“Most accessible to Tanglewood! Delightful experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Eastgate Inn B&B

Eastgate Inn B&B
Ranked #8 of 20 Lenox B&B and Inns
Manila PHP
“Most accessible to Tanglewood! Delightful experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

As a solo traveler this time (since my husband could not join me on the Tanglewood leg of our US trip) and as a first-timer to the Tanglewood Music Festival, I was most pleased that Dalija Merritt, the owner of Eastgate Inn B&B, graciously arranged for my pick-up (for a reasonable fee) from the Albany airport (a little over an hour’s drive from Eastgate Inn). Dalija also offered me a lift to Lenox town centre on a Wednesday when I was able to catch two plays and a guided backstage tour at Shakespeare and Company, as well as attend the same day's performance of dramatic readings at the terrace of Edith Wharton’s Mount --- two places well worth visiting when you are in the Lenox area! On another afternoon when was going to Stockbridge, Dalija also let me ride with her to the Norman Rockwell Museum; during the drive, she was most helpful, pointing out the many sights along the way and giving recommendations on activities, transport and spots to visit. With Dalija’s caring and personalized attention, her Inn surely felt like a comfortable home away from home! She offers her umbrella, free use of her phone for calls within US/Canada, a bike if you will, plus all the nice little touches that make a difference. The rooms and toilets/bath are newly renovated and clean; pleasantly, the toilet/bath in my room even had a sunroof to make the day brighter!

Dalija’s continental breakfasts (served at the Inn’s patio overlooking a lovely garden) were generous and filling. So, on most days when I wanted to catch as many concerts, sessions and talks in Tanglewood, I usually just opted to grab simple lunch/dinner items at the Café in Tanglewood. (Restaurants in Lenox town centre in the other direction were a 20-to-25-minute walk from the Inn).

The inn is THE most accessible to/from Tanglewood! So easy a walk to Tanglewood's Harding gate which is the first gate you arrive at, coming from Eastgate Inn B&B!

Since I do not bike, I walked to and from Tanglewood during my weeklong stay, so I liked the fact that the sidewalk was along the West Street side of Eastgate Inn B&B and Tanglewood’s (Main, East or Harding) gates. (There was no sidewalk on the opposite lane of West Street.) That way it was a safer walk and I did not have to cross West Street. No uphill climbs either between the Inn and Tanglewood!

Do bring a flashlight if you are walking back to the Inn from Tanglewood after a weekday evening concert at Tanglewood's Ozawa Hall where attendance may be less and therefore cars on the road may be fewer and the street quite dark; Dalija will be willing to lend you her flashlight. However, after the more heavily-attended evening concerts at Tanglewood’s Koussevitzky Shed (the main and bigger concert venue), like the traditional annual “Tanglewood on Parade” and the Friday/Saturday evening concerts at the Shed, walking back to the Inn is pleasant, even late at night, since there are many cars along the road with the heavy after-concert traffic.

What a blessing it was to have discovered Eastgate Inn B&B as my base for an in-depth Tanglewood experience! Truly a delight!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank MC8_2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Dalija Merrit, is the perfect host.
She is friendly and accommodating in a low key helpful way.
The location is a short and enjoyable stroll from Lenox, Ma. It is right beside Tanglewood which is an amazing classical music hieve. Tanglewood backs onto a beautiful lake, so if you're a nature lover this Is the place for you. Lenox is a pretty town, associated with the arts. I went to visit Sienna Gallery , lovely, progressive, Contemporary Jewellery.
Also Mass Mocca - a super modern art museum.
East gate Inn is really clean, comfortable.
Dalija prides herself on making it a home away from home. She gushes with enthusiasm about what she will do next with this b&b, it is newly refurbished , it oozes excitement and possibility.
Dalija takes the time to listen to what YOU want to do, she gets an idea of your taste, what you would like to get from your break and tailors her suggestions accordingly.
As a single woman traveling alone, I felt very at ease - more like id dropped in to see my Lenox family!!
I whole heartedly reccomend a stay at Eastgate Inn.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Debbpau
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

