“First Time In Lenox”
Review of Cornell Inn Lenox

Cornell Inn Lenox
Ranked #1 of 20 Lenox B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Lance, the host, was extremely friendly and quite helpful. The setting, grounds and room were cozy, restful, quaint, rustic and visually appealing and soothing, however, there are several issues we feel need attention: mattress too soft (led to sore hips in morning); shower flow is very weak; being next to main road, our room was quite noisy from traffic and guest in rooms next to and above ours (the Louisa Room); there were cobwebs in the bathroom; and light coming through curtained windows and door at night was bothersome. Though we didn’t use it, the fireplace was a nice touch in the fall. It is closely situated to town center—10 minute walk, though there’s not a lot of offerings in the town. While the breakfast was plentiful, the choices were not very healthy; lots of carbs!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing road...very noisy. Louisa room had a very large bathroom but low water flow in s...
1  Thank Gary M
Cornell_Innkeeper, Owner at Cornell Inn Lenox, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. Although it has taken some time to respond, I looked into the items you mentioned as soon as I became aware of your review. Unfortunately, we were not aware of the concerns while you were here, or I am sure we could have made your stay more pleasant. I am not surprised that the Lance was friendly and helpful--The Cornell Inn has an amazing team in place and the people are a big reason that so many guests become return guests.
Although it is difficult to control the sounds from other guests, we could have helped with some of your concerns if we were aware of them.
- I was surprised by your comment about the water pressure, and checked it immediately. It appears the slide valve on the shower head was slid almost to the off position, leaving little more than a trickle of water. Once I pushed the button in, the water rushed out in a normal manner. If you choose to stay with us again, I assure you that all bathrooms have sufficient water pressure.
- As far as mattresses, it is difficult to determine the perfect firmness for all of our guests. Your room, Louisa, had a firm mattress with a memory foam topper--I assume that topper was the softness that you didn't appreciate. We are happy to change or remove toppers to suit individual preferences--for example, we recently put a topper on one half of a bed because the husband wanted it softer while the wife thought it was perfect. I wish we had known that it was causing you discomfort while you were here so that we could have tried to meet your preferences.

The room and bathroom were thoroughly cleaned on the day of your arrival following another party's departure. I didn't see any cobwebs or similar items in the bathroom when I saw the review, but that isn't acceptable and I apologize. That isn't typical of the Cornell Inn and we have addressed the issue with the appropriate attention.

Our breakfast includes many options, and those usually include our very popular berry, apple cider, or pumpkin pancakes and a type of French Toast (i.e. Almond). These "unhealthy" carb options are very tasty, but our guests are free to choose from many other options if carbs are not desired. We have quiches, eggs cooked to order, fruit plates, yogurt, and cereals every day. We also prepare special dishes to meet other dietary restrictions and requests from guests.

I hope that you will come back and give us another try. I think you will see why many of our guests enjoy their time here, and return again and again.

Tim McCaffery

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Our family of 6 adults, 1 baby and 1 dog spent 2 nights at this great B & B the last weekend in September. The owners went out of their way to be gracious & helpful. Breakfast was delicious, plentiful and the dining room was a very pleasant place to enjoy the good food. The grounds are lovely especially the back deck with the waterfall & pond in the background. The rooms we had were spacious, clean and comfortable. We loved the experience and hope to return again.

Room Tip: We had 3 rooms in the house next to the main residence. We liked the privacy it gave us as we had a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Cornell_Innkeeper, Owner at Cornell Inn Lenox, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a kind review. We're glad your entire family, canine and human, enjoyed your stay with us and in the beautiful Berkshires. We hope you come for another visit, whenever you feel the need to take a break from the fast pace of Gotham.

Best Wishes-

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I had never wanted to stay at a B&B, but my husband and I decided to do something different, so we booked at the Cornell Inn this past Columbus Day Weekend. We were VERY pleased with our stay, and would book at a B&B again.

We were in the main house in the Abigail room, which was very quiet. My husband did hear people going up the stairs to the second floor, but I heard nothing. We did not use the AC/heat, so I cannot comment on that. Our private bathroom was very small, but it worked out great for our weekend.

