“Very nice place”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lenox
Canyon Ranch in Lenox
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Lenox
New York, NY
“Very nice place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2008

I just got back from a wonderful 4 night stay at CR in Lenox. What a wonderful property. So many activities and classes, I am completely sore and exhausted from my trip (which is a good thing!!).
Checking in was seamless, had a room in the west wing ( I wouldn't chose the East wing facing the tennis courts due to the air conditioner noise...very loud!). Rooms were a bit crowded and decorated in a strange monkey theme, but it was clean and newly redone.

Classes were great, went on a 6 mile hike on day 2, it was amazingly beautiful (but hot!!!). I twisted my ankle and the guide was so sweet to make sure I took it easy and promptly gave me ice when we returned. He also had ice brought to my room later which was sweet.

Food was great, I am a salt freak so I did miss salt a little, but staff didn't mind bringing you the shaker if you needed it (which I did for a couple of things). I enjoyed knowing exactly the calorie and fat content of everything I took in. It was eye-opening to say the least. (ps. the choclate chip cookies are to DIE FOR!!!).

Spa was amazing. I had 3 great Deep Tissue massages with Anastasia, the Massage Therapist. She was the best therapist I ever had. She was very knowledgeable and gave me great tips to take home with me. The only downfall was that I wanted to book another service on my last night (I only booked three) and she was completely booked already....so I got a salt scrub ( I think it was apricot???). It was ok. nothing special. If I go back I will be requesting Anastasia for my massages.

All in all my visit was great. I had a wonderful time. I really thought this place was going to be "out of my league" but it was really down to earth and nice. Canyon Ranch is really about getting in touch with yourself instead of in your face service and over the top accomodations. Don't go expecting Four Seasons or Pennisula type service/accomodations. It's not there. It's all about you and your inner being.

• Liked — the berkshires are so beautiful!!!!
  • Disliked — decoration of rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
4 Thank EVE1971

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
sarajane4
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2008

I recently took a tour at Canyon Ranch in Lenox, I am a Massage student and we took a trip there to see what it was like to work there, we also got a tour of the facility as well. The place is very beautiful and posh, as it should be for $1,000.00 a night and there is also a 3 day min. Our gude told us that occasionally they get celebs there too. Before i went there I thought it was a spa where you would get pampered all day, but it's not. They have all sorts of people who go there from the super fit, to people who are looking to make a lifestyle change that aren't as fit. It seems like a great place to go if thats what you want out of your trip. They have 5 gyms, and indoor and outdoor pool, indoor and outtdoor ennis courts, a state of the art yoga studio, and they offer seasonal outdoor activities as well as other stuff. If you do get a massage there it'll be good. They hire people with at least 2 years of expiernce in the working world, and the massage therapist has to give three massages for an interview and pass them in order to get hire. So who ever you have there gonna be good, so i would highly reccomend that . It seemed really nice in there and if you can afford it go for it.

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank sarajane4
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2007

A little piece of Heaven! I go there annually for a week of pampering and relaxation. It is a great place to go with friends or even alone. People are quite social there, so you never feel lonely even if traveling alone. The food is copious and excellent, the services and classes are divine. Rooms are clean and comfortable, but not necessarily luxurious. However, we never spend much time in the room. Highly recommended.

Stayed July 2007
5 Thank kellycares
Montevideo, Uruguay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

My wife and I had our first Canyon Ranch visit over the Labor Day Weekend and we just loved it! The Spa's promotional book states that the owners modeled Canyon Ranch on the university experience. In our opinion, visitors will get the most out of their stay if they combine sports activities and personal beauty sessions with lectures or individual sessions with trainers, therapists, nutritionists, and the like. Canyon Ranch has a great variety of these. Non-traditional anything is normally not my cup of tea, but I forced myself into a session with a "Chinese medicine practionist" and to my surprise, I loved it. I even tried (& really enjoyed) acupuncture, an activity I never thougth would interest me.
For those who want a first rate spa experience sans lectures and consultations, Canyon Ranch has it. The grounds are Berkshire beautiful. The gyms and pools are great. We liked our room and we found the staff to be helpful and pleasant.

One caveat: the food. Canyon Ranch cuisine is really good, particularly when you compare it to the health food one generally finds out there in supermarkets and restaurants. There are no salt shakers, bread, alcohol, or diet coke at Canyon Ranch. The meals are low on calories, though some choices are not so low if eaten in American-size proportions. Don't expect to burn off pounds after eating the "healthy quesadilla," or if you've asked the staff for a few extra Canyon Ranch chocolate chip cookies before bedtime, let alone ordering desert after each lunch or dinner.

