All reviews exercise classes spa services healthy lifestyle salad bar outdoor activities weight loss cutting edge aerial yoga healthy food no alcohol happy place dining room mother daughter skin care spa experience deep tissue massage spa area
Selected filters
Reviewed September 2, 2019

Canyon Ranch Lenox will impress you in every possible way. Not only is the resort itself incredibly beautiful with many relaxing areas to put you in complete peace of mind, but the staff is phenomenal and they clearly take enormous pride looking after guests from the heart. In particular, Mindi the General Manager and the entire staff at The Rebel Café went out of their way to make me feel welcome; nothing was ever too much for them. Highly recommended!!!! Worth every penny.

Date of stay: May 2019
1  Thank Private G
CanyonRanchLenox, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Lenox, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2019

How wonderful to know you found your stay “truly magical!” Our dedicated colleagues show their commitment to our guests on a daily basis and we are so appreciative of your kind words! You can make certain we will do all we can to ensure each stay with us is the best that it can be in every respect. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed August 27, 2019

Let me begin by saying this hotel/spa is extremely expensive.

Personally, I felt it was worth it. BOY, DO YOU GET PAMPERED!!

And the food is FABULOUS! The fish was always perfectly cooked, as was the tenderloin I had, and I lost 3 pounds during our week and I wasn't even trying!

The service staff was wonderful, truly friendly and warm. The classes were amazing, the health classes and the exercise classes.

And the spa services were divine!! I had a Hydrofacial, a deep tissue massage, a Tranquility Treatment and a Coconut Melt massage. Wow!!

And then there was the amazing Accupressure treatment, and the fascinating lectures on everything from hypnosis through nutrition.

My daughter and I also attended Tanglewood (we saw Yo Yo Ma solos and then an encore with James Taylor singing Sweet Baby James accompanied by Yo Yo Ma) and a Shakespeare & Company play, and were driven to both in a lovely van, and picked up promptly. Heaven!

I will definitely go back!

Date of stay: August 2019
1  Thank BelleGay
CanyonRanchLenox, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Lenox, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2019

I am pleased your recent visit to Canyon Ranch was such a positive experience and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Without question, our staff members are the primary reason for our continued success and it is gratifying to know you so enjoyed our classes, treatments and the “fabulous” food! In addition, the Berkshires’ certainly has a reputation for world-class culture and I’m glad you were able to avail of our complimentary transportation to partake in shows at neighboring Tanglewood and Shakespeare & Company! It really is a special treat! We do hope to welcome you to Lenox again soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2019

In short: I think this is a great place to visit if you're dealing with chronic pain/illness and want to do a lot of concentrated treatment for those issues, or if you want to do a hardcore lifestyle fitness or nutrition reset. If you want a luxe spa experience, or just a nice weekend in the Berkshires, go elsewhere: despite the high prices, the rooms/property are pretty crummy. It's only worth the money if you're using the excellent health services.

More details:

Property/rooms- When I saw our room I could not believe we were paying four figures a night for it. In decor, size, linens, and furnishings the rooms are exactly like what you'd get in an airport hotel charging $250/night. The bathtub was so miniature as to be essentially useless for bathing, which seemed especially ridiculous given that this is a spa resort. The photos on the website show the belle époque style mansion with views of its sweeping lawn, but there aren't any guest rooms there, just the dining rooms and the medical facility. The actual guest rooms are in wings built in the 80s. No views. The property itself felt more like a hospital to me than a hotel, with the wings and the enclosed courtyards and the super-wide halls and everything being white and gray and kind of sterile. The decor is totally random, ranging from photos of Japanese bamboo forests to Tuscan villas--it has no sense of place. It's not that the rooms are uncomfortable, but for four figures a night they should be much more than "OK".

Medical services: this is what you come to Canyon Ranch Lenox for! The physical therapists, physiologists, etc are really, really great. My partner was rehabbing from a serious knee injury and got a lot of benefit out of working with the practitioners here. I also got a lot of help working through both the mental and physical trauma from a car accident (they also offer psychological services). The practitioners are excellent about giving you tools/exercises you can do at home and also giving referrals to practitioners in your home city. Additionally, the medical department can liaise with masseuses and fitness instructors you work with so you see the max benefit and don't aggravate your injury. I think the medical/health services offering they have here is pretty unique within the US. It's definitely way beyond what I've seen at other health spas like Miraval.

I can also imagine it would be a great place to come to do serious weight loss as they have a lot of diagnostic tools like Dexa body composition scanners that aren't widely available, that they use to design individualized nutrition and fitness programs.

HOWEVER: if you want health services, BOOK IN ADVANCE. We booked our services about two weeks ahead and still ended up with 8AM/9AM appointments every day of our stay. They could also really stand to overhaul their booking process to be web-based. Their default is to try to do all the booking by phone with you, but they will do it by e-mail if you ask (definitely recommend this option).

Food: All the food is diet food and portions are restricted except for the salad bar. The food is good diet food, but it's still diet food so be aware that is what you'll be getting. The restaurant is much better than the cafe/juice bar, Culinary Rebel.

