“exceeded expectations”

Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
Reviewed December 6, 2009

Looking for a relaxing, peaceful getaway we picked Lenox for a fun, lowkey vacation. Hampton Terrace fulfilled all our expectations by being beautiful, comfortable, convenient and an all around excellent experience. the room was cozy, comfortable and immaculately clean. The jacuzzi was wonderfully relaxing at the end of a long day and the fireplace was comforting and warm. Stan was a great host; both providing delicious, filling breakfasts and interesting conversations along with spot-on recommendations for local activities. The Inn is perfectly located within walking distance of a wide variety of restaurants for lunches and dinners. Not only will I recommend this establishment but I will surely return for another visit.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 5, 2009

A wonderful stay. My fiance and I stayed in a King suite, spacious, beautifully decorated. Ameneties galore, gas fireplace, jacuzzi, wet bar. Stan fed us a nice feast each morning of our 3 day stay. He also took the time to chat with us during breakfast, which we both thoroughly enjoyed. If you have a question he is more than happy to oblige. The inn was decorated for Christmas which was very nice to see. Stan is a great host. We will be returning and would highly recomend the Hampton Terrace to anyone looking for a quiet, or romantic getaway............
Thank You Stan.

George/NJ...

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2009

This was our second stay with Stan and his wife at the Hampton Terrace. This visit was as wonderful as the first. Although we didn't need to ask for much, we knew that Stan would be able to accommodate any of our requests. He always has good advice for what to do in town and the friendly conversation makes us feel at home.

Reviewed November 30, 2009

I almost always cross-reference my travel plans with Trip Advisor, and TA has never let me down...until now.

I simply do NOT understand the generally stellar reviews of this property. This inn is average...factor in the price, and I must review the Hampton Terrace as poor.

I stayed in a suite. It was pretty enough, hardly sumptuous, and it was neat, though not pristinely clean. It was like a decent hotel room or condo room. Now, I do understand that all the B & Bs that I investigated in Lenox are priced similarly. Maybe the Berkshire region is able to charge upwards of $250 nightly for average rooms..... ???

The suite was in an outbuilding behind the main residence. That was fine; though, there is nothing special about the grounds...just a parking area and basically a pool that takes up the yard. The back windows of the suite room look onto a brick apartment complex with chain link fence and dumpster. We therefore kept the shabby plastic pull shades closed. Whatever... the "view" is not the Inn's fault...but people should know what they are in for.

The breakfast was sorely lacking. I really thought given the positive reviews here and from the description from the Inn's own website that breakfast would be special in some way. Instead there was a "buffet" of cold cereal, yogurt, some hard boiled eggs, a few berries, sausage, bread. And it's not like there were copious amounts of anything (guests were waiting for almost everything- including coffee- to come out of the kitchen.) Come to think of it, even the plates at the tables were small, luncheon size. One certainly did not feel that one was sitting down to any kind of delicious, unique or hearty breakfast.

The whole experience was absolutely under-whelming. Now, when I go back and read the average to poor Trip Advisor reviews of this inn, I realize those reviewers are spot on.

I really hate to be negative (see my other reviews and you'll know I am not...) but I hope readers will seriously consider the good and bad reviews here. Reality check!

I also think it is quite interesting that the Inn owner seems to have a defensive retort to any negative review posted here, and makes it seem that only he is right, and there must be something wrong with the reviewer....Hmmmmm.......

5  Thank dctrip96
HamptonT, Owner at Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2009

I am also truly disappointed that these guests did not like their stay here, but they did not say anything to me. They asked for a late check-out, which does not imply a bad experience on the surface of things.

I do have to defend the 131 prior reviewers out of 145 who said their stay here was "excellent" or "very good." This reviewer, and the one she references earlier, express wonderment at how and why we get such high marks from most people. Reviews are voluntary postings, and usually happy guests move along with their lives. The negative ones always get in, so we are quite appreciative that opinion swings so widely in our favor. But....

We do our best, and we react to all constructive feedback. In spite of the fact that most people seem very happy with our breakfasts, we plan to see what we can do to improve. And the selection is much wider than implied by this review. This past weekend we had eggs, sausage and seasoned grits on one morning. Three kinds of French toast (traditional, cinammon and chocolate), ham slices and hard boiled eggs the next day, and two varieties of egg casserole (one meatless) on the third day. I do not get someone who wants to misrepresent us by saying that we only put out "hard boiled eggs."

