambled eggs and gritts, different varieties of French toast, etc..). All of good quality.

We've been to several B&Bs and this was one of the better ones. This B&B will be our first choice when we return to Lenox next year.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 24, 2010

It was a great experience for me and my guests.
The place is very nicely taken care of. Very comfortable room.
Great breakfast and fun conversation with the wonderful guests.
I look forward to returning sometime soon!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Overall, Lenox "in season" is expensive and we were prepared for this- but we were surprised but how expensive it all was and basically felt that we did not receive value for the money spent- at The Hampton Terrace, as well as at several restaurants in Lenox. The food was good but significantly overpriced- even for "in season."

At $260.00 a night we expected a room and an experience that was somewhat "special." Perhaps, that is unrealistic in Lenox, in season. And this fact certainly "colors" this review. If our rate had been $160.00 a night, we would have accepted with greater tolerance a room with dusty-outdated furnishings in a decor that could best be described as "1950"s Pocono Honeymoon Resort." The bathroom with its claw foot tub was quaint but not charming- especially with one overhead light attached to a pull chain for the entire room. The public rooms had a certain charm, but seemed "tired." The side porch was especially lacking in charm and attention to detail. The furnishings were "tag-sale" decor and while it was a comfortable place to relax before breakfast- again, it lacked the quality and special attractiveness that-in our opinion and experience characterize an outstanding place- a quality in evidence throught the inn.The breakfast was good and we appreciated the freshness of everything- fruit, eggs, cereal. There were ample amounts of everything and overall it was a pleasant- if not outstanding- experience.

We enjoyed the backyard pool on the hot afternoons and there were ample towels for our use.

Our overall experience was not bad- it simply wasn't special- given the price and the mostly positive reviews. In looking over the less than enthusiastic reviews, we have to agree that the owners seemed to be going through the motions. It is not a place we would stay at again nor recommend to others- primarily- but not exclusively- due to price and value received for that price.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank booster1959
HamptonT, Owner at Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, August 24, 2010
We are very appreciative of all of our positive reviews, and we take every negative review seriously. In spite of the fact that we have hosted 3,000 stays since our last “do not recommend” (that’s pretty good, right?) we will consider each of these points and address the issues.

I am sorry this couple left disappointed, but they admit that the prices in the Berkshires “colored” their attitude. The $260 they paid to be with us in Lenox should be compared to the $329 charged by the Holiday Inn Express in Great Barrington, twenty miles from Tanglewood. I don’t think a property in Lenox or Stockbridge has had a price of $160 for twenty years. So to be looking for us to be “special” at $260, and then pick on details because of it, seems unfair. Our reviews are filled with couples who have stayed in multiple properties and ended up regulars at Hampton Terrace, so we know both our room prices and the experience are acceptable.

Only one other review, out of 200, refer to us, the owners, as “going through the motions.” I have to admit that we work 15 hour days, 7 days per week, for about 3 months, with 28 people living in our home. Plus we personally do all of the cooking. To most people, we do it well enough to earn an average grade of 99.4 since January alone (52 reviews). There will be an occasional guest who might feel we did not give him/her enough of our personal time…and if this guest feels like that, I am sorry. We try not to ever appear tired or distracted by the multi-tasking that this job requires.

But this is why we cannot take any time off. Most people come to an inn, rather than a hotel because they want to establish a relationship with the innkeeper. Unless I am personally handling everything from check-ins to midnight needs, I am more likely to get a negative review from someone who would say “the innkeepers didn’t bother to be around.” Scroll down our last 50+ reviews. Interaction with our guests seems to be our strongest suit.
Litchfield, Connecticut
Reviewed August 21, 2010

Fabulously excellent! Without any hesitation we are quickly recommending Hampton Terrace to close friends who are seasoned travelers. We were especially impressed with our stay in the enchanting Rosalyn Elkan Suite. Everything, including Stan's attentive and generous hospitality, was way, way beyond our expectations.

Madison, Connecticut
Reviewed August 20, 2010

The rooms are clean (although our bed didn't seem level) and town is an easy walk. The breakfasts are good—we had some quiche-like egg preparation and blueberry pancakes the two mornings we were there. Cereal, fruit, toast, and yogurt are also available. Free wifii is available, but I was able to receive it only in the main house.

The innkeepers are polite if a bit cavalier about their roles. (We never did meet Susan; perhaps she wasn't around.) My major complaint about the place is its lack of general upkeep. While the interior seemed fine, there were many instances of cobwebs in corners of exterior doors, the bushes in front of the main building were badly in need of trimming (in August), and an inherited beer bottle never was removed from the carriage house upstairs porch during our two-night stay. Ultimately, it seemed many things needed to be taken care of—including picking up the droppings of the Rosens' dog in the yard.

The place can be quite noisy. Others have already mentioned the hourly bells emanating from the Episcopal church across the street, but the property also abuts a day care center (Rooms 2, 3, and 5 in the carriage house look directly onto it.), which makes dozing by the very nice pool (which should be referred to on the inn's web site: we purposely brought no bathing suits because we assumed the inn had no pool) a near impossibility.

I didn't necessarily hate the place, and I'm certainly not surprised at its cost in tony Lenox. However, the place could certainly use a custodian to take care of the details that differentiate an adequate inn from a great one.

I'm really not sure if I'd "recommend this hotel to a friend," but I'll say "yes" because I must answer the question.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank monocle
HamptonT, Owner at Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2010
First, let me thank this reviewer for his positive comments: clean, good breakfast, easy walk to town, and no issues with our interiors.

Secondly, we do have a dog, Atticus, and as I led this guest from the main house to the cottage during check-in, I saw a dropping and asked the guest to watch his step. Then I went back to take care of it. Our guests LOVE our dog but he does occasionally leave a souvenier. And I did find a beer bottle on a second floor minor porch, which I picked up as soon as I saw it. Was it there overnight? Possibly. Most of our guests clean up after themselves, but I roam the property all day every day doing what I need to do to provide the best guest experience possible. We have been full (28 guests) every day for the past two months, and picking up, cleaning up, and repairing things is my full-time job.

Which leads me to a major point: Every one of our guests receives an e-mail from me prior to arrival which promises that they will get my best effort, but they have to LET ME KNOW what they need in order for me to respond. Then, after they leave, a follow-up e-mail asks them to let me know what I might improve for future guests...hopefully including them. This guest gave me no feedback at all, until a review on this 3rd party website.

I know we cannot please every person. So rather than be defensive and ask what this person means when he says the innkeepers were "polite but cavalier" I can only ask that all reviews be placed into context and perspective.

Since January 1, we have received exactly 52 Trip Advisor reviews, with an average of 99.4. This review is a 50. We have been rated #1 out of 30 Lenox inns for three years.

I will take a hard look at our exterior maintenance and take care of anything that seems an issue. It is the time of year when cobwebs appear overnight, and we have had some hard winds and rains this past week which drop leaves and branches.

But addressing noise. I really do not think we would have a "satisfaction index" of over 99 (Trip Advisor's term for that score) if noise, including the church down the street, or the playground next door, were a major problem. The playground is only used by the pre-school mid-day and weekdays....so our weekend guests are never affected.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox
#1 of 9 in Lee
Hotel on North
Hotel on North
#1 of 8 in Pittsfield

Been to Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!