“Customer service not great”
Review of Apple Tree Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lenox
Apple Tree Inn
Ranked #8 of 19 Lenox B&B and Inns
Falmouth
“Customer service not great”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I booked a last minute 2 night stay at the Apple Tree Inn in order to attend a seminar at Kripalu. There was no lodging space available at Kripalu and the proximity of this inn made it a good second choice. Unfortunately the speaker I wanted to see cancelled the seminar 2 days before the scheduled start date. Kripalu refunded my fee entirely. The owner of Apple Tree was not as gracious. Even though my reservation at her Inn had been booked for less than 36 hours, she kept $25 of my deposit as a cancellation fee and will keep the remainder ($55) to be used only as a credit towards a future stay. So this will essentially be a waste of $80 as I am unlikely to stay there for any reason other than a Kripalu seminar and would normally try to stay on-site at Kripalu. This reservation was unusual due to the last minute booking.
As a CPA I can understand that the owner's business was negatively impacted by this cancellation, however, I believe the negative goodwill associated with this charge far outweighs the short term business loss. I feel as if I was charged $80 to have a reservation for 36 hr plus the disappointment of my seminar cancellation. The Inn owner is the only one that benefited from the cancellation and she didnt even have the courtesy to contact me directly. Instead I could only talk to a manager or via email. I consider this poor customer service and will stay at Kripalu or Ironwood Inn for my next seminar.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank M M T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We stayed here for one night prior to a stay at Kripalu, extending our retreat while adding only moderate expense. The inn is a bit slapdash and the service haphazard, but in all it's much more atmospheric and spacious than Kripalu's dorm-like rooms. The cold buffet breakfast was tasty, and while one might resent paying extra for hot food, I appreciated that this was a way to keep room charges down by not subsidizing egg-eaters. We were in the main house (at the suggestion of another reviewer, who warned against the mildewy lodge), Room #15, which is on the 3rd floor. How wise it was to add a skylight to the slanted eaves, which might otherwise have felt claustrophobic! Charming floral decor without becoming cloying.

Here's why I don't give it an excellent rating: First, there was no porch light on, making for a precarious entry to the place (although allowing us to enjoy the velvet darkness and glittering stars of the Berkshire winter). Second, there was no recommendation for a dinner spot in Lenox. Third, we got up for the 8 am breakfast we were told would await us, only to be told that it would start at 9, and then later this was retracted but it started at 9 anyway. Fourth, when we asked for green tea bags we were told that there weren't any, but after we drank our distant second favorite, green tea was produced. So you see why I say slapdash and haphazard.

Nonetheless, it might be nice to try the place for a day or two in the summer to use the pool and walk over to Tanglewood. The location can't be beat.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ISyzigi
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I stayed here while visiting the nearby Kripalu Yoga Center. This is a great option if you're getting a daypass and don't qualify for lodging at Kripalu or if you're coming with friends/a partner and want a cheaper and MUCH nicer housing option than Kripalu offers.

It is definitely less convenient than staying at Kripalu itself since it's a good 10 minute walk so you can't just run back to your room to get something. On the other hand, during off-peak times you're paying much less for the accommodations by staying at the Apple Tree Inn and you're getting a way better place to stay. Kripalu doesn't have air conditioning, a pool, or super comfy beds, but the Apple Tree Inn has all of the above. The walking path is not that well lit so if you're staying here in the winter when it gets dark early I'd recommend driving the short distance between the two locations instead of walking back in the dark.

Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank chins01
North Grosvenor Dale, Connecticut
Reviewed December 14, 2011

I had my wedding at the Apple Tree on 11/2011 and just have to say what a wonderful experience it was.My Husband and I were very happy we chose the Apple Tree as our wedding location. They were extremely accomodating to us & to all of our guests, who had nothing but great comments about the Inn. We were fortunate to have had warm weather to be able to have our ceremony out on the patio with the beautiful view before us as the sun set. From the rooms, the food, the staff the entire weekend went without a hitch. The grounds are beautiful and inspiring. The rooms were great & cozy. I will definitely visit again & I suspect many of our guests will return as well.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
West New York, New Jersey
Reviewed December 3, 2011

I stayed at the Apple Tree Inn in 11/2011 while attending a seminar at Kripalu. The best part was the landscape, fruit ladde trees, and overall cleanliness of the inn. The host and other attendants were very professional, sweet and kind. I got a room at the lodge that I did not care for and was relocated to the main building which has lovely rooms with very victorian style and comfortable beds. The inn serves breakfast which is in its dining room. Beautiful settings and very sunny rooms. In the morning the lobby and dining areas are bathed with warm sunlight. A definite place to revisit. The rates were decent. I will definitey stay here on my future trips to Kripalu and would highly recommend other nature enthusiasts as well as vacationers to pick this spot.

There are some nice restaurants in the vicinity and lovely walking landscape if you are into exercising.

Fresh air and lovely landscape.

Room Tip: 1. Sunny Room 2. Room in the Main House 3. Always take care of your keys. 4. Always check the rat...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank ZJ-161718
northeast u.s.
Reviewed November 14, 2011

This was our second stay at the Apple Tree Inn and it was as great this time as last year! The owners went out of their way for us, giving helpful advice and directions on places to visit. The inn is beautifully furnished - there is always coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc. waiting for those who want it, lending to the relaxed atmosphere. The breakfast was ample and leisurely with no one rushing us out. The views from the inn are incredible overlooking a lake and nearby Tanglewood. Our room was spotless and quiet and the shower worked very well. While there is no television, we can honestly say it was never missed. We heartily recommend this inn.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house are great because it is easy to relax in the lounge, with or without a firep...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luvstravel2
Durham, NH
Reviewed November 9, 2011

The rooms in the main Inn are comfortable and the Inn is very clean. The wood fire in the living room is wonderful on a cold day. The antiques are lovely. The inn was close to Kripalu so you can do a day rate there. It snowed when we were there and staff were kind enough to help us clean the car. The inn appealed to women over 40.

Now for the glitches. There is no one at the Inn after 11:00 pm, so if something goes wrong you are on your own. We had a smoke alarm going off in our room at night because of a low battery. There was no one around to help us. We called the owners but the alarm did not go off until 6 am when the maintainence staff arrived. We did not sleep all night and were not compensated in any way. Not great for business. For this reason we would not be back.

Room Tip: Located near tanglewood and kripalu.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Adams
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Yankee Inn
Cornell Inn Lenox
Cornell Inn Lenox
#1 of 19 in Lenox
Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Apple Tree Inn? Share your experiences!