“Worse Than Hell's Kitchen!”
Review of Firefly

Firefly
Ranked #28 of 61 Restaurants in Lenox
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
New York, NY
Reviewed February 25, 2006

First, our waitress was clueless: there is a Wine Spectator citation at the hostess stand, yet our waitress knew nothing about any of the wines offered, and she also could not answer even the most basic questions about items on the menu. Next, the food took FOREVER to emerge from the kitchen (45 minutes for appetizers and then almost an hour after that for entrees???) and when it did arrive it was the wrong temperature and not especially good. Finally, the "manager" was completely oblivious to what was going on and was rather unpleasant when we, very politely, told her. There are too many other, really good, restaurants in the area; don't waste your time here.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed September 5, 2005

We had dinner at Firefly and were hoping for a great meal. The restaurant's decor is lovely with outdoor and indoor seating. However, the food is not on par with the decor. A couple of us ordered hamburgers that had a horrible smell. When we asked the waitress what it could be, the chef said that they use "cryovac" beef and when cooked it has an unusual smell. They didn't charge us for the food, but we expected more (i.e., fresh meat) from a restaurant like Firefly.

3  Thank kippergirl
Wayland, MA
Reviewed July 19, 2005

I cannot say if the food was any good, because I never got most of my order. The waitress was an epic space case, got orders wrong or missed them altogether. I cancelled my appetizer when it still hadn't come after I finished my salad, (even though I asked the waitress to bring them together) and when it came 15 minutes later, she seemed surprised that I did not want it.
The restaurant appeared understaffed, and it looked like amateur night. When inquiries were politely made to the manager as to the whereabouts of dinner, she angrily told us she had been there a week, and implied we were to blame. It bordered on comical it was so absurd. She needs a job with less stress.
This was altogether a frightful experience, and I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed July 16, 2005

This was one of the worst dining experiences of my life. Our party of six (one couple from NY, one from Boston and one from SF) arrived at 6:15 per our reservation and were seated promptly. We immediately informed the server that we needed to leave by 7:45 for a concert at Tanglewood, and she told us no problem. She then disappeared and despite repeated attempts to get her attention, did not come back to our table for 10 minutes. At 6:25 we ordered two bottles of wine, our starters, and our entrees. One bottle of wine came, but again, the waitress disappeared and would not come back over to our table for the next fifteen minutes. At 6:45 she brought the other bottle of wine, but no food, and we expressed some concern about the time. She told us not to worry. At 7:05 she brought out 4 of our 6 starters, and when we asked about the other two, she said she must have forgotten to write them down. By 7:15 we were finished with our starters (we never received the last two), and we were getting nervous about having time to eat our entrees and get out of there on time, so we asked to speak with a manager. The hostess came over and informed us that she was the acting manager and that our order had been put into the kitchen at 6:40, so we would just have to wait. No apology, no sympathy, just a surly attitude that it was our fault. We told her that if our food was not on the table soon, we would have to get up and leave and she told us that she "could not allow us to do that". Right!

We decided to wait a little longer since it was too late to get anything to eat anywhere else, and a 7:30 they finally brought us our entrees. Again, no apology, no offer of dessert or coffee to make up for their lousy service, just plates of lousy food slammed down in front of us (I could write a whole post on the bad food, but it was unexceptionally bad, unlike the service).

We asked for the check immediately so we could eat and pay at the same time (not exactly what we had in mind, but now a necessity). A couple of us went to use the restrooms (they were disgustingly filthy) while the rest waited outside. Now here is the best part . . . as we waited for the rest of our party, on the public sidewalk, we told some people who were looking at the menu about our bad experience. A minute later, a waiter came out onto the porch where there were at least 5 tables of diners, and told us that if we were going to say bad things about the restaurant, we had to get off their property or he would call the police.

We told him that were waiting for the last member of our party and were standing on a public sidewalk telling people about our actual bad experiences, so go ahead and call the police. He then accused us of complaining because we wanted a "free meal".

If you want lousy food served with a snarl, this is the place for you. A “free meal”? Most restaurants would have offered something to make up for the bad service, but even an apology would have been enough.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 20, 2005

I wanted to like this dinner. My fiance and I went away to a beautiful inn, and found the menu for the Firefly restaurant in Lenox at the Inn. It sounded great. It was an expensive restaurant, but it was a romantic getaway for us. When we arrived, there was no host/hostess. The bartender was chatting with some people and yelled over to ask if we had reservations. He sat us and told us our waiter would be over soon. No, actually he came back. Don't know if they were short staffed, but it was a Tuesday night in the winter in Lenox, and there was almost no one else there. He brought us our drinks (one a margarita, and one a mixed whiskey drink), and they were the worst drinks, not just too strong, but both were just disgusting. I don't know what brand alcohol it was, but they were terrible. The bartender came back again, and was very short with us, and took our order, never once smiling. He brought us each one roll each, the highlight of the evening, and then brought us our meals. I started feeling sick during the meal, but thought maybe it was just the drink. I thouhgt the food would make me feel better. Midway through the meal I told my fiance I really didn't need anymore food, and he told me he didn't either because he didn't feel well. I told him I didn't either and in fact was really beginning to feel nauseous! We could never figure out was it the feta dip, the red pepper potatoes, the vegetables. All I can think is maybe the cheese had gone bad. But that doesn't explain the bad, really awful drinks, and the unfriendly service. We paid the very costly check, and when we were leaving, saw the bartender was back chatting with his friends, and we figured maybe that was why he had been so unfriendly, it wasn't his job to wait, and he wanted to chat with his friends. No goodbye from him, or from whomever was to be our waitress, and we went back to the Inn feeling very sick on our last night in Lenox. This was the end to our romantic evening, because we just lied in bed the rest of the night taking zantac and seltzer to feel better. My fiance was really frustrated because he wanted our evening to be very beautiful, and we spent it sick, which I still feel. I cannot recommend enough that if you go to a Lenox restaurant, to not go to Firefly! Look for friendly service and good food (or at least one or the other?!!)

9  Thank cpalmermackay