The property was nice and clean and comfortable. We felt very welcomed there, although if the staff wore name tags it would have been nice to have been able to refer to them by name. At times it was difficult to know who was staff and who were the guests.

I cannot say enough for the staff who cooked the breakfast. I am a vegetarian, and do not eat products made with white flour. The breakfast staff went out of their way to accommodate my (odd) dietary needs. They were wonderful!!!!

1  Thank Math2

I'm so glad your first visit to a B&B was an enjoyable experience. I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to meet you and your husband, as our entire family was out of town visiting my father in the Midwest. All of our chefs have wonderful skills, but I believe Miss Karen was your chef during your stay. She is very warm, pleasant, and helpful in addition to her culinary skills. We try to meet the dietary needs of the majority of our guests, whether they be gluten free, vegetarian, vegan, or simply ingredient specific, such as yourself, (as I recall purchasing whole wheat flour for your stay). We have debated about either name tags or uniform shirts to identify those who work with us to help make The Cornell Inn, all that it is. I think I'm leaning towards name tags vs. shirts, but that still has yet to be determined. We hope you come for another visit.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed at the "Cornell Inn" in Lenox on October 4th. and we were ever so pleased. The owners could not have been more helpful. We choose to stay in the room called "Pat" and found it most comfortable -- a little night time nose from the highway but covered up by the heater. The grounds and deck are great but our evening was too cool to use them. We are hoping to return in the spring on our next trip to visit our kids that now live in CT. My husband missed having eggs for breakfast and did not realize that he could have ordered them. Best wishes to the new owners.
Holly R.

Room Tip: All rooms are shown on the internet. If you don't want any road noise then ask for a room that...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for taking the time to review our B&B. We are glad you enjoyed your time with us and in the lovely Berkshire region. We hope to see you back again in the Spring when you come back to visit with your children.

Best Wishes-

Reviewed October 15, 2013

After reading the lovely reviews, my wife and I decided to stay here and were disappointed.

The Room: We stayed over Columbus Day week-end and made our reservation about 10 days prior so we really did not have much of a choice. Our room was "Ida" in the McDonald House and it was quite small. There was barely room to walk around the bed. The room was clean and made up nicely but very small. The bathroom was large and clean. The heat was provided in a combo AC/Heater in the wall. The unit was loud. Once we got the thermostat regulated so that it would go on and off automatically, when it clicked on, it was loud and woke me up.

The Breakfast: Having stayed and many other B&Bs, we were accustomed to the "dish of the day" individually prepared and usually a unique dish. That was not the case here. The meal was buffet style which was OK. The cook would make omelets upon request. However, since this B&B is quite large (over 20 rooms in three buildings), when breakfast was served between 8 - 10 AM, the dining area was like Grand Central Station. For example, when they brought out about a dozen pancakes, they were gone in about one minute. The muffins on the first morning were very nice; pumpkin chocolate chip. That is what I call a unique touch. The second morning had bran muffins; big deal.

Hosts: Unlike others have experienced and written, there was virtually no hospitality from the host and hostess.

2  Thank Lloyd H
Cornell_Innkeeper, Owner at Cornell Inn Lenox, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Thank you for staying with us. I'm so sorry to read that you were disappointed with aspects of your stay with us while in the Berkshires. I'm also sorry we didn't have a chance to address your concerns in person, as my husband, Tim, and I were out of town during your visit.

I'm pleased that you mentioned that that your room and bathroom were clean and nicely appointed. Ida, as our webpage indicates, is one of our smaller rooms. It has a queen sized bed, flat screen TV, and a large bathroom with a whirlpool tub and shower. It is configured as such because it is one of our wheelchair accessible rooms. You talked to Tim on the phone about moving your reservation to another (larger and higher priced) room with a fireplace, but Ida was our only available room when you made the reservation and no other rooms became available in the interim. We try to be very forthright about the differences in the rooms on our website and on the phone. The rates on our few smaller rooms are lower than larger rooms, so they are often ideal for budget-conscious travelers who want a nice place to sleep and a great breakfast with a little less room to move around. They also provide great bargains for accommodations in Lenox during peak travel periods. The three smaller rooms: Ida, Harriett, and Helen are all nicely appointed but they are smaller rooms consistent with houses built in 1777 and 1888. We will strive to do a better job of ensuring our guests understand the specifics of each room when they book reservations.

