“Ambitious Little Jewel in the Berkshires”
Review of Nudel Restaurant

Nudel Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 61 Restaurants in Lenox
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I'm very much in agreement with recent reviews. Nudel is a very good spot that can produce some wonderfully creative dishes. It is intimate, and fills up quickly, although on the Friday night we ate there, there were open tables until about 7 pm. Our apps were the best part of the meal, notably soft shell crab tacos and a "massaged" kale salad. Both were outstandingly good. The mains were also interesting, if not quite as compelling as the apps. Skirt steak was served with kimchi fried rice and squid rings, so global Asian food has arrived in the Berkshires. The wine list is compact and reasonably priced. Our server was gracious and knowledgable. Overall, a great choice to which we would happily return.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

Nudel is famous for their eclectic menu and fresh ingredients. The food is almost always terrific, but you will get a miss every now and then. During our last meal the orecchietti in a rich bone marrow tomato sauce was terrific. The menu listed it as "spicy" but there was no heat at all. The trout with couscous and peas was an excellent balance of flavors, and the hake and clam fritters were good.

The miss this meal was the marinated squid which was far too bland, and that brings me to the minor downsides of Nudel.

At the best restaurants every dish should be a winner. Here, we have never had a multi-course meal where at least one dish wasn't average or below average. Also, more importantly, the service is a very small step above a diner. The staff never give the impression that they really care about making your evening special, and they don't seem particularly knowledgeable for a restaurant with such an inventive and well executed menu.

Prices are fair for the quality of the food and portion sizes vary considerably depending on the dish but are usually satisfying.

It's a fun place and worth a visit. We return a few times each year. The misses now and then are offset by the variety and interest of the menu. Improving the service would go a long way in making it a very special restaurant.

Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

This place is a true gem and changes the menu enough day to day that multiple visits are a must! Creative, delicious, food presented beautifully. I would put it on my top five all time restaurants.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

This is a small place, however, that contributes to the fun as you see others' food and, if you're lucky, get tips from them. I was there in asparagus season, and there were 3 wonderful starters to choose from that we're different from one another. I love places that not only use fresh seasonal ingredients but also treat them in more than one appealing way. Highly recommend this place. BTW, the other plates were also great.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

This restaurant is worth driving to Lenox for. I will travel there from Boston just to go again.
I eat out 4 or 5 times a week. I have to rack my brain to come up with a meal I will remember like this one. Absolutely the freshest ingredients. The chicken melted in my mouth. We shared the pasta with fresh tomatoes and ricotta, and were fighting for the last bite. All of the ingredients melted together into a symphony on flavors, I know that sounds over the top, but it is true. The sausage appetizer has a mustard sauce that was incredible. Everyone in the restaurant was talking to their neighbor about how delicious the food was.
The most astounding thing is the price was very reasonable . In NYC or Boston, we would have paid more than double for it.
This chef is going places. I hope to get back before he does!