“Our Third Time Here But NOT Our Last”
Review of Apple Tree Inn

Apple Tree Inn
Ranked #8 of 20 Lenox B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 18, 2013

This has been our third visit to Apple Tree Inn in Lenox, Massachusetts and it feels like renewing old friendships. The owners, Sharon and Joel and their staff members, couldn't be more obliging. The fire in the Victorian living room of the main house is so inviting and it feels great to just sit there with a cup of hot chocolate, coffee or tea. There is another huge fireplace in the bar area that lends itself to just relaxing as does walking the grounds with exceptional views. The bed and room were also very welcoming. This all made for a great stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 3, 2013

This is a quaint hotel with a lovely porch for dining. The food is fine.
The rooms in the annex are way below standard for the rates charged. They smell musty and are typical of 1960s motel fixtures.
Beautiful setting and pool.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ORGMemphis_Tennessee
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The Apple Tree Inn is one of our favorite summer travel destinations that we look forward to twice every summer. This has become a family tradition that we hope will extend to our grandchildren some day. We love the warmth, charm, coziness, and hospitality of the place. The Victorian appointments, antiques, casual yet classy atmosphere, location on a hill in the beautiful Berkshires, make this a most special place. There is a beautiful pool located on the property that is set in the most perfect location.............lush greenery all around, magnificent views, and when the air is still one can hear the rehearsals and performances taking place at Tanglewood across the road. The summer home of the Boston Symphony orchestra, Tanglewood, is right across the road and one can walk to performances within minutes, saving having to drive and park and sit in traffic on popular concert nights!
There is also an excellent restaurant that serves dinner Friday-Sunday nights and continental breakfasts that include fruit, breads, cereals, juices, coffee/tea are served daily and are included in the cost of the stay. One can always add delicious eggs, pancakes and other hot breakfast fare. The wait staff is lovely with charming young folks who are most happy to serve you.
The Inn seems to attract very lovely people. Over the years, we have met very interesting and friendly people.

All in all I highly recommend the Apple Tree Inn for an absolutely heavenly, relaxing, and yet energizing stay. Culture and charm abound!

Room Tip: Depends on what you want. One can stay in the main house with the most charming rooms appointed wit...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This was my first stay in the Apple Tree Inn. I stayed at the Inn for several days when my mother was hospitalized in the area. I found my room to be charming, with the many antiques, and they were doing a great job keeping the decor of the rooms and downstairs area true to the age of the building. I loved the history of the area and the Inn itself. The food was good at breakfast, with an option to purchase a larger meal of eggs, etc. if need be. I did not need anything as there was a lot of choice on the continental breakfast. There is a beautiful view if you eat on the porch, or you can chose to eat inside if the weather was not good. I hope to return some time when my husband can accompany me. I do not think it is a place for small children, unless they like to swim. There is a pool, but not much else for children.

Room Tip: There are no elevators, so if climbing stairs is an issue, this is not the place for you.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Linda W
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The redeeming factors are the pretty grounds and continental breakfast on the screened-in porch is nice (but they charge extra for anything like eggs, etc). I can speak only of the rooms in the annex, maybe the significantly more expensive ones in main house are better (?). But for over $200 a night, the room we had in the annex was a pretty crappy room. Carpenter ants were dropping like flies from the bathroom vent onto and around the toilet. The room is old and worn, walls fading, older carpet, old bathroom (but everything did work), small t.v. The entire annex building itself has a bit of a musty smell. Now maybe if you came off season during the week, the price would be low enough to justify this. If folks coming out of NYC or Boston think this is a great escape and think it's a reasonable price, then more power to'em. But I cannot recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank travelerBobDc
appleres, Owner at Apple Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

I am sorry that the guest was disappointed and did not think the Apple Tree Inn was a good value. I believe that the value we give is comparable with the other lodging establishments in Lenox. Some of them might have newer, fancier rooms, but none can compete with the Apple Tree for the views, the beauty of the property and the beautiful pool and deck, both with mountain views. He could have stayed at the new chain hotel on route #7 in a standard room for $350 a night. But it is located right on the highway, and does not have our views or beautiful pool and you can't walk to Tanglewood.

I wish Traveler Bob had mentioned which room he occupied, so I could check the condition of the carpet, wallpaper, etc. I am not aware of any rooms with the problems he cited. We do refurbish and repair on a regular basis.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We received a gift certificate as a wedding present for a stay at the Apple Tree Inn. We went there in October and stayed in the lodge. The room was fine with view on a bunch of trees but there was nothing much to complain about. The owner, who looked indeed like the Inn handyman and could be called "Mr Personality" did not want to tell us, when we checked in, the total cost for 2 nights. I had to insist and this because I wanted to make sure the amount on the certificate would cover our stay.
Breakfast was plentiful, although there was only one two slot toaster for over 30 people, so we had to wait along with many other guests for our turn before the direction finally realized it might be a good idea to get another toaster. It took them about 30 minutes to figure that out.

