“Good local option”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were introduced to this restaurant by the innkeeper where we were staying in Lenox. In March some of the more noted restaurants in town were closed, and we were looking for options we had not tried previously. Trattoria Il Vesuvio provided a warm welcome and good "home-cooked style" Italian food on a blustery and snowy night.

What would have made this an "excellent?" This kind of neighborhood place - unpretentious - can be better than what we experienced. The food was hot and tasty, but offered standard classics and lacked anything really special. The server, while friendly, was not very engaging - she seemed rather bored - maybe because there were not many diners that night - and spent a lot of time around the bar area chatting with other restaurant personnel. Overall, while friendly and serving good home-cooked style food, it lacked the energy and vibrancy of the best neighborhood restaurants we have experienced.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Wow. I cannot say enough about my experience at this restaurant. The food was excellent from the appetizers, through the main course and of course coffee and dessert! The food has an authentic Italian taste - so unprocessed and fresh. The waiter we had was knowledgeable and very personable and friendly. It was a cold winter night, and the wood fire was just the right touch. Excellent food, amazing service, and great atmosphere. Who would have thought you could get authentic, homemade Italian food in the Berkshires! I can't wait to go back. What a wonderful experience.

1  Thank WearyTravelerPA
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had a wonderful evening of great food. The staff were excellent. We were met at the door and immediately were treated as if we were family, led to our table and were served at an easy relaxing pace. The food was perfect. We started with the most delicious bruschetta, made with sweet plum tomatoes and fresh garlic on Crusty homemade bread, like my grandma used to make. I then had the Chicken Parm, another great experience. Made to perfection. I finished with a dessert that was one of the best I've had. Tartuffe at Caffe. This restaurant brought back so many fond memories of my childhood at Sunday Dinnner with my grandmother. I can't wait to return. I only wish it were closer to my home!

2  Thank GUBBIOO
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Over a decade or so my wife and I have occasionally eaten at this establishment. The food was never bad, although I can't say I would rave over it. The service was spotty because of the apparent feeling that anyone in their family was acceptable as a server. The prices were right and I can recommend going, but I don't believe I would be going back in the near future. I've seen references to the "ridiculously overpriced" Trattoria Rustica but personally we prefer that place over this. We LIKE the reduced lighting and don't feel that a Saturday evening should be spent in a restaurant that is lit up like Times Square and the pricing is something that one needs to feel comfortable with no matter where one goes.

1  Thank rhett69
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My Wife and I went here on a date night. After finding another restaurant over booked. I had eaten here once before but was for a company function. Our Hostess was pleasant and welcoming. The appetizers were good. Note: this Restaurant Menu is A la carte. But Still competitively priced.It is a quaint little restaurant. the food is authentic and made to order so some wait time is involved. I had the eggplant parm and My wife had the shrimp and salmon dish they both were delicious. The Restaurant is clean and the staff pleasant. The only thing Both My wife and I thought needed changing is their window treatments. (Needed a little updating) All in all had a enjoyable experience and definitely would go back again.