“Be careful of the sushi”
Review of jae's asian bistro - CLOSED

jae's asian bistro
Cuisines: Sushi, Korean, Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Award-winning Pan-Asian cuisine, including Sushi, Pad Thai, and Korean specialties.
massachusetts
“Be careful of the sushi”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We've eaten at Jae's many times and I previously gave it a very good review. I will say again that everything we have previously ordered was top notch, in preparation, presentation, taste and generosity of portion size. Yesterday was the first time we tried the sushi. My wife chose the spider roll and found it to be up to expectations. I ordered the Red Dragon roll, and I am certain that it was not prepared on site. The waiter insisted it was, but the rice was cold and hard, and the pieces too clinically perfect to have been done by hand to order. The plate came with what appeared to be four pieces of the roll, but two of the pieces were stuck together and had to be pulled apart.....a dead giveaway. Moreover, and the reason for this review, was that I became ill during the night with mild GI distress. I should have been more insistant at the table, but it didn't taste funky. Besides which, compared with the spider roll my wife had, it was a very clinical, supermarket sushi presentation, and I have ALWAYS had rather creative presentations of Red Dragon rolls. I even had a photo of one which I showed the waiter.
In short, I would advise against sushi at Jae's.

• Visited May 2014

Great Barrington, Massachusetts
“UGH! Horrible food and bad service!”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Thought we'd try this place out, having passed it several times on Rte. 7. This may be one of the top three worst dining experiences we've ever had. We were seated in the bar area at approximately 5pm. It was very quiet, with just a few other diners. The bartender was acting as waiter. When my friend asked what kind of soda they had, the bartender replied "Coke." When we asked if there were any other choices, he almost sneered his response.."and Coke products." He clearly did not want to be bothered listing the soda options. Eventually he relented and let us know what beverages there were for the friend not having a cocktail. It only got worse. After ordering hanger steak and some chicken entree (that I still have nightmares about) we waited for about 45 minutes for the food to arrive. No apologies, no explanations, no checking to see how the food was after it was delivered. The hanger steak, which was sliced (hacked?) into small pieces, was covered with a gelatinous sauce. I've served my labrador retriever much more appetizing looking food. It tasted even worse than it looked. Oh, and the meals were delivered on a dirty, rattling cart that was covered with crumbs. Yuck. We couldn't wait to get out of there and will never be back.

• Visited April 2014
London, Canada
“Extensive menu of Asian delights”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Have eaten here three times and always had the same things...miso soup and tempura shrimp. I found the service fine and the atmosphere quiet and inviting. I ate here with three friends and they enjoyed what they ordered, but I can't remember what they had. It is a casual, large place but the booths and the Buddha statues make it feel very inviting.

• Visited February 2014
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
“A favorite”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Jae's is a favorite restaurant for us and we have followed the owner/chef around as he has opened and closed several restaurants. We stopped by recently; during the off season (Sept.- May) we usually don't need a reservation and can still get seated pretty quickly. They have a bar and quite a bit of seating. The restaurant has a fair amount of booths which my children love to sit in and there is interesting Asian decor like a huge statue of an Asian Budda in the entrance area. I usually order Shrimp or Chicken Pad Thai which is usually really good and a huge portion (I always have enough for lunch the next day). My children love the Bento box dinners and they even have a California roll Bento box dinner which my daughter orders. The sushi is really excellent and when we brought our South Korean exchange student here, she loved the traditional Korean dishes like bi bim bop (my husband loved it too). Not much of a dessert selection, but you can go across the parking lot to Chocolate Springs if you need some sweets!

• Visited March 2014
Lenox, Massachusetts
“Poor Service”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Two friends and I went for dinner on a Sunday evening on a holiday weekend. They would not seat us at a table for four because it was a busy weekend! We will not return.

• Visited March 2014