Since there was a remaining balance on our certificate we returned to the Inn on June 29 for a one night stay over. That was by the way the only reason we decided to go back since our first stay did not impress us at all. This time we reserved a room in the main building adding another $100 to the balance thinking the room would be nicer. What a mistake! The room was much smaller that it appears in the picture, there was not much view at all, we had to call for a missing bulb in one of the lamps and the extension cord (the kind manufactured in the 50's) was totally useless. As a result, we had to choose between using the clock or the bedside lamp. The bathtub has a clog and we could paddle in our water while showering. There was a foul smell in the bathroom, most likely because of clogged pipes. We were however, pleasantly surprised to find a couple of sample-size bars of soap and a shampoo.
The next day we asked for an extended check-out time of 2:00 PM. We were told we could stay until 2:00 pm for an extra $25.00, even though the receptionist told us that the room was not booked that night. This extra 2 hours would have permit us to go hiking, come back, paddle in the bathtub before taking the road. We decided we did not want to enrich the owner more than we already had, so we left.
Upon arrival in Providence later that day, I realized I forgot my cell phone charger in room 107 and called them immediately to ask if the housekeeper found it. I was told that the room had not been cleaned and to call the next day. My husband made that phone call the following day. He was told that the charger had been indeed retrieved. He then ask the receptionist to send it express mail, but to call us before to give us the price for sending it via express mail, giving us the alternative to have it sent regular mail should the fees be too high. None of this was done. They sent it express mail anyhow for a cost of $14.10, rounding up to $15.00 to compensate them for the effort involved. 90 cents! Unbelievable. I suggested in a letter I wrote to them to take the 90 cents and to apply it to buying an extension cord made in our century. Needless to say, we will never set foot again in this barn. If it was not for the fact that Tanglewood is located across the street, their unusual take on customer service would not doubt seal their doom. They rank #15 out of 24? I cannot imagine the state of the other 9.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank catherine D
appleres, Owner at Apple Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

The guests visited the Apple Tree Inn at two really beautiful times of year, fall with the beautiful mountain views of the changing foliage, and summer, the flowers were particularly lush this year and the pool is unsurpassed. Many guests say it is like an infinity pool disappearing into the mountains beyond. We are really sorry that some small issues interfered with their enjoyment of our spectacular property and beautiful rooms. I would like to urge any guest in any lodging establishment anywhere to take any problems to staff/management immediately. Many problems are easily solved.

I am not sure why the total cost of the stay was an issue, it is on the check-in sheet that the guest is presented with and asked to sign at check in. My husband, the other owner, always wears Land’s End t-shirts or polo shirts (tucked in), cargo pants or shorts and running shoes or sandaIs and is always clean and clean shaven.

I wish the guests had contacted the front desk who could have given instructions on opening the drain on the antique claw-foot tub and showed them the open outlet next to the bed, or given them another extension cord from our vast collection. We try to be ready to address any guest need. We will post instructions in the #7 bath on the use of the drain in the tub.

I also must apologize for being tardy in getting our second four-slot toaster out at breakfast.
As a business, we do try to recover some of the cost for providing extra services to the guests, such as late checkouts and handling left items. We offered the guest a 1pm checkout at no charge. The guest did request express shipping and did not make it clear to the reservationist that he expected us to take the package to the post office, call with the cost, get his okay and then, possibly, make another trip to the post office to send it by the selected method.

We do have beautiful rooms, many with views, and a spectacular mountain views from many part of the property. I am so sorry that the guests did not enjoy these.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed here twice, both times around xmas just for a nice snowy weekend in the berkshires. good rates in the winter, and we stayed in the lodge both times which was nice.

Unfortunately, the second time we stayed in December 2012, there was a big family having a reunion there and taking up the ENTIRE inn. their stuff was everywhere - all over the couches, and toys all over the floor. they were loud, they didn't try to share space, and their children were not the best behaved and were running around 24/7.

i really wish the inn keepers had told us that there would be a family of approximately 30 staying at the same time because this really took away from the experience. we will only consider coming back if we know that there won't be a family reunion monopolizing the entire property.

Room Tip: choose second floor of lodge.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MinusEight
appleres, Owner at Apple Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

We are happy that the guests enjoyed their two prior stays at the Apple Tree Inn and am truly sorry that their December stay was less than enjoyable.

They are absolutely correct that they should have been warned that there was a family reunion taking most of the rooms. We usually do try to warn guests about weddings and other events at the Apple Tree Inn during their stay, but totally dropped the ball on this one.

We will certainly correct this in the future.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox
Courtyard Marriott Lenox Berkshires
Cornell Inn Lenox
Cornell Inn Lenox
#1 of 20 in Lenox

Been to Apple Tree Inn? Share your experiences!