“A little bit of heaven in the Berkshires”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Birchwood Inn

Birchwood Inn
Ranked #7 of 20 Lenox B&B and Inns
Little Neck, New York, United States
“A little bit of heaven in the Berkshires”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I have been coming to the Berkshires since our honeymoon 48 years ago and now know we have found our " home away from home ". The Birchwood Inn is beautifully decorated, charming , comfortable and inviting. Our room was so pretty with hand painted flowers on the walls. The bathroom was huge and so clean. We spent many hours on the wonderful porch,having conversations with new friends and enjoying home baked goods. The breakfasts were delicious, sometimes sweet, sometimes savory but always amazing , the best we have ever had at any Inn. Before coming we were asked about dietary restrictions and our needs were always accommodated. I'm still dreaming about the key lime pie , the date nut bread , the fruit gazpacho, actually everything we had for breakfast and afternoon tea on the porch.
The Inn is ideally located, a short walk to town and close to Tangelwood. And when you return from the concerts or theater there are home baked cookies or other delicious cakes waiting for you in their pantry. We were able to use a refrigerator in the pantry for our picnic food.
The most wonderful part of our experience was meeting Ellen, the owner and chef as well as her staff. We were welcomed so warmly that we felt at home immediately. Ellen and her staff could not have done more to make our stay so filled with happy memories. Ellen is a remarkable women and lovingly puts her heart as well as her culinary skills into making the Inn so special. There is attention to every detail and it is done with warmth and caring and a wonderful sense of humor.
We can still smell the comforting aromas of her baking as we came down for breakfast, we can still see the beautiful flowers in the garden and feel the warmth that Ellen has created at Birchwood. We cannot wait to return.

The Inn is ideally located, a short walk to town and also near Tangelwood.

1 Thank Nancy G
La Chatelaine, Owner at Birchwood Inn, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for the many accolades! All of us at Birchwood love it when we can make our guests happy. Yes, you certainly have a "home" at Birchwood, and we hope to welcome you home again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

What a nice place! I just returned from spending a long weekend in Lenox and am so happy I stayed at the Birchwood Inn. The rooms were clean, comfortable and charming. The breakfasts were outstanding – an elegant fruit starter followed by the main course (the stuffed French toast was my favorite).

Ellen and the Inn’s staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. When we were heading out to buy food for our picnic at Tanglewood, Terri (assistant innkeeper) set us up with an insulated picnic bag, on wheels, with all of the necessities (plastic plates, glasses, utensils, etc.). The night after I mentioned to Terri that the chocolate chip cookies left in the pantry for the guests the previous night had somehow disappeared before we got back to the Inn, a plate of freshly baked cookies appeared in our room. It was that kind of thoughtfulness and attention to detail that made our stay so memorable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
All of us enjoyed your visit. We loved the laughter coming from the four of you! The Peach Croissant French Toast to Die For Panini is a favorite of many guests, and I am so glad you are one of them. You helped make the weekend a fun one!
Neponsit, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We just recently returned from a week long stay at the Birchwood Inn in Lenox, Mass, My husband and I have been going to this area for over 34 years and have stayed at many places in the Lenox/Stockbridge area but always felt that we had not found the right place until the Birchwood Inn. Here we found comfort, warmth, attention to detail, and great care. The Inn is lovingly run by Ellen Gutman Chenaux. You feel as if you are a special guest in a gracious home. The breakfasts are a gourmet delight! Ellen is a superb chef ! She was also extremely responsive to my specific dietary needs during my stay. Waking up in the morning you are surrounded by smells of wonderful baked delicacies. These smells permeate through afternoon tea and night-time special snacks left for you in the butlers pantry. We met lovely people during our stay who also feltd the same as we did, having found the Inn and have made many retrun trips.. This is a wonderful place where both my husband and I intend to return. I also intend to return as a solo traveler when I need a bit of R&R on my own.

1 Thank Jill H
I am ecstatic that you have found your "home" at Birchwood Inn, especially since after this first visit, you already feel like "Birchwood family." We enjoyed hosting your visit and look forward to seeing you on your solo visit in October.
NY NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

The inn is beautiful but the innkeeper is anything but lovely. We've stayed more than once (color us masochists) and Ellen's lack of hospitality and at times open hostility has the makings of a Mel Brooks movie. From the moment we arrived we were told how much work she has to do and made sure that we knew she had to go out & buy skim milk just for us! The inn is marketed as a gourmet foodie destination. I was served a bowl of oatmeal (without fruit, brown sugar, steamed milk) Dickens style, and diet yogurts w/ artificial ingredients (versus the ubiquitous and tasty Greek yogurt.) However it's not just the food that is lacking.
The inn keeper projects an air of being put out over everything. There are notes around the inn asking people not to move items. The kitchen is open for guests to help themselves to beverages. The afternoon I made myself a cup of tea, Ellen picked up the box I had chosen and remarked that she might not have enough for breakfast now. Thinking something and saying something are not the same thing. She has no interest in her guests but in accolades they may provide. We were told at least three times during each breakfast how hard everything was for her as she waited for us to compliment her efforts.
It is a beautiful old inn with a porch to die for, but paying close to $400 a night for hostility is getting old.

