“Reasonable Value”

Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
Andover, MA
“Reasonable Value”
Reviewed February 7, 2009

If you are looking for a reasonably priced and basic place to crash out, this will do.
Pluses
* Overall clean - Sheets, bathroom and carpet was clean. No smells.
* Good location - Near Tanglewood, Ski Bousquet
* Flavours Restaurant - Mayalasian food, owners are not affiliated with motel (see below for more details)
* Price - $70 night

Minuses
* The room was on the cold side all night and no extra blankets. (It was about 15 degrees outside)
* The continental breakfast was poor- a few pieces of bread and watery OJ
* Overall, it was a little worn looking.

The best part of this place is Flavours Restaurant. I heard it was good by reading the reviews and it really was. The food was a delicious combination of Southeast Asian themes. Very tasty and very unique. Nice curries. The food in this restaurant is as good as any big city like Boston or NYC. The owners, Chin and Sabrina, are very friendly people. Check it out. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
New York
Reviewed December 17, 2008

Let me first say that the Econo Lodge is exactly what its name implies. If you're looking for a 5 star resort or a spa this is not the place for you.But if you're looking for inexpensive accommodations with a staff that will do its very best to insure your stay exceeds expectations, you are in luck.

Our room had a small dining table with two chairs and a dorm style refrigerator. My family stayed in a pet friendly room with easy access to a great space to walk our 2 dogs. There is free wireless internet available in the lobby but it did not reach our room on the far side of the complex. However wireless access may be available in the inner courtyard rooms closer to the lobby. You may want to ask about that if internet access in your room is a necessity.

There are some comfortable chairs in the lobby and I was able to access the internet from my laptop while relaxing with coffee and individually made waffles from the free breakfast buffet. There is also a desktop PC with free internet access available to guests.

Everyone we met on the staff was friendly and made us feel at home. That included the staff of the onsite Flavours restaurant which features delicious Malaysian food cooked to order as well American fare. Flavours offered a variety of choices that could satisfy my wife's gluten and dairy free diet. For those unaware of the difficulty of dealing with such restrictions I can only say that it's highly unusual to find any selections on a menu that fit the bill, let alone several.

I'd highly recommend Econo Lodge as an inexpensive place to stay in the Berkshires.

• Liked — Staff and service were fantastic as was the onsite restaurant
  • Disliked — No complaints. However this is an economy hotel and therefore not fancy or romantic.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
NY
Reviewed August 21, 2008

I found the econolodge to provide excellent service, rooms, and included a FANTASTIC restaurant named Flavours. The people who wrote negative reviews, I'm not quite sure what they expected. I live in NYC, home of the most luxurious hotels in the world. Obviously the econolodge is a different experience from that, but no less enthralling, because it does what you pay for and you are in the wonderful Berkshires. Our room was clean, the maid service was always on time. The front desk was helpful...gave us a NO SMOKING room with WIFI.

The restaurant was incredible, and my brother and I landed up eating all our lunch and dinner meals there. The serve a variety of Malaysian and American food, but we mostly ate the delicious Malaysian food. The service was friendly, and it was the ribbon on the whole experience.

The bottom line is: I've been to more luxurious hotels yes, but the experience at the Econolodge was just perfect for me, and the restaurant was as good as highly rated Manhattan restaurant.

-David Solomon

• Liked — The built in restaurant
  • Disliked — Wasn't really an issue, but an elevator to second floor rather than staircase would have been preferable
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
New Hampshire
Reviewed August 17, 2008

I and two other women friends (all in our late 60s, early 70s) spent a weekend in the Berkshires of Massachusetts and stayed two very unsatisfactory nights at the Econo Lodge in Lenox, MA. Personally, I never stay in Econo Lodges any more, but one of my other friends booked all three of our rooms there because she got a retired teacher's rate and other accomodations in the Berkshires are VERY expensive during the summer because of Tanglewood, Jacob's Pillow, etc.
First, my room. It needed general renovation. Specific problems: the telephone wire broke the first time I tried to use it; front desk had to be called; the mini-fridge was not plugged in and I was not able to access any plug so that it could be turned on; front desk had to be called; the door key only worked intermittently; the toilet only flushed when I held down the flush lever until the entire flushing cycle was completed and than it "ran" until I jiggled the handle; the lamp switch was gone from one of the floor lamps and there was no way to turn on the lamp; the blanket on the bed had a couple of holes in it (like cigarette holes, even though room was labeled "non-smoking", and was very knubby, worn, and unappealing).
Front desk service. Motel was administered by ONE VERY young looking "boy" the whole time we were there, who claimed on several occasions that there was no manager on site (when we asked to speak to one). Plaque on wall indicated that this Econo Lodge was owned by "Satyam, Inc.", though the overall "umbrella owner" of Econo Lodges is Choice Hotels.
Continental Breakfast: total disaster. The first morning we and several other guests were locked out of the lobby until 20 min after 7AM, even though breakfast was advertised repeatedly as being available beginning at 7. When we were finally let in and went into the breakfast room, there was NO food displayed at all, only a lone coffee pot brewing coffee which was not even hot (I tried it!). The room looked generally unclean and dark. There was what appeared to be a broken waffle iron on one table with waffle batter (I kid you not) in a puddle on the table and also on the floor (from the night or morning before???) Frankly, we were disgusted, and left to get breadfast elsewhere, which we did the following morning as well.
When we demanded an adjustment to our bill for the absent "continental breakfast", the young boy (who now had quite an "attitude") said that his manager would only allow a deduction of $5 from each of our bills. A pitiful customer service response! We informed him that we would never return to the Lenox Econo Lodge, and that we would report our very unpleasant experience to the local Chamber of Commerce, the BBB, to Trip Advisor, and to all our many friends who travel frequently to the Berkshires.
We later heard from a front desk person at another Berkshires motel/hotel that she had heard other stories similar to ours about the Econo Lodge in Lenox.
SO...do not be drawn in by the lower prices in comparison to other accomodations -- it is definitely not worth it!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Front desk lack of customer service; lack of continental breakfast as advertised, shoddy room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank MaineCoastLover

