“First B&B was a success!!!”
Review of Cornell Inn Lenox

Cornell Inn Lenox
Ranked #1 of 19 Lenox B&B and Inns
MA
“First B&B was a success!!!”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I had never wanted to stay at a B&B, but my husband and I decided to do something different, so we booked at the Cornell Inn this past Columbus Day Weekend. We were VERY pleased with our stay, and would book at a B&B again.

We were in the main house in the Abigail room, which was very quiet. My husband did hear people going up the stairs to the second floor, but I heard nothing. We did not use the AC/heat, so I cannot comment on that. Our private bathroom was very small, but it worked out great for our weekend.

The property was nice and clean and comfortable. We felt very welcomed there, although if the staff wore name tags it would have been nice to have been able to refer to them by name. At times it was difficult to know who was staff and who were the guests.

I cannot say enough for the staff who cooked the breakfast. I am a vegetarian, and do not eat products made with white flour. The breakfast staff went out of their way to accommodate my (odd) dietary needs. They were wonderful!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Math2
Cornell_Innkeeper, Owner at Cornell Inn Lenox, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
I'm so glad your first visit to a B&B was an enjoyable experience. I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to meet you and your husband, as our entire family was out of town visiting my father in the Midwest. All of our chefs have wonderful skills, but I believe Miss Karen was your chef during your stay. She is very warm, pleasant, and helpful in addition to her culinary skills. We try to meet the dietary needs of the majority of our guests, whether they be gluten free, vegetarian, vegan, or simply ingredient specific, such as yourself, (as I recall purchasing whole wheat flour for your stay). We have debated about either name tags or uniform shirts to identify those who work with us to help make The Cornell Inn, all that it is. I think I'm leaning towards name tags vs. shirts, but that still has yet to be determined. We hope you come for another visit.

Best Wishes,
Nell McCaffery

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Williamsville, New York, United States
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed at the "Cornell Inn" in Lenox on October 4th. and we were ever so pleased. The owners could not have been more helpful. We choose to stay in the room called "Pat" and found it most comfortable -- a little night time nose from the highway but covered up by the heater. The grounds and deck are great but our evening was too cool to use them. We are hoping to return in the spring on our next trip to visit our kids that now live in CT. My husband missed having eggs for breakfast and did not realize that he could have ordered them. Best wishes to the new owners.
Holly R.

Room Tip: All rooms are shown on the internet. If you don't want any road noise then ask for a room that...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for taking the time to review our B&B. We are glad you enjoyed your time with us and in the lovely Berkshire region. We hope to see you back again in the Spring when you come back to visit with your children.

Best Wishes-
East Meadow, NY
Reviewed October 15, 2013

After reading the lovely reviews, my wife and I decided to stay here and were disappointed.

The Room: We stayed over Columbus Day week-end and made our reservation about 10 days prior so we really did not have much of a choice. Our room was "Ida" in the McDonald House and it was quite small. There was barely room to walk around the bed. The room was clean and made up nicely but very small. The bathroom was large and clean. The heat was provided in a combo AC/Heater in the wall. The unit was loud. Once we got the thermostat regulated so that it would go on and off automatically, when it clicked on, it was loud and woke me up.

The Breakfast: Having stayed and many other B&Bs, we were accustomed to the "dish of the day" individually prepared and usually a unique dish. That was not the case here. The meal was buffet style which was OK. The cook would make omelets upon request. However, since this B&B is quite large (over 20 rooms in three buildings), when breakfast was served between 8 - 10 AM, the dining area was like Grand Central Station. For example, when they brought out about a dozen pancakes, they were gone in about one minute. The muffins on the first morning were very nice; pumpkin chocolate chip. That is what I call a unique touch. The second morning had bran muffins; big deal.

Hosts: Unlike others have experienced and written, there was virtually no hospitality from the host and hostess.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lloyd H
Cornell_Innkeeper, Owner at Cornell Inn Lenox, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. I'm so sorry to read that you were disappointed with aspects of your stay with us while in the Berkshires. I'm also sorry we didn't have a chance to address your concerns in person, as my husband, Tim, and I were out of town during your visit.

I'm pleased that you mentioned that that your room and bathroom were clean and nicely appointed. Ida, as our webpage indicates, is one of our smaller rooms. It has a queen sized bed, flat screen TV, and a large bathroom with a whirlpool tub and shower. It is configured as such because it is one of our wheelchair accessible rooms. You talked to Tim on the phone about moving your reservation to another (larger and higher priced) room with a fireplace, but Ida was our only available room when you made the reservation and no other rooms became available in the interim. We try to be very forthright about the differences in the rooms on our website and on the phone. The rates on our few smaller rooms are lower than larger rooms, so they are often ideal for budget-conscious travelers who want a nice place to sleep and a great breakfast with a little less room to move around. They also provide great bargains for accommodations in Lenox during peak travel periods. The three smaller rooms: Ida, Harriett, and Helen are all nicely appointed but they are smaller rooms consistent with houses built in 1777 and 1888. We will strive to do a better job of ensuring our guests understand the specifics of each room when they book reservations.

As far as the HVAC, the issue will be addressed immediately. The MacDonald house has traditional central heat which is nearly silent, but each room also has an electric wall unit to allow guests to adjust the room temperature to their liking. They are new 2013 Amana units and are rated among the quietest on the market; nonetheless, they can move a lot of air which causes white noise. We are very sorry that your sleep was disturbed by this sound and we will have that unit checked today to determine whether it is functioning properly. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

As you noted, we are larger than many B&Bs. We have 28 rooms in 3 historic homes. Breakfast can be busy when the houses are full, especially if many guests arrive for breakfast at the same time. On busy days when the outside temperature is not conducive to dining on the deck, we prepare the pub and common room for dining to give our guests a bit more space. While the kitchen team is happy to cook to order, we choose to serve buffet style to keep the food fresh and allow us to quickly serve a great breakfast to many guests.