Spa/gym: the spa is top-notch. The aestheticians and masseuses are all REALLY good and super-knowledgeable. They offer a wide range of treatments, including styles of massage like Thai that can be harder to find accomplished practitioners of. The gym classes are good and quite varied, it's a nice opportunity to try out new forms of exercise.

I'm rating four stars for the unique health/medical offering and how high-caliber it is. If I were just rating it as a spa hotel, it would be three stars.

Room tip: Prepare yourself for disappointment
Date of stay: July 2019
1  Thank Clea17
CanyonRanchLenox, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Lenox, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2019

Thank you for your thoughtful review. While I was sorry to note your disappointment in the accommodations and facilities, your high praise for our Health & Healing offerings were appreciated. Since Canyon Ranch opened its doors in 1979, we have embraced an integrative approach to wellness in which professionals in various disciplines help our guests achieve their goals, create greater life balance and feel their very best. You are indeed correct that this is a truly unique experience and I am glad you were able to benefit so greatly from the expertise of our world-class practitioners. We do hope to welcome you again soon.

Yours in good health,

Reviewed August 14, 2019

We booked before we saw the online reviews, essentially for possible nostalgia and laughs. Once we read them we decided to go for two nights only, to see for ourselves how bad can this place be.

Granted our job is easier being that we never been here before. For the folks that have been coming here for years the disapointment is deep.

The facilities and decor are so outdated it is easy to forget you are in 2019. The place is understaffed and the staff that is there while having good intentions is not super proactive. Small things like bad wifi, broken ice machines, no bottled water, no good coffee, terrible lighting at the grill the dinner restaurant, and just overall complete throwback to the 80s would have been ok for like $600 a night.

But the real issue is not that the level of service is down over the last few years. (It is.) The main issue is that this place, stuck so deep in the 80s, can no longer compete with the new ultraluxe wellness-oriented hotels, retreats and resorts that are now available all over the world. The value proposition is simply not there. For a fraction of the cost of one night in CR Lenox you can get a private helicopter to take you to any high-end luxury hotel...throw in two massages, one facial, fancy dinner at a restaurant of your choice, a yoga class, (and great coffee!)and it will be better designed, better staffed and more enjoyable. Oh, and cheaper!!!

It may be true that this place and its founders the Mels were true pioneers. But the place they created had to continue to innovate under new ownership to stay relevant in today’s competitive wellness market.

Canyon Ranch Lenox should retire and make room for a transformation of the amazing property for today’s generation of health concious travelers.

Date of stay: August 2019
2  Thank Ofer C
CanyonRanchLenox, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Lenox, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2019

I appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay. Please know we are devoted to creating relaxing and inspiring environments that promote the highest enjoyment of life for all of our guests and I am very sorry your time here did not meet your expectations. I invite you to call me directly to discuss your visit further. It is our hope that we have another opportunity to welcome you and provide the ultimate wellness experience for which we are known.

Reviewed July 28, 2019

We went into the weekend with a lot of expectation of top notch service and amenities. After all, it's Canyon Ranch! In my opinion, there were "pockets of excellence" with a lot lacking in between. On the up side, our Guest Services person (Mel) was very friendly and accommodating. Additionally, the classes are taught by wonderful instructors (the aerial yoga and African Drumming should be a must!!) and the spa professionals were also very good. The food was delicious on the whole and the grounds are stunning (unfortunately, there was construction going on and that took away from the overall look). As for the down-side....this resort should be nothing less than "white glove" on all levels. This was not the case. The money that was paid in no way equally the service that was received. I can't go into all of the disappointing details, but we were a group of seven and all of us felt the lack of care. From a disgruntled restaurant person, to plastic fans blowing in the restaurant (because the air wasn't working!!), to a mediocre spa environment (the steam room wasn't working right on each of the three occasions that I used it.....additionally there was a towel left in there for at least 24 hours...did no one clean up the room???). Overall, the group felt that the staff did not go out of their way to make our experience special. We felt that we had to be very proactive to find something out or get something done. If you are in a position to spend the kind of money that Canyon Ranch requires, I recommend looking around at other places that offer similar things. The Berkshires are stunning and definitely worth the visit. As of this writing, I would not say the same about Canyon Ranch.

I will say that, when concerns were brought to Guest Services, the Operations Director did meet with us to hear us out. I appreciated that, very much. However, none of us should have had to spend the time doing this. I certainly hope that changes are made. As of this writing, there is absolutely no reason for me to want to go back.

Date of stay: July 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
4  Thank LRCan
CanyonRanchLenox, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Lenox, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I want to express my regrets for any shortcomings you experienced during your stay. We consistently strive to perfect our service in order to maintain the highest standards of hospitality and I am very sorry that was not the case, in some instances, during your time here. Our Hotel Operations Director, who you spoke with during your visit, will be in touch soon to follow up on your concerns. If there is anything with which I can assist, please don’t hesitate to reach out.