All I have to say is the Eastgate Inn was an unexpected gem. My wife and I were really just looking for a B&B close to Tanglewood. We try and visit Tanglewood every summer and were just hoping for a clean and comfortable place, but what we found will hopefully be our go to Berkshire location for years to come. Delija is a fantastic and gracious host, and its only a matter of time before the word is out on the Eastgate Inn. My wife and I were actually laughing because we both had the same thought about writing this review. We feel strongly that Delija deserves a great write-up, but both feared that doing so might result in difficulty getting a room here in the future. Whatever, Delijah deserves it. Besides, not only does she get a great rating from us on the B&B alone, but I dont think there is a better location if you are visiting Tanglewood. You are walking distance to the main entrance. We had to drive, since we were traveling with my parents and my father requires a wheelchair/walker, but you can save yourself the headache of dealing with the pre/post-performance traffic and just walk. It's that close.

As for the rooms. We initially stayed in the 1st floor King bed the first night which was clean, comfortable and spacious. We then moved up to the second floor queen, since my parents needed a first floor room. The queen room was equally clean, though notably smaller than the king room. Delijah serves a large continental breakfast each morning between 8-10:30. Breakfast included fresh fruit, bagels/english muffins, yogurt and fresh baked goods. There is always coffee available (Keurig type with a nice selection of options), and several tea options as well. We made use of the back deck throughout the weekend. There is comfortable seating that can accommodate at least 20 people.

Please note, this is apparently only Delija's second season managing the Eastgate Inn. (any reviews before 2011 are from the prior owner) I think the only reason she is not ranked higher on trip advisor is due to the lack of reviews. So It's only a matter of time before the word is out on the Eastgate Inn!!! I just hope that next season we can get a room.

Room Tip: The location and sevice rating does not do this place justice. Excellent is an understatement.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mpdorf
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

We have been going to the East Gate Inn for many years, but we have never been as spoiled as we were on our recent visit. The new innkeeper, Dalija Merritt is just wonderful and she has quite a green thumb! The deck is adorned with a multitude flowers overlooking a lovely garden. We ate our ample breakfast including just baked muffins, cinnamon buns and banana bread out on the deck. Dalija is a source of all sorts of resources including local swimming and hiking spots. and we went to a lovely outdoor dinner conert at the Mount (Edith Wharton's place) on her recommendation. She also provided us with a cart, table and an umbrella so we could easily take our chairs and picnic basket with us as we walked to Tanglewood- a very short 10 minute walk from the inn. It's amazing to be able to walk to and from the concerts and not have to bother with the traffic and parking hassles. We just love this place and we'll be back again next summer!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 2helenek
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

We just came back from our first visit to Eastgate Inn and also, our first James Taylor concert at Tanglewood. It took us just 10 minutes to walk to the concert from Eastgate Inn. This property is beautifully landscaped and furnished. The huge back deck is filled with wicker furniture with comfy cushions and pillows. The deck overlooks the rest of the yard and the wooded area beyond that. It was just so relaxing. There are four rooms - 1 king, 2 queens and a (2) twin and they all have their own bathroom and TV and internet. The new owner Dalija was as gracious and welcoming as they come. Breakfast was fabulous with fresh fruits, hot and cold cereals, home made breads, bagels, jams, crousants, juice and a Keurig machine that was available all day long. I will definitely stay here the next time I am in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Deborah L
Northborough, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

We just came back from our first visit to the Eastgate Inn. It will certainly NOT be our last! This place is a hidden gem. It was an easy stroll to Tanglewood and NO traffic snarl for us! The inn is clean and comfy, and the innkeeper, Joan, is wonderful. We'll be back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mkl2209
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2009

Great small B&B located 1/4 mile from Tanglewood. Perfect walking distance.

We stayed in late August for the James Taylor concert. Joan is very friendly and welcoming. Breakfast was good, Joan had lots of tips on things to do during the day in the area. Walked to the concert, only 1/4 mile, and it was nice walking back and not fighting the legendary traffic. Rooms very nice and comfortable.

Overall we had a a great trip, and are looking forward to going back for our next trip

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Yankee Inn
Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn
Garden Gables Inn
Garden Gables Inn
#1 of 20 in Lenox

Been to Eastgate Inn B&B? Share your experiences!