Travelers are raving about these Lenox hotels

Wollaston, MA
Reviewed July 28, 2008

We booked this hotel stay in February so we could attend Tanglewood. We requested a NO SMOKING room. The room smelled so musty and smokey and had no sign on the door that said No Smoking I called the desk and they assured me that it was designated a no smoking room in the computer. The next morning my clothes, pillow from home and everything reaked of smoke. I spoke with a woman cleaning a room several doors down and asked if my room was a smoking room and she assured me that it was. The room she was cleaning smelled fine and I asked her if they were checking out and she said yes. I went to the desk and was told the cleaners didn't know anything about the rooms. (they only clean them .....every day!) I insisted on another room designated no smoking on the door. They said the person who could do that would be in and hour later and come back in the afternoon. When we returned we were told they had taken extra care to clean my original room and we could still stay there since they were all booked up. I told them that I saw several people check out that morning and I insisted on one of those rooms. I was given another room which still did not have a "Non Smoking Room" sign on it. It did smell fresher but more like an indoor pool than smoke. I called the desk and after about thirty rings was told that they only have one Smoking room in the whole hotel, it was empty since no one wanted it and that even though there was no sign it was a non smoking room. We had no choice and stayed for another two hundred dollars, breakfast included. The room had a broken window, a cracked toilet seat that pinched you each time you sat down and the toilet stopped flushing and had to be repaired.
Breakfast was no frills, the only plus was the waffle maker.
Don't say I didn't warn you!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank sorryistayed_8
Saitama, Japan
Reviewed June 11, 2008

Kudos Econo Lodge. We had just came back from a wonderful and relaxing weekend at the Berkshire. We stayed at the Econo Lodge, Lenox and it was wonderful. I have 4 children, 2 teenage boys and a teenage girl and a 8 year old.. Three rooms all together. The rooms are clean and spacious. The staff was very gracious and friendly. The owner of the motel talk to us and made sure that we all settled in and our rooms are okay. That itself make us feel good.
There were lawn chairs right in front of our rooms with the morning sun. We had a little sunbathing in the morning which was wonderful.. We went shopping at the Lee Outlet and it got too hot that we came back to the motel to cool off.
The pool looked so tempting that my children spend part of the day at the pool. It was clean and refreshing. They had a ball.
My husband and I relax by the poolside with our book. Cant help listening to my children.s laughter and splashing in the pool. Before we know it, it was dinner time and we had dinner at the motel restaurant, Flavours and it was surprising good. The food was very well prepared and fresh. My children played pool after dinner and we decide to stay for a little while at the lounge. We actually felt at home. Both the owners of the motel and restaurant sat and talk to us for awhile and we felt like old friends.
For families who likes to have fun and relax at he same time without spending a lot of money, this is the place to be in the Berkshires.
We are looking forward to our next visit.
Thanks to the warm hospitality, Econo Lodge!

• Liked — The hugh lawn andthe inground pool. Warm hospitality by the owners.
  • Disliked — Time passes too quickly.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank chage-kakuko
NY
Reviewed June 8, 2008

Great place to be and good value. Friendly staff. Clean and good size room. Convenient location to surrounding attractions.
Restaurant at premise. Good and fresh cook food. Serving late night snacks and nice lounge to relax.
We had a good and enjoyable time during our stay there. Will sure to be back again soon.
keep it up Econo Lodge!!!!

• Liked — Spacious rooms, good dining and location to most attractions.
  • Disliked — Weather is too cold for out door pool.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Sayang1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Yankee Inn
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Howard Johnson Express Inn - Lenox

Been to Magnuson Hotel Lenox? Share your experiences!