“Special and not for everybody.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lenox
Canyon Ranch in Lenox
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Lenox
New York, NY
“Special and not for everybody.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2006

Canyon Ranch is about learning to change your lifestyle and that lesson is expensive.

Seriously, if your interest is in luxurious accommodations, banquet-type dining, entertainment, pampering and lots of new places to visit, consider taking a cruse or going to a vacation resort!! You will probably enjoy it more and it will cost considerably less than a visit to Canyon Ranch.

Canyon Ranch is NOT a fat farm nor is it a spa designed to pamper its guests and it is definitely not a resort.

The bulk of the day is spent in a combination of exercise, stretch, aerobic, weight and other indoor classes as well as walking, hiking and other outdoor activities. Yoga, meditation and similar classes are also offered. There is a wide choice of classes plus a world class gym with weight and aerobic equipment.

All activities have a strong teaching component. Emphasis is not only on the activity being done, but also on how to do it and why you are doing it. Instructors are excellent.

Meals are calorie controlled, beautifully prepared and healthy but also designed to teach nutrition. There are lectures on health and medical subjects every day. All of these activities are included in the price as is a very comfortable room and good service.

For additional fees, Canyon Ranch offers excellent massages and a wide variety of medical and health consults. In fairness, some of the free lectures seem designed to promote a fee consultation and some of the consultations are not worth their cost and we would use them sparingly.

However, if you have a medical condition that needs to be controlled through some combination of diet and exercise but under medical supervision, Canyon Ranch might be helpful.. Call Health Services to see what they can provide.

In our view, it is really not only what you do at Canyon Ranch, it is what you take home with you for the rest of your life. Many of the guests including ourselves are repeat customers returning for a tune up and to learn something new. Many have become reasonably fit as a result of their Canyon Ranch experience.

There is a “learning curve” for new Canyon Ranch visitors. . . . many different classes and activities to try and a lot to assimilate. So, we recommend that, for a first visit, consider a one week package that includes your choice of several services. To reduce cost, check for off-season rates and try the groups that offer packages. Make sure that the service charge (there is no tipping) as well as Lenox taxes are included in your quoted rate.

Canyon Ranch is one of those experiences that can change your life

We highly recommend it.but only for those who absolutely understand in advance what they are buying into.

Stayed May 2006
17 Thank Maxx144

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2006

This was my second visit to Canyon Ranch and I enjoyed it more than the first time. I guess that my experience was different from the last poster. I never felt pressured to purchase any other services than what was in my package, and I appreciate their take on prevention, don't agree with eveything, so I make up my own mind.

This was a summer visit so the pool area was open & very pretty. The rooms are not dated, they are very nice, excellent products, comfy, CD, DVD, TV, all the amenities you need. The grounds are gorgeous, they offer numerous walks for all levels, they offer hikes, kayaking, canoeing, sometimes a combination of two and classes galore, again for all levels. Excellent lectures and food demos. Free internet service. Fruit and drinks available all day. Did not encounter one rude employee, everyone was super nice & very helpful.

I love the food here, I think it is wonderful. The spa area is very clean & nice but not glamorous, that is true. I also agree that the services could be a bit better, one of my messages was not good, but the 2nd one was one of the best that I have had, and I have been to other spas. I don't do many other services so I cannot comment on those. To me a good massage is the luck of the draw, have had good & bad in many other spas,too.

I book through a travel agent so the rates are good, but do concur that it is very expensive for what you get, but I was amazed at how many of the guests during my stay are return guests. I was told that the return rate for the prior week was 51%! I met people from all over, they must be doing something right.

SO, I guess is depends what you are looking for whether you think it is worth it or not, again it all boils down to expectations. For me, it is well worth it.

The only area still under renovation is the main check in area but this in no way affected our stay.

Looking forward to my 3rd visit to Canyon Ranch.

• Stayed June 2006
12 Thank NYCgirl
New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2006

I stayed at Canyon Ranch during February 2006 and encountered numerous issues. The facilities, services and rooms seemed very dated and they are trying hard to compete with the newer resorts and destination spas. Personally, for the money - one can stay at an exclusive resort in the Caribbean and probably have a much better and more relaxing time. The services at the "hotel" were way below par. The spa services one would find at any top notch resort - some of their "new" services were on the spa list of the last three resorts I stayed at - none were destination spas. The health services were way overpriced and some were misleading - I did some follow-up research when I returned home. As one person noted, they kept recommending more services - wanting me to spend more money. Will not return.

