“The buidling was dingy but the room was clean”

Magnuson Hotel Lenox
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Lenox
Boston!
“The buidling was dingy but the room was clean”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2006

Found this motel via an internet search and was happy with the rate and the location. Later some of the negative reviews were pointed out to me so I had some consternation.

The room was fine. Our only complaint was that the bed was made poorly, with bottom sheet only reaching the top edge of the mattresss while three feet overhang at the bottom.

The inner courtyard was nicely landscaped but the hallways between it and the parking lot were pretty beat up.

The two staffers I met were friendly and efficient. Even though we were leaving 1-1/2 hours before the free breakfast, the checkout guy offered to get us wantever we wanted from the kitchen.

While I wouldn't rate this place as luxury hotel, I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank GlideXC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
KC MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2006

We were in the neighborhood looking for Indian Cuisine and Found the Taj Palace and went in. It was friday night and they were not busy, but we really enjoyed the food. If you like Indian, I feel you will be pleasantly surprised.

Stayed July 2006
1 Thank cboekstal
North Easton, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2006

This may be one of the cheaper places to stay in the Berkshires in the summer season, but it still wasn't that cheap. And there are places that charge comparable rates (like the Best Western Black Swan down the road, where we've stayed before, but which was full this time) but give a much higher level of service and comfort.
This place is forlorn, and in bad need of some tender loving care (as well as an influx of capital, no doubt). The staff tries hard, and generally was quite friendly, but they don;t have much to work with. The place is generally ramshackle, and not terribly clean. It does have some kind of musty/moldy odor about it. It took three tries to get us a room that was (barely) acceptable: in the first, the automatic key didn't work; in the second, the door didn't lock from the outside (!); in the third, the air conditioning didn't work well, but I managed to take off the front cover and jimmy around with a couple of vents, and got it to work ok), Housekeeping is so-so (at best), and far from thorough (lots of dust in the corners and along the edges). The teleivison, however, worked fine-- as did the ice machine.
The pool looked pretty clean, and they have a rather nice (but basic) "courtyard" with lounge chairs set up, which seemed comfortable. But the hallways were dark and drear in the extreme, and the carpeting needed a real good cleaning.
The continental breakfast was ok, though it seemed a little disorganized. Due to overflow in the main room, some of us had to sit in the bar, which would have been fine had the lights been turned on.
The location is good, on the main road to Pittsfield, and only about 10 minutes or so from Tanglewood. On our next trip to the Berkshires, though, I'll look around some more nd try to find another place at a comparable price. Or, I'll start earlier and book a room at the Best Western Black Swan down the road.

• Liked — convenient location
  • Disliked — dirty and rundown
  • Tips/Secrets — don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank revjeff

Travelers are raving about these Lenox hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2006

I stayed at the Econolodge in Lenox, MA July 6 - July 9 2006 and was pleasantly surprised. The staff is friendly and goes out of the way to accomodate guests. The rooms were freshly cleaned and exactly what I had requested. The Deluxe Continental Breakfast was truly deluxe with far more options than even much more expensive hotels.The favorite of most guests seemed to be the make-it-yourself waffle iron. Outstanding waffles! The owners should be commended for their efforts in making what is an older hotel feel new and friendly.
At most lodging establishments you get what you pay for. At the Econolodge in Lenox you get far more.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Trenton, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2006

I honestly did not expect a great deal from this place but I was surprized. First the water pressure was low and my key failed 2 times. That aside I was very impressed with the friendly service and fast response I received when bringing these issues to the staff's attention. The professional approach started with the owner and front desk staff and went through the staff at all levels. Some larger chains could learn a few things from these folks. Namely that a clean well run motel at reasonable prices is a good deal.

White Plains, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2006

Having seen the bad reviews on this site, I was expecting the worst. However, it really wasn't and, in fact, was exacty what you expect from a motel. If you want to stay at a 5 star hotel, this is not the place for you. You get a clean room with the typical motel furnishings, beds of moderate comfort, decent but not luxurious towels. It also has a swimming pool, in room refrigerator, coffee pot with coffee, ironing board, hair dryer, shampoo, etc. The breakfast is spartan, but is more than many "continental" breakfasts at similar establishments, and includes hard boiled eggs and freshly made belgian waffels. It is the closest motel to the Lenox downtown and Tanglewood. I would certainly go back again if I were spending another weekend in the Berkshires.

• Stayed July 2006
Ely, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2005

The night before I was scheduled to check into this pit, I read the review about "sleeping in your car" and my stomach sank. But, my plans were made and so I decided that I'd check it out anyway.

After 7 hours of planes and driving, I finally got to this place. At first glance, the outward appearance when I got up close suggested a potential dive. I remained optimistic however and found my way to the front desk which is attached to an Indian restaurant I think is called the Taj Palace.

The front desk person was quite friendly and I got the key to the room. I walked into my assigned room and immediately observed the old, worn out, stained carpeting when the outside light shined in before me. Then I noticed the crumbling bits of white crud and paper along the edges of the walls that the vacuum missed. Then I headed to the bathroom and found hair on the toilet seat and some bits of dark crud floating in the bowl. I'm not that squeamish, but I hate to pay anything for someone else's crud and crappy housekeeping. Off to the front desk I went and asked for another room.

The second room they gave me had just been "cleaned". It had less bits of crud in this one accompianied by peeling wall paper but at least the bathroom appeared cleaner looking. Get this though - instead of replacing the toilet seat (about $10 to buy a new one and 5 minutes to install), they gave the tired old seat numerous coats of white paint that was blistering from the humidity. Their brochure says they have 119 newly remodeled rooms - this must be what they meant. The old, scratched up toilet barely flushed at all - make sure you hold the handle down for the whole cycle. The rust on the brass plated light fixtures and the completely broken, destroyed lampshade on the floor lamp were real giveaways to the remodeling process at Econolodge. Oh, and the chipped paint in the door latch and frame area made me wonder who kicked their way in and why? Ground in bits of food(?) in the chairs was gross too. Also no phone book and no TV remote in the room.

Being on a work getaway, I needed to plug in my laptop. I tipped the nightstand over to look behind it to find an outlet and that was my first mistake. Crumbling sheet rock, candy wrappers and 3/8" of dust were what I found. I didn't dare look under the beds. I decided to take a shower and that was my second and final mistake. When I pulled the curtain closed and saw the all mildew aggressively growing all over the inside folds of the tearing-at-the-holes shower curtain, I decided to check out of this dump first thing in the AM. I went to bed and although the sheets appeared clean, I wondered about bed bugs. No bed bugs that I know of but I checked out right away the next morning. I did not stop for the free continental bkfst they offered - didn't dare. I went a 1/4 mile down the road and saw a similar dump from another low-end chain. Checked out a room first , saw the discolored splotchy sheetrock in the bathroom and told them I'd get back to them. Ended up at the Super 8 in Lee. It cost more but it was spotlessly clean and well worth it. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed October 2005
5 Thank Joe B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Yankee Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Blantyre
Blantyre
#4 of 14 in Lenox

Been to Magnuson Hotel Lenox? Share your experiences!