In short, it's a great experience and we think those who enjoy Canyon Ranch the most are guests who take advantage of intellect-building activities, which are here in abundance.

Stayed September 2007
7 Thank namremaz
michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2007

I am 77 years old and my 2 daughters are 40 and 36. The 3 of us had an incredibly fun, nurturing, and challenging experience. The girls and I were busy all day with exercises of all kinds; programs for body and mind, and food that couldn't have been better. We had cooking classes, together and they were kind enough to join me in my age limit aerobic and stretch classes. The 3 of us had Tarot readings and we were astonished at how close the reader came to practically "reading" our minds and seeing our home situations.
Our trip back to the Canyon Ranch is as quick as we can make it!

• Liked — The faculty, the food, the spa
  • Disliked — the trip to and from the airport
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank aboomer12
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2007

As a regular spa-goer, I was incredibly disappointed to experience Canyon Ranch in Lennox. After all the hype, I found the facility to be a real let-down. First, it looks like a rehab hospital, the hallways and rooms resemble a Days Inn, and the interior common areas
are drab, ugly and uncomfortable. But the real let-down was the service and attitude of the people who work there. With the exception
of the spa service providers themselves (the facialists, massage therapists, manicurists, etc.) the Canyon Ranch team was passive-aggressive and rude throughout my four day stay. When i was shown to a room with twin beds, though I had specifically booked and confirmed
different accommodations, it took three phone calls, more than two hours to get the room I'd been promised -- and i was also accused of lying about the room reservations. A program scheduler gave me a male
masseusse even though I'd specifically requested a woman -- and then told me she couldn't accommodate me, but that she'd be happy to cancel my appointment. The scheduling office also wouldn't help me at
7:52 a.m. -- pointing to the clock on the wall behind them and saying, "Sorry, can't help you... it's not 8 yet." The list goes on and on, but I have to say I couldn't wait to leave. At $1,000 per day, the service and treatment of guests should be impeccable. Maybe it's a matter of that old New England toughness...but it's definitely
NOT relaxing to be treated poorly. No massage can make up for it!

Stayed June 2007
33 Thank spagirl800
Pittsford, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2007

Just came back from a three night, four day stay. Overall the experience was great but I certainly would expect that for the price. The check in process was smooth. We arrived early to maximize our stay and our bags were stored until we were able to get into our room. We were able to get our assigned locker and change into our work out clothes in the spa locker room. The locker room is kept remarkably clean and the staff are exceptional. Any thing you might need is instantly provided.

I tried to do as much as possible - walks/hikes, classes, seminars, and services. My favorites were a private pilates lesson with Scott and a makeup consulatation with Doreen (she didn't try to push any products on me and tried to offer helpful ideas). Service in the dining room was generally excellent.

My favorite classes were the water classes run by Joe. He was so funny! It made for a fantastic work out that just flew by. All the women were talking about how much fun those classes were.

The rooms are very nice. I shared a suite with two other people. This I wouldn't recommend. What they do is put a pull out bed in the living room. While the living room is very large and there is space for it, it just doesn't seem worth the $400 savings. I'd much rather spend $135 more a night to have a private room. Considering the overall cost, it seems silly to put yourself through the bad sleep for $400. The bed was short (and so am I) and not very comfortable.

The bathrooms were beautiful and have everything you needed. We had a small fridge that came stocked with water bottles that were replaced twice a day. The plush bathrobes are nice, too. Living room and bedroom had flat screen TVs, DVD players, and CD players.

My travelling partners loved getting the trail bars as snacks for during the day. Just ask at the dining room and they'll get them for you (or cookies, too). But, there are bowls of fruit for you all over that is always fresh.

I enjoyed my trip much more this time. The first time I felt I had to pack so much in that it was overwhelming and exhausting.

The Berkshires is a beautiful place and I recommend this as an especially fun girls trip. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful.

• Liked — Relaxing atmosphere while being pampered.
  • Disliked — High price - not really sure it's worth it.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
13 Thank bkbmom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Blantyre
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Yankee Inn
Yankee Inn
#5 of 14 in Lenox

Been to Canyon Ranch in Lenox? Share your experiences!