• Stayed February 2006
14 Thank lmc876
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2006

I've been to Canyon Ranch in Lenox twice with my mother and we've had a great time. Canyon Ranch is many things - I choose to see it as a time to take care of myself and my body. The food is spectacular and healthy! You can eat as much as you want and even ask for things you don't see (like butter and salt).

Oh, and one of my favorite things is that you can go to breakfast or lunch in your Canyon Ranch robe. They're not permitted at dinner but you'll see people wandering the halls in their robes - coming or going to spa treatments.

The exercise classes are excellent - offerings range from hiking, kayaking to yoga and tai chi. There are things you can pay extra for but I have always been content using my spa allowance for a massage or two and a facial or other more exotic treatments.

The rooms were nice and, honestly, I spent more time in classes, dining and relaxing on the grounds than I did in my room. They have a DVD library and you can borrow any movies you want and watch them in your room. They will even rent from a video store if they do not have what you want to watch.

My mother and I were able to engage in the activites/classes we wanted and then meet up for our meals and evening activities (like Canyon Ranch bingo!).

If you're interested in living well and taking care of yourself physically and spiritually - I cannot think of a better place to be.

• Stayed May 2003
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Needham, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2006

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights between Christmas and New Years of 2005. She had been 2 times before, but I wasn't sure if it would be as great for men. I must admit that they really have an impressive place. Yes it is expensive. But the place is beautiful, service is great, and the number of classes, spa, and health and healing services for the relatively small number of guests is really impressive. Awesome place to relax, get some exercise, and take care of yourself. We'll be back.

• Stayed December 2005
2 Thank Eric S
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2005

I just returned from a trip to Canyon Ranch in the Bershires, where I met up with a good friend. We were very excited about the trip, since we had heard so many good things about this place. We were disappointed by a number of facts:

1. Construction near the spa -- we could hear hammering during spa treatments
2. Cleanliness of spa area -- used razors in the shower and empty cups that people drank out of were near the jacuzzis
3. Overall service -- people did not seem to go out of their way to be helpful, and sometimes the service was simply not acceptable. For instance, we once called down to recieve shampoo/soap for our room so we could shower, and nothing came for nearly two hours
4. When we called guest services, maid services, front desk...more often than not, no one answered
5. Classes filled up very quickly and we often had to wait to be seated for meals -- even lunch and breakfast

Overall, we felt our experience was average, but we were hoping for something exceptional, which we did not get.

• Stayed September 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Glen Rock, NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2005

My husband and I planned to splurge for our 10-year wedding anniversary. We chose the raved-about Canyon Ranch for a 3-night stay for a chest-clutching $4,500. We justified the price after everything we had read about Canyon Ranch. Unfortunately, this resort has very little to justify their fees.

When we first arrived, our car was taken from us to be valet parked in the rear of the resort later. After asking the valet to close the windows 3 times (we kept passing the car as we walked around), we finally had to use our second set of keys to shut the windows ourselves after it began raining.

We have to say that the rooms were really beautiful. Newly re-modeled and luxurious, they are large and comfortable.

The spa was nothing special. Plain beige tile everywhere, adequate facilities, not-unfriendly staff who were often hard to find. We never felt we were staying at a hotel that was above the service of a friendly Holiday Inn.

The exterior architecture of the main building is beautiful, but the charm ends once you are inside. The original exterior is all that remained after a fire in the early 20th century. The interior looks like a Radisson. Teal rug with medallions in it, rustic common space furniture, brass fixtures, etc.
It was a real disappointment. (Notice the only pictures on brochures or websites are the exterior architecture!). I wouldn't want to show pictures of the spa either..

The food is quite awful. I was shocked at how terrible it was. Granted, we are spoiled NY-ers and this is a spa, but the combinations of flavors were embarrassing. We will always remember a poached piece of frozen fish that had some kind of spicy seasoning on it and came with a sugary brown gravy. I've truly never experienced such an inedible dish. Worse than cafeteria offerings. They offer to take everything back and bring you another dish. Maybe they are used to people not being able to eat anything?

All in all, this resort should be called a Health clinic. It really concentrates on classes to learn how to be healthy or how to change your life if you have a disease. It is NOT the place to stay for a luxurious stay. The price is so ridiculous, the only conclusion I can come to is that most of the people who go there are totally rich and don't ever look at prices. Perhaps the Canyon Ranch in Arizona is different - it's much larger and the original.

We left after one night and went to another spa/resort in NY. It was half the price and 10 times the service, quality and beauty.

• Stayed June 2004
25 Thank gothamfoodie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Blantyre
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Yankee Inn
Yankee Inn
#5 of 14 in Lenox

Been to Canyon Ranch in Lenox? Share your experiences!