“Outstanding Food!!!”

Cuisines: Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I went this past weekend to the Gateways Inn. We had an wonderful time. I can honestly say I have never eaten so well in my life! The staff was wonderful and the food was amazing! It's only an hour away from us so I am seriously thinking about going back just to eat. I am not a pancake eater at all, but Michelle, the owner, guaranteed me I would love her blueberry pancakes. I wasn't even going to bother trying one because I really don't like them, however, when she brought them to the table, I could tell just by looking at them that they weren't a typical, heavy pancake. I took half of one. Mind you, i had already filled up on the homemade granola that I also ended up purchasing for home. I tried hard as i could not to go back for that other half of pancake, but I had too. It was soooo good and had I not had so much granola, I probably would have eaten another one. Our dinners were out of this world and they definitely gave plenty. You will not be sorry by staying at Gateways Inn.

1  Thank Diane B

Reviewed January 9, 2013

The food here is outstanding- we had steak, potatoes, duck, salad- everything was wonderful and comparable to any NYC restaurant. You will not be disappointed!

Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

We had an enjoyable meal at the gateways restaurant. Feeling too lazy to venture out in the cold, we decided to stay in for dinner. It was a good choice. From the delicious, fresh warm bread, to the tasty mushroom crostini and the velvety butternut squash bisque, not to mention the perfectly cooked pappardelle and the locally-made salted caramel ice cream, we enjoyed our meal.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Went for romantic New Year dinner. Took the early seating (6:30) as we are not familiar w/the area and did not want to drink and drive later in the evening. I asked about the caesar salad when making the reservation as my husband cannot eat cheese. Said they would be more than happy to make him a tossed salad instead. Also, took my charge as a guarantee we would show up. $140.00.
Met at door by extremely friendly owner who escorted us to the bar. Wonderful bartender. No other guests for the dinner (16 for this sitting should have warned us) arrived until about 6:25. We were in a side room as they did not want any overflow into the 9:30 sitting in the main dining room which was beautiful. While we were in pretty room not nearly as nice as the nicer main dining room looking over street and some of the town with the lights. All windows were covered in our room so as not to see side yard and back parking lot. Our room had none of the ambiance nor period feeling of the main room. Our dining room was probably added on at a much later date.
They served our apps and soup (very graciously giving my husband a soup over the app), App was good but no different than buying frozen at an upscale market. My husbands tossed salad was pieces of romaine w/croutons and vinegarette on the side. Nothing else..no tomato, cucumber, onion. Just lettuce and croutons. My caesar had less than a tablespoon of dressing! If I had not seen a small speck on 1 piece of lettuce I would have thought they forgot to put it on. Again, lettuce and croutons. No additional cheese sprinkled on which even fast food restaurants do! No anchovies...no flavor at all. I love garlic. Croutons had so much garlic they left a burning in my mouth. Only bits of flavor and way overpowering.
My husband got the sea bass. Skin left on which was very unappetizing. My tenderloin ordered medium rare. RAW lump of pure fat. Had to pry it apart with fork and knife to even see how it was cooked..which it wasn't at all. Waiter offered a new one but I was done after cutting into. Told him to charge me for the salad and app and I was done. Owner came over to apologize. I was offered another steak or the salmon. Told her I was done. Definately not going with the steak and I do not eat fish. As she was leaving our table another diner told her the tenderloin he had was wonderful. Owner then proceeded to state over other tables "See. his was good!" Thank goodness only 16 people in room as I was mortified. Like I commited a sin by saying it was not edible. She even agreed at our table that she had looked at my steak and it was not good and should not have been sent out. Needless to say the night out was ruined.
My husband had the apple, pear and cranberry crisp with cinnamon ice cream. Ice cream good as was the tart. I could have made the same tart any night of the week with 5 minutes to put together and toss in oven for 25 minutes.
They did comp my meal. Each was $70.00 prix fixe. Stopped at Abe and Louis in Boston on the way home. Excellent meal. Filet, sirloin, potato, spinach, oysters and 2 drinks. $127 including tax w/o tip. You do the math.
I am definately contacting the hotel who recommended Gateway. Such a shame.

6  Thank CindyKBoston
Reviewed December 17, 2012

You have to eat at Gateways if you're in the Berkshires. The food there is so phenomenal, it rivals some of the best restaurants in NYC in my opinion. So fresh, so delicious, with use of local and in-season ingredients. You won't be disappointed!