As far as the HVAC, the issue will be addressed immediately. The MacDonald house has traditional central heat which is nearly silent, but each room also has an electric wall unit to allow guests to adjust the room temperature to their liking. They are new 2013 Amana units and are rated among the quietest on the market; nonetheless, they can move a lot of air which causes white noise. We are very sorry that your sleep was disturbed by this sound and we will have that unit checked today to determine whether it is functioning properly. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

As you noted, we are larger than many B&Bs. We have 28 rooms in 3 historic homes. Breakfast can be busy when the houses are full, especially if many guests arrive for breakfast at the same time. On busy days when the outside temperature is not conducive to dining on the deck, we prepare the pub and common room for dining to give our guests a bit more space. While the kitchen team is happy to cook to order, we choose to serve buffet style to keep the food fresh and allow us to quickly serve a great breakfast to many guests.

Although we serve buffet style, we are anything but traditional with our breakfasts. We serve fresh fruit, seasonal muffins for those who chose to be more creative, and more traditional muffins, such as bran, for those who prefer those healthy options. In addition, we serve either a quiche or frittata (such as broccoli and cheese, artichoke, or tomato basil), home fries, sausage, yogurt, juices, and original creations such as apple crisp, almond French toast, and pumpkin, apple cider, or mixed berry pancakes. In effect we have several "dishes of the day" to choose from. We also regularly prepare dishes for guests who maintain vegetarian, vegan, low-carb, gluten-, or dairy-free diets.

I'm sorry you felt that your visit lacked hospitality from the hosts. We are blessed with a great manager and staff; other guests have commented about how well they were treated during our short absence. I will speak to our team about making certain ALL of our guests feel welcome and appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn and pass on your concerns--it will definitely enhance the experiences of our future guests.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed for a weekend wedding in September. This is the first time my husband and I stayed at a B&B, and we loved every minute of it. We stayed in the main house, in a beautiful room on the first floor, and we enjoyed being close to where "the action" was and yet not bothered by any noise at all. The food is yummy and the grounds are just lovely. Tim and Nell are perfect hosts and couldn't do enough to make you feel right at home, I really wanted to stay just one more day. Next time, it will be for a long weekend!

Room Tip: Each room is different, you may want to review in advance if you have any preferences.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for the sweet review. I'm so glad you and your crew had a wonderful wedding in the Berkshires and at our Inn. We too had a great time with your clan! I'm glad your first experience at a B&B was a positive and that you plan to return for a visit. You know you can count on us for a fabulous and filling breakfast, and much laughter.

See you soon!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

My family stayed here in the Carriage House, which was great for us to have rooms in such close proximity. The inn was able to accommodate our needs very well, between needing space for a dog's crate and a fridge and sink access for my baby's bottles. The inn is charming and has beautiful grounds, as well as proximity to a scenic wooded area and a short walk into the downtown. Very friendly and hospitable. Excellent food as well. Would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Traveler1377

I'm so glad your entire family, canine and human enjoyed your stay at our Inn and in the beautiful Berkshires. Being pet owners ourselves, we know how important it is to have your entire "family" with you while on vacation. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the wonderful park behind our property as well. Nothing like a little exercise to burn off all of the calories from our delicious and abundant breakfasts! I also love that we are a simple stroll from the hustle and bustle of town, but still far enough away to truly relax amongst the trees, pond and waterfall. We hope the next time you take a break from Gotham, ( my favorite city in the entire world) you come back to relax with us!

Cheers,
Nell McCaffery

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Garden Gables Inn
Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort
Gateways Inn
Gateways Inn
#2 of 20 in Lenox

Been to Cornell Inn Lenox? Share your experiences!