Although we serve buffet style, we are anything but traditional with our breakfasts. We serve fresh fruit, seasonal muffins for those who chose to be more creative, and more traditional muffins, such as bran, for those who prefer those healthy options. In addition, we serve either a quiche or frittata (such as broccoli and cheese, artichoke, or tomato basil), home fries, sausage, yogurt, juices, and original creations such as apple crisp, almond French toast, and pumpkin, apple cider, or mixed berry pancakes. In effect we have several "dishes of the day" to choose from. We also regularly prepare dishes for guests who maintain vegetarian, vegan, low-carb, gluten-, or dairy-free diets.

I'm sorry you felt that your visit lacked hospitality from the hosts. We are blessed with a great manager and staff; other guests have commented about how well they were treated during our short absence. I will speak to our team about making certain ALL of our guests feel welcome and appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn and pass on your concerns--it will definitely enhance the experiences of our future guests.

Best Wishes,
Norwood, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed for a weekend wedding in September. This is the first time my husband and I stayed at a B&B, and we loved every minute of it. We stayed in the main house, in a beautiful room on the first floor, and we enjoyed being close to where "the action" was and yet not bothered by any noise at all. The food is yummy and the grounds are just lovely. Tim and Nell are perfect hosts and couldn't do enough to make you feel right at home, I really wanted to stay just one more day. Next time, it will be for a long weekend!

Room Tip: Each room is different, you may want to review in advance if you have any preferences.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for the sweet review. I'm so glad you and your crew had a wonderful wedding in the Berkshires and at our Inn. We too had a great time with your clan! I'm glad your first experience at a B&B was a positive and that you plan to return for a visit. You know you can count on us for a fabulous and filling breakfast, and much laughter.

See you soon!

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

My family stayed here in the Carriage House, which was great for us to have rooms in such close proximity. The inn was able to accommodate our needs very well, between needing space for a dog's crate and a fridge and sink access for my baby's bottles. The inn is charming and has beautiful grounds, as well as proximity to a scenic wooded area and a short walk into the downtown. Very friendly and hospitable. Excellent food as well. Would definitely stay here again!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Traveler1377
I'm so glad your entire family, canine and human enjoyed your stay at our Inn and in the beautiful Berkshires. Being pet owners ourselves, we know how important it is to have your entire "family" with you while on vacation. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the wonderful park behind our property as well. Nothing like a little exercise to burn off all of the calories from our delicious and abundant breakfasts! I also love that we are a simple stroll from the hustle and bustle of town, but still far enough away to truly relax amongst the trees, pond and waterfall. We hope the next time you take a break from Gotham, ( my favorite city in the entire world) you come back to relax with us!

Cheers,
menemsha
Reviewed October 2, 2013

in lenox for a wedding, the cornell had a block of rooms reserved for the guests and was the most reasonably priced on a list of several local inns. although my partner and i are not especially picky (hey, we traveled around new zealand for 3 months in a toyota minivan camper) i also managed at a high-end inn for 12 years and i know how it should work and when it doesn't. the cornell worked quite well. greeted by the friendly manager and checked in promptly, we found ourselves in "harriet," a very small room with a bit too much furniture but all we would need for a 2 night stay. the owners are lovely, genuinely warm and helpful and breakfast was a nice surprise; abundant, varied and cleanly and well-displayed-and it was different on day 2. the young man working in the kitchen on our 2nd morning couldn't have been nicer. the only (small) negative was the room cleaning was lacking a bit. the sink hadn't been cleaned but the room was nicely re-ordered, though not well detailed. walking distance to town, comfortable and friendly-a good deal.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dana n
Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn. I'm glad you and the rest of the wedding group enjoyed their time in the Berkshires and at our Inn. Thank you as well for clarifying for me via email what we could do to enhance our housekeeping staff's skill set. I greatly appreciate your candor and honesty.

Best Wishes-
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband and I were looking for an historic inn for an overnight stay in the Berkshires that was not prohibitively expensive. The Cornell In looked extremely reasonable for what it had to offer, and when we arrived, we found that it was exactly what we were looking for and exceeded all of our expectations. The inn is made up of three historic properties, with a beautiful garden area, nicely appointed rooms - our room had a four-poster bed and a corner fireplace - and is within walking distance of downtown Lenox. we passed a cozy and comfortable evening on the porchand in the garden, and awoke to a delcioud buffet breakfast. The hosts are, as all reviews note, extremely friendly and helpful. We make the trip between Central NY and Boston fairly often,a nd the Cornell Inn will be a regualr stop for us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Cornell_Innkeeper, Owner at Cornell Inn Lenox, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write us a review. I'm so happy you had an enjoyable stay with us and within the beautiful Berkshires. While we are fortunate to be in Lenox, we are also very fortunate to be just outside of the town center. An easy stroll into town, but just far enough away to avoid the hustle and bustle that often occurs during the summer and Fall Foliage. We are fortunate to have a good group of co-workers who understand the meaning of customer service and well, our breakfasts, they are simply DELICIOUS! We hope you stop by again during one of your jaunts from NY to Boston.

Take Care-
Nell McCaffery
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Garden Gables Inn
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort

Been to Cornell Inn Lenox? Share your experiences!