Room Tip: There are so many choices in Lenox that are bound to be more welcoming than The Birchwood
4 Thank TravelYolanda
La Chatelaine, Owner at Birchwood Inn, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
I believe we have a series of miscommunications and misunderstandings. You booked your room on line, but when you arrived, you preferred a different room. It was no problem for us to move you to the room you wanted rather than the room you booked.

Due to unusual circumstances, while you were here, I was on my preparing and serving breakfast to 18 people. I mentioned this to you in hopes that as a returning guest you would understand and have a modicum of patience.

I appreciated you letting us know of your dietary restrictions and preferences prior to your stay. I certainly was not looking for accolades. It was my understanding that you opted for egg white omelets and oatmeal instead of the gourmet offering.

The first morning, I gladly prepared an egg white omelet for you, as you requested, while the other guests enjoyed Mediterranean Quiche. The following day I was more than happy to prepare Irish oatmeal for you, once again as you requested, instead of the New Jersey Cheese Blintzes with Wild Blueberry Sauce. It was, I admit, my oversight – not hostility – for not asking you what you would like with your oatmeal as I usually do. If you had asked, I would have been happy to offer brown sugar, honey, berries, milk.

Thank you for the suggestion of Greek yogurt. We did try this earlier in the summer, and it did not prove popular with the majority of our guests.

I sincerely regret these “misses.”
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We arrived in Lenox after a 4 hour drive from New Hampshire and the final stop on our two week stay in the USA. I was at the ‘it’s time for my own bed' point you get to on a long trip. The Birchwood Inn was just the place to stay to overcome that feeling.
We had a lovely large first floor room with a window seat, sofa, huge walk in closet, comfortable bed and a good bathroom.
Breakfast was great and I was provided with a separate cheese free option. Ellen and her team make you feel welcome and want to make your stay as comfortable as they can.
The porch was a lovely place to sit in the afternoon, chatting or reading a book. The lemonade/iced tea and cakes were just the thing after a day’s sightseeing.
We hope to return to Birchwood Inn and The Berkshires in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We were all delighted that we made the end of journey a special one! We hope the road leads you back to the Berkshires and Birchwood Inn.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

The fabulous music of Tanglewood finds its complement in this charming inn. All rooms in Lenox during the summer are pricey, and this is no exception. The difference, however, is the value. THe roms are charming and spacious, The front porch is a delight, as is the sitting room. The breakfasts are heavenly, and linger in the memory long into the autumn. We have stayed at several inns in tghe area, and none tops the Birchwood.

Room Tip: Room 5 is particularly charming, with its own fireplace and hand-painted bathroom. There are two b...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
La Chatelaine, Owner at Birchwood Inn, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Room 5, The Egleston Room, is my personal favorite. The coral and seafoam hues are restful, the garden view special, and the clawfoot tub ever so soothing. I am delighted you enjoyed it as well.
annapolis maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Staying at Birchwood Inn is like returning to the home of a favorite aunt. Ellen, the sweetly sophisticated innkeeper, makes her guests feel welcome in premises that glow with good taste. We were there during Tanglewood Season, refugees from a Maryland heat wave, and delighted with the cool weather and comfortably furnished front porch where tea and homemade treats were available each afternoon. Ellen is a gourmet cook, creating spectacular breakfasts served by her assistants in the inn's elegant dining room.

Birchwood Inn is pet-friendly, and our chocolate lab Conrad spent one night in the Post Room, located in an auxiliary property next to the main house. A private entrance and a front porch was an ideal situation, although he spent two nights at nearby Camp Wagalot so we could enjoy concerts and sample the fare of restaurants within walking distance. Zinc was a favorite, as was Alta and the Church Street Cafe.

Birchwood Inn, an historic house on a quiet street in Lenox, is a special destination year-round. The gardens and grounds are well kept and the public rooms inviting. Ellen is a charming and thoughtful host - as well as a great cook. Her labrador Quinn and service dog Charlie are a bonus -- as is the inn's pet-friendly policy . We give it five thumbs-up!

Room Tip: If traveling with your dog, ask for the Post Room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
La Chatelaine, Owner at Birchwood Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
It's such a high to have happy guests! The ultimate goal of every innkeeper. Quinn, Charley, and the Birchwood team delighted in your stay as much as you did, making a great start to the summer. We hope to see the three of you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Yankee Inn
Cornell Inn Lenox
#2 of 20 in Lenox
Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn
Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort

Been to Birchwood Inn? Share your experiences!