“Loved the King Suite...and the breakfast grits!”

Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Lenox
Redding
“Loved the King Suite...and the breakfast grits!”
Reviewed October 5, 2008

We arrived by motorcycle on Friday afternoon, and were warmly greeted by Stan. After a quick checkin and tour of the warm, charming and gracious common rooms, we were shown to our suite and left to enjoy the gas fireplace, jacuzzi two person tub and sumptuous kig size bed. We later came back to the common rooms to relax and wander through the local restaurant ledger - a book the innkeepers have put together with menus from all the local establishments. Breakfast the next morning was full of delicious choices and we ate well before heading off for a day of strenuous hiking at Mt. Greylock. The long soak in our tub that night was a dream! All in all a fun and relaxing weekend.

• Liked — Gracious place, gracious innkeepers
  • Disliked — not a thing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
dingriess
Reviewed September 10, 2008

My husband and I made our first visit to the Berkshires at a very slow point in the season and spent two nights at the Hampton Terrace. The house itself is beautiful, colorful, cheery and airy - a welcoming place to return to after a day exploring the area. We happened to arrive in Lenox on an afternoon in which the rain didn't let up all night, so the atmosphere of the inn was particularly important and didn't disappoint. We appreciated the straightforwardness, congeniality and professionalism of the innkeepers, who thoughtfully attended to the details of our stay, We stayed in room 1, which was largely lovely, comfortable and clean, with a fireplace for chilly nights. The breakfast buffets were fresh, healthy, good and filling. Stan, who we saw the most, addressed potential questions and gave us a thorough run-through of the way things work at the inn upon our arrival (with the aid of a must-skim comprehensive binder in the room), was always ready to help and engage with the guests yet very unimposing, and full of great stories. We've definitely recommended it to our family and look forward to returning.

• Liked — See Review
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
New York City
Reviewed September 4, 2008

My wife and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary with a relaxing long weekend in the Birkshires. The experience was wonderful, and it would not have been the same if not for the Hampton Terrace. Stan (the Innkeep) goes out of his way to familiarize you with the area, and makes a hearty breakfast. If not for Stan, we might not have known about the Boston Symphony performance at Tanglewood - what a treat that was! Stan even mailed me a pair of jogging shorts that I had left in the room!

The main house is beautiful, the rooms were clean and well-maintained, and the bedroom furnishings were reminiscent of the American Gilded Age. It's also a stone's throw away from the center of town. Definitely recommend.

• Liked — Everything was great, but the breakfast was superb. Something different everyday.
  • Disliked — No dogs allowed - probably part of the reason the place is so clean.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
Reviewed June 5, 2008

We stayed in the King Suite which contained a jacuzzi, sink, small refrigerator, gas fireplace, loveseat & good sized bath. The water pressure in the shower was perfect. The jacuzzi was roomy enough for two and the jets were not too overwhelming like some can be. It was also located quite practically on a tiled area not on the rug. The bed was very comfortable. If you are short like me (4'10), the bed is a little too high even with the step stool but once on the bed, it was very comfortable. I get swollen feet so I would have liked a hassock for the couch but the couch was comfortable. I am someone who loves her toiletries, so I would have liked a little more counterspace in the bath but it was o.k. ; There was small 3 level shelf and a basket shelf. The tub did not hold large bottles of shampoo but this is a minor detail. I was a little uncomfortable with the gap in the shades on the wooded side of the room but there really was noone to see in. The pool was gloriously warm and clean; the gait did pose a challenge again due to my height but my husband is 5'10" and that took care of that. The cabinet in the wet bar contained coffee, sweatener and some plastic utensils which were appreciated as was the coffeemaker. We did not eat breakfast there but we saw it on our way out and it looked good; the 2 tables were set up very elegantly. The gas fireplace was temperature adjustable and provided warmth and romance on rainy nights. There was also an electronically controlled heating/ac which added to our comfort. The Inn owner, Stan was very gentlemanly, courteous and kind and showed us how to work everything in the room. We were given a Gourmet Gift Certificate which we did not have time to use, and he very generously bought it back from us. We thoroughly enjoyed our Anniversay weekend at the Hampton Terrace.

• Liked — fireplace, jacuzzi, pool
  • Disliked — Bed height, height of landing into room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed June 4, 2008

I selected the Hampton Terrace after reading such positive reviews on TripAdvisor, and it's all true - this B&B is incredibly charming and lovely! My friend and I were greeted by Stan who gave us a nice tour of the grounds and showed us to our room. He also introduced us to Atticus the dog and gave us information and a map of the village. Each room is uniquely decorated and very cozy. The bed was so comfy. There was a nice selection of breakfast items, perfect for our vegan diets. We had so much fun, it was a fantastic way to spend a quiet weekend away from our homes in Los Angeles and NYC. I would ABSOLUTELY stay at the Hampton Terrace again. Thanks!

• Liked — The bed, the pool, the serenity, everything!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
Massachusetts
Reviewed May 5, 2008

My wife and I spent our 15th wedding anniversry at Hampton Terrace. The Inn is charming and the perfect place for a romantic get away. Stan and Susan are gracious hosts. They certainly provided the atmosphere for a memorable weekend. We stayed in one their "King Suites" The room was comfortable, the amenaties were great, and the privacy welcome.

Stan provided some great tips on things to do in the area as well as the best places to eat.

I have already recommended the Inn to several friends.

• Liked — The rooms are cozy and romantic
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Yarmouth, ME
Reviewed March 12, 2008

What a find Hampton Terrace is! From the time you walk in and are greeted by Stan, the innkeeper, and the winding staircase, you feel a sense of WOW. I was lucky enough to get a tour of the inn, and got to visit many of the rooms. They're all fabulous. The Carriage House King Suites have everything you might want - whirlpool tubs, fireplaces, TVs with DVDs and tons of room. The inn rooms have really captured the history of the building with built-ins found even in the bathrooms. I stayed in room #1, and loved it. The woodburning fireplace added such an ambiance after a long day.

Stan, the innkeeper and breakfast cook introduced me to grits. They were really good. There is a fabulous bar in the parlor and Stan gives away gift certificates to the local wine store to people who stay two or more nights, so you can pick out a favorite bottle of wine and then enjoy it at the bar. What a cool idea that is.

I didn't get a chance to see the pool uncovered (visited in winter), but the setting is wonderful. I hope to come back when I can see the pool.

I highly recommend Hampton Terrace.

• Liked — decor, amenities, pool, location
  • Disliked — nothing, no complaints - loved it here.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox
Yankee Inn
Yankee Inn
#5 of 15 in Lenox
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Been to Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!