“Amazing Dinner by Chef Lance!!”
Review of Cornell Inn Lenox

Cornell Inn Lenox
Ranked #1 of 20 Lenox B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We spent New Years Eve at the Cornell this past year and can not say enough about this place and it's staff! The staff made us feel very much at home and happily answered our questions about the Inn and surounding area. Our room was very clean with such a beautiful bed and fireplace. The Location could not be better, just a 5 minute walk into the very cute village of Lenox, where there are lots of great shops and restaurants. But!, we decided to eat dinner Saturday night at the Cornell, and let me tell you it was the best meal we've ever had!! The duck was perfectly done with a sauce that was out of this world, butternut bisque (amazing!) popovers, prime rib, risotto, potatoes, and vegetables (FIVE STARS!), bourbon pecan pie and raspberry cheesecake, (heaven!!!) we can't wait to go back, and are thinking of having a family reunion there! Did I mention the breakfast?! Hats off to the chef! Thank you!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Cornell Inn Lenox

Reviewed December 13, 2011

We spent a quiet 2 nights at the Cornell this November. We found the B&B to be on par with more expensive ones and were suprized with great breakfasts served-up by Lance.,Our host. We picked the Frances and sprawled out in the huge room. I'm 6'6" and had no problems with fixtures. I'm am not one to indorse many things, but I will say, you can't go wrong staying here. Its clean, inviting and close to town. Best, Peter and Bev.

Room Tip: Stay in the main house, your closer to the food.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Cornell this past weekend and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We were celebrating our 5th anniversary and our visit was relaxing and memorable. I'll say right off that my wife and I are not finicky/fussy. On the other hand, we are not indiscriminating in our expectatiions. I was more impressed by the hospitality at the Cornell than some $300+ hotels I've stayed at. My wife's mother ran a B+B for more than 10 years and recognizes good service. In part, I am writing this review to offset a poor review that I read with disbelief. I honestly feel that 4 stars is a fair appraisal.

I like Victorian style homes and found the rooms beautiful and clean. The inn was not fully occupied so Lance offered us a choice of several rooms. We upgraded to a room called "Dolly" at no extra cost. The decore was spendid with period furniture and tasteful floral wallpaper. We loved the antique touches in the room such as lamps in the style of the early 20th century and depression era glassware. The complementary coffee mugs we received were a pleasant surprise. After dinner we took advantage of the cozy bar which had a variety of tablegames. The fourposter bed was comfortable and we slept well.

The next morning the breakfast included a delicious egg/potato/herb casserole, homebaked cinnamon rolls, fresh fruit, coffee and juice. We had a lively conversation with the staff and then walked about the property. The Cornell has a lovely Koi pond, a patio with umbrellas, and a wooden swing on the lawn. The main house has an inviting porch with rocking chairs. Afterwards, we had a great hike in Kennedy Park which was within walking distance from the B+B.

I will mention some things which could use a little attention. The house could use painting. Some yard items could be spruced up. My wife and I have renovated our house which dates back to the 1840's and believe that things don't need to be perfect to be appreciated. Overall, I felt the friendly staff attended to our needs and gave us a wonderful stay. We'd gladly stay at the Cornell again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank R W
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed here during the last week of September for three nights. The hotel had a horrible dirty, musty odor, including our room. We stayed in Frances. It was dimly lit, the sink was very slow, the plastic mini blinds didn't keep the spotlights from shining in our windows. We asked for a fragrant candle to mask the odor. I even found pair of dirty socks in my night table drawer! Breakfast was almost inedible with herby, rubbery omelets, butter that tasted like the refrigerator and cut up fruit salad that was old. When we returned home, we found that the Cornell didn't credit our deposit and charged us the full amount. We called immediately and they still have done nothing about the overcharge. This was a week ago, so after numerous e-mails, we turned the problem over to our credit card company. We stayed at the Lenox Hotel in Boston amd the Wauwinet in Nantucket prior to our arrival at the Cornell. Both places were less expensive than the Cornell and were far superior. What a disappointment this run-down place is.

Room Tip: Find a different place to stay.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank babybulldog
Cornell_Innkeeper, Owner at Cornell Inn Lenox, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2017

Change of ownership and management since this stay/review. This stay and review occurred prior to the acquisition of the Cornell Inn by its current owners (Fall of 2012).