Reviewed November 30, 2009

We stayed here from thanksgiving thursday thru the saturday of the holiday weekend. We were very impressed with the service from before we even got to Lenox, receiving several helpful emails from the host, Stan on things to do, places to eat, etc. On arrival, he was kind enough to help us locate a great place to eat Thanksgiving dinner - that, and all of the other recommendations provided were spot on. The room was very cozy and clean - we loved the fireplace and the bed was super comfy. The decor throughout the inn is really beautiful and pays great attention to detail - we loved the fireplaces and the friendly dog, Atticus. The inn is also very wonderfully decorated for the winter holidays and that made the stay even more special for us, as it's our favorite time of year. We had received a great rate/deal on the room for the trip and it was worth every penny and more. Will definitely recommend this place to family and friends planning a trip to the Berkshires. Thank you Stan and Susan for a memorable experience!

Reviewed November 29, 2009

My husband and I spent Thanksgiving thursday to Saturday at the Hampton Terrace. It was our first time in Lenox and it will not be our last. This is due not only to the beauty of the area but to the Hampton Terrace. I found this B&B on the internet and we were very, very pleased with the ambiance, the room, the service, the breakfast and especially our hosts. Our every need was addressed with a smile and a true concern for our comfort.
I would encourage anyone looking for a B&B in Lenox to visit the Hampton Terrace.
It was truly excellent!!!!!!
Antoinette and Fred Simmons

Reviewed November 29, 2009

The room sure did not look like the website photo, and I know rooms seldom do, but I was expecting something more luxurious. The room certainly wasn't worth nearly $250 a night. The jacuzzi in the suite actually was next to an ugly half-doored closet and a little "kitchen" alcove...it was situated far away from the gas fireplace. It just wasn't pretty or cozy.

Breakfast was really nothing great at all. I mean, it was edible, but I thought there would be something special about this breakfast given it was written up as such. Hard boiled eggs one day, scrambled another, toast, cold cereals, some sausage. I have eaten far better breakfasts included at Holiday Inns. And, there just wasn't enough food put out. Many guests were waiting for food to be replenished at the buffet. I didn't mind waiting, but it felt awkward to then take the last 2 pieces of sausage after two guests served themselves before me, and there was a line behind me...

2  Thank jpc47
HamptonT, Owner at Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2009

Attaining a top ranking on Trip Advisor (usually #1) is a double edge sword. Of course, we are proud that our former guests overwhelmingly think we are doing a good job. But occasionally, this ranking sets us up for unfulfilled expectations. Each negative review usually starts with "we stayed there because of all of the positive reviews.."

Setting a goal of mediocrity would fix this problem.

Our king suites are less than four years old. Truthfully, this is the first negative comment we have ever received about one of those rooms. Many of the reviews posted on Trip Advisor are about the king suites...and the majority of those guests pay the in-season rate of $345. This couple never expressed a concern to me personally, or in response to an e-mail I send everyone after check-out asking for feedback. I am truly sorry about anyone who feels they did not receive value here. We strive for 100% satisfaction.

I do have to correct some assertions about breakfast that give a wrong impression. We put out an all-you-can-eat buffet When we put out hard-boiled-eggs, it is a supplement to our French toast morning - which includes traditional, cinammon burst and chocolate French toast choices, plus ham. We realize that some people want just protein, or need to pass on the more indulgent choices. To imply that hard boiled eggs were the only choice of breakfast one morning is setting a tone that misleads. Also, we never run out of food on our buffet. If someone took the last two sausages before this guest, he/she only had to wait a minute before we brought replacements from the kitchen. I spend all morning replenishing bins on our buffet: We have 4,000 mornings under out belt since we have bought the inn, and know what foods to keep simmering in the back for immediate refreshing. Sometimes, however, 8 people might jump in line at once, and if one person decides he/she is stocking up for the day....I may find myself with several bins that need attention. But that is what I do.

As I mentioned earlier, we send out an e-mail before all of our guests arrive letting them know that we will do everything we can to make their stay pleasant. The day they leave, we send an e-mail asking for positive or negative feedback. Our breakfasts have evolved over time based on that feedback.

We acknowledge that it is impossible to please all of the people all of the time. We see it first-hand: On the same morning I hear one couple say that they had the best meal of their lives at "xyz" restaurant....a couple later in the morning will come in and say they hated the same restaurant. I know we are subject to the same scrutiny.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Garden Gables Inn
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Been to Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!