“Thourough yoga training and peaceful R&R setting”

Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health
Ranked #1 of 6 Spas & Wellness in Lenox
Columbia, Missouri
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Thourough yoga training and peaceful R&R setting”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

I was in residence for a month and the staff were friendly, many of them volunteers. Outside of the program I was registered for, I was able to experience other classes and they were quality also.
The dorms are an inexpensive way to stay but be prepared for bare minimum amenities. I stayed in a large dorm with 20+ beds and we were fortunate to have a accessible bathroom with shower and toilet. The smaller 10-12 bed dorms must use the bathrooms down the hall. I had friends who stayed in a shared 2 twin bed room and to envision it, think cruise ship room in the lower level. Yes, they are that small. If you need nicer amenities book at the Annex but understand the style is austere as well. But you are here for the R & R right?

The food is wonderful and the dinning hall staff are very friendly! Food is self-served cafeteria line but don't be put off by that. When you find your favorite organic dish or freshly baked good such as ginger scones or carrot raisin muffins that means you can return for more and take a couple back to your room for afternoon snacks! Take your tray and eat outside and at the picnic tables while enjoying the view of the lake and hills.

The trails are great but beware the map is not accurate for Brother's Trail. Check with the front desk people and they will guide you. Very serene and wonderful place to rejuvenate.
Of course the yoga classes, noon dance, and drum circle are equally invigorating. Choose your preference and experience different instructors to experience the same class but with a different flavor.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank Freyja3gems

Stonington, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Very disappointed in the classic Dr.Hauschka facial”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I treated myself to a Hauschka facial ($!75) -- I've had this treatment elsewhere and really enjoy the combination of massage and facial; at other places, I've left glowing and with my face smoother and not puffy (lymph work?).

What a disappointment the Kripalu "treatment" was! They did use Hauschka products and the girl who did it was nice enough -- but there was no massage at all and she spent a lot of the time recommending that I buy various products. It was a HUGE disappointment -- what I had looked forward to as a treat ended up being a rip-off.

I did not stay there, but I did wander around for quite awhile as it had been a long drive -- my impressions were that the facility itself was ugly and very corporate in feel; the food seemed delicious (juding by looks and smells); and that some staff members loved their jobs and cared about their clients and others did not -- to them, it was just a job.

I wouldn't ever go back -- I guess I am grateful that I only wasted $175 rather than the cost of a retreat!

4 Thank Georgiana D
Georgia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Come to Kripalu and come home to yourself !”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

For years, I had heard of Kripalu from friends and placed it on my bucket list.

With a change in schedule, a visit to Kripalu became possible.

And, with a mindful decision to seize the day,
my long-anticipated visit to and participation at Kripalu became a reality.

If you are in search of more than a vacation and if you are considering a retreat that explores the body-mind connection for optimal health and well-being, Kripalu is a top choice.

Kripalu's programs are holistic and results are rejuvenation on every level.

Come to Kripalu and come home to yourself !

Visited July 2014
1 Thank F-J-1414
RI
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“New experience.”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I have never been to Kripalu before, and I was very worried that I was not "earthy, crunchy" enough to be comfortable in this setting. Everyone I met, staff and guests were all very warm and friendly and the workshop I attended was excellent. The presenter was knowledgable, intelligent and presented a wealth of information in a well organized manner that made a tremendous impact on me. It was amazing to be surrounded by so many people, yet it was quiet. It was a wonderful time to disconnect from the constant technology and fast pace of day to day life.
I'm new to Yoga, but even as a neophyte I feel I gained much from just a few days of mindfulness, stillness and quiet. The food was delicious, and I enjoyed the fish and chicken and was grateful for those options. I enjoyed silent breakfast; a nice way to start the day.
The view and campus is spectacular.
The only negative for me the shared bathroom. I was fortunate that I did not have a roommate, and the bed was surprisingly comfortable.
I had read trip advisor reviews before I went and was worried about the availability of coffee as it is not served in the dining room, thankfully the cafe is open at 7 AM and delicious coffee is available there.
I would possibly go back again, not sure if I'd opt for the shared room.

1 Thank Travelgirl012
New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Revive your soul”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I've been visiting Kripalu when I've had moments to spare since I first discovered it 12 years ago. I go back to rebalance, renew, and remember that humanity can be, in fact, essentially good and kind and safe.

I have been practicing yoga for the same amount of time, but one does not need to be a hard-core yogi to reap the benefits of this highly spiritual and nurturing place. There's dancing, informative life-improvement seminars, nutrition and cooking classes, swimming, kayaking, hiking, sauna-ing, and a spa facility with customized and healing massages and facials and the like. There's something for everyone.

As soon as you hit the front lawn sprawling with its unmatchable view of the Berkshires, you know you're in a sanctuary. The interior is similar with many sunny places to sit, read, meditate, and relax. You can do as little or as much as you want, and it is all inclusive; meaning the ridiculously reasonable room rates (which are about the same as a mid-priced or economy hotel, depending on your choice of accomodation) are all-inclusive. All classes and activities on the R&R schedule, and three square, gorgeous, organic meals are included.

You really cannot find anything else like this. They're a triple threat: affordable, the ambience is perfect, and the services offered are top-notch with some of the most talented, well-educated, and generous staff in the world.

I will never stop going to Kripalu as long as it is around, and I hope it is for as long as I am.

2 Thank Gennarose