Reviewed October 2, 2011

My girfriend and I stayed at the Cornell this past weekend and absolutely loved it. We have stayed at one other B&B in Lenox and several others in different locations. So while we may not be B&B experts we are experienced and I should also note we are very well travelled.

ROOM:
Our room was awesome but to be fair we did our research online and new we were getting one of their biggest rooms with a fireplace and jacuzzi tub. Unlike other reviews below their was a log waiting in the room.

FOOD:
The breakfast rocked. Lance, chef and acting manager for the weekend, made 3 types of pancakes: buttermilk, blueberry and per our request chocolate chip. He topped it off with his homemade pumpkin syrup which was incredible. There were also eggs which were made with herbs, potatoes, bacon, fruit and bread. Again unlike other reviews there was tons of food and Lance kept bringing out hot, fresh pancakes and eggs. Also noteworthy is the breakfast area. The atmosphere is very country with tons of windows and natural light. The other B&B we stayed in had a more formal dining room. Not that it was bad, just different, and we preferred the Cornell's.

PROPERTY
The grounds are beautiful. Outdoors the fish pond and falls are so peaceful. Inside the bar area was lovely and we enjoyed a quick card game before packing up. We also loved the proximity to Lenox so we could walk to town in 5 minutes.

Overall we loved it. As is well known the property is currently owned by the bank looking for a new owner. So I am representing all the facts the house can use a new paint job and other minor cosmetic touches but nothing major. Nornally I shy away from this situation since you never know if you will find staff that cares. This couldnt be further from the truth. The staff was awesome. We not only recommend it but are looking at booking a week there this coming summer.

Room Tip: Do your homework. Some of the rooms are small but they do not hide it online. We were in the largest...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I really wish we could do half stars on tripadvisor. Since this property deserves 3.5 bordering on 4 depending, but maybe I'm a tough revewer so please read my comments and judge yourself. So we booked for offseason, (Sept. before leaf peeping), and I really wanted a fire place room and booked the only one that appeared available online (the Bess) in the Carriage House.

We arrived at Twilight so the carriage house appeared very spooky although although the main Inn was cozy and nice.

My takeaway point here....call the Inn to check availability. i'm not 100% convinced their online system was working properly - I much would have rather stayed in the Main Inn if one of their rooms in the inn with a working fire place (such as the Frances room) were available.

That said, if you want privacy, the Carriage House absolutely has it.

So as I mentioned given it was near freezing temps, I really wanted a fireplace. So we get there only to find no logs available. Went back to the inn and they checked, but no availability. Just kind of odd to assume we wouldn't want to use the fireplace. So we drove to a local price chopper and got a duralog ourselves.

Also note, we had to open the flu (sp?) ourselves - so if you stay in one of the rooms with a fireplace, check that first!

Now I will say, the room was super clean, and in decent shape although it was kind of an odd mix of quaint B&B and motel / hotel (super old tv on a stand in the middle of the room, and things like that).

Now on to breakfast. At this point, I was still debating in my head what this place should get for a review because I really did appreciate that the owners were not in our face, (I hate that at most B&Bs) so me and my travelling companion agreed breakfast would be the determining factor. It was average, but no better / no worse than you could get at a hampton inn / local chain hotel. Average coffee, fruit, coffee cake, 2 small pancakes and scrambled eggs.

So here's my big advice - would I stay here again? Yes, because I do like that it is out of town, clean, and they are not in your face - but I'd try to get a good rate, bring my own duralog in advance, and then plan to eat breakfast in town - what can I say, I love breakfast!

The owner I met was super nice, so it was hard to write this review, but it was the little things that kept this place from being a 4 in my opinion and I felt like I should give advice to others planning to stay here. thanks!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Boots123

Reviewed September 14, 2011

We wanted to stay at another B&B in town this past August, but they did not have weekend availability. We stayed at the Cornell for the weekend and set up an unintentional comparison between the two. We stayed in Ida, a pretty small room for 2 people (the bathroom is as big as the bedroom part (?)) and overall the experience was good. Breakfast a bit above average, certainly better than your average Hampton inn. Kitchen and other staffers including the property manager were helpful with a positive attitude. I would advise some of the smaller rooms like Ida would be better suited for one person. Clean, quiet with a nice overall vibe.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cit35
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Garden Gables Inn
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Courtyard Marriott Lenox Berkshires

Been to Cornell Inn Lenox? Share your experiences!