“A Lot of Money for Average”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lenox
Canyon Ranch in Lenox
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Going to an all inclusive very expensive spa, one has come to expect a personal touch- a somewhat personalized experience.
This is just a hotel that offers exercise classes and has a medical arm to it. Even the people that go there are not very friendly. This is definitely NOT the place to go as a single traveler.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank eventarranger
CanyonRanchLenox, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Lenox, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

It was upsetting to hear your remarks regarding your recent trip to Canyon Ranch in Lenox. Please understand your experience was undoubtedly inconsistent with experience we hope to provide. Many of our guests are solo travelers and we strive to offer numerous activities to make their stay remarkable. Should you like to give us another try, please be assured we will do our best to make your stay exceptional.

There are newer reviews for Canyon Ranch in Lenox

Reviewed July 11, 2012

This was our 1st time at Canyon Ranch and we only stayed for 3 days, so not really enough time to settle in and get the most out of the place. But even in that short time, we felt better and healthier when we left. The choice of classes and activities is great and it's easy to try different things throughout the day. We found the staff and other guests to be really nice so we never felt out of place or uncomfortable in any class or when trying something new.

We've never stayed at a dedicated spa before so we I don't have any direct comparisons, but I would think that Canyon Ranch has to be one of the best places anywhere in terms of getting you active and feeling healthy. The general feel of the place is more functional than luxurious, so that is something to consider.
The spa complex was great, but there are a few things that we would've liked. The mens and womens spa areas are separate which is fine, but would be nice to also have a unisex steam and sauna as well so that couples can hang do those together if they want. Also, the outdoor pool is a long walk from the locker rooms. The outdoor pool was fine, but could've been a lot nicer in terms of setting etc.
We were disappointed with a few things in our room. We had to switch rooms because we like to open the windows at night, but there was a really loud generator outside our room. (Maybe try to avoid the even number rooms between 210-222 for this reason). Also, the AC in the rooms was really loud as well, which is a poor design oversight for a spa where guests are looking for a peaceful atmosphere in their rooms. Probably the loudest AC unit of any hotel we've ever stayed in. It's a weird thing to complain about, but it affected our enjoyment of the room. Besides that, the rooms were good. Not luxurious or great for the price, but satisfactory.

But by the end of our stay, these issues didn't bother us as much though. We really enjoyed our stay and would happily return for an active holiday at some point.

Room Tip: Avoid even number rooms between 210-222 if you like opening your windows because of the loud generat...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank marcs44
CanyonRanchLenox, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Lenox, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your visit to
 Canyon Ranch in Lenox. It definitely sounds like you made the most of
your getaway and I am so glad you left feeling healthier overall. It is
 our hope that guests return home inspired to live healthier and more
 meaningful lives day-to-day. Regarding the outdoor generator, I am sorry to hear the noise did not allow you to open your windows at night, but
 am glad our Guest Services staff was able to relocate you to a room that
suited your needs. Please know I have shared your comments with our
 Engineering team for consideration for future improvements.
We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed July 5, 2012

As a SPA destination, it was OK, but there are much better places, for less money. The promote themselves as a wellness destination - comes off as pretentious. The outdoor pool is OK, but not in a beautiful location. The gym is massive. Mohonk Mountain House or even a Marriott Spa is better

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tom_B_NJ
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

I am sorry to note your time with us in Lenox was just “ok.” It is true at our Lenox & Tucson locations we pride ourselves on offering our guests a depth of holistic, integrative care far beyond that at any other spa, and opportunities to establish and practice healthy habits for life. Perhaps one of our SpaClubs in Las Vegas, or Miami Beach Hotel & Spa would be more in line with the experience you are looking for and I encourage you to explore those destinations. We thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

We had a great time at canyon ranch!! From the minute we arrived we were greeted with open arms from the staff. The grounds were beautiful. The service was impeccable. The rooms were clean but a bit data. However you spend most of your time in the amazing spa and fitness facility because the classes and services are amazing! The spa was great and the food was healthy but yummy. Their chocolate chip cookies are to die for. The all inclusive package takes the stress of money or having to pay for things away. When you are done eating you do not have to wait for the check you can just leave. We will defiantly go back as soon as we can!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Spalover515
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Your accolades for your visit to Canyon Ranch in Lenox were appreciated. I am glad you spent most of your time in the spa and fitness area. It is certainly our hope that our guests avail of the plethora of activities offered and with more than 200 services and 40 daily classes there is sure to be something to suit everyone’s interest! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Lovely grounds, varied dining experiences(dining room, cafe, outdoor BBQ), great classes and exercise facilities, pool, tennis courts, and a real chance to unwind in a beautiful setting. The staff was always pleasant and helpful, never rushing you. Liked the fact that the exercise classes had not only an instructor but also an assistant who would walk around to make sure you were doing it correctly. Some of the class instructors were really good. I went during brain week and thought the content of some classes could have been better. Loved the menus which instead of prices (all inclusive) had nutritional value so you could focus on calories or on protein, fiber, fat, etc. Some dishes were better than others but the waiters had no problem with removing the offending dish and bringing you another, often I had double entrees, desserts, and readily available cookies. For those travelling solo they had communal tables in case you wanted to meet folks. Rooms were pleasant and made for sharing, not five-star but nice and clean. They handled all your transportation needs dropping you at the airport or taking you to town and picking you up. There were some guests who seemed to find problems everywhere but they reminded me of "friends" who never relax and always complain instead of getting into the flow...one reason I went by myself. I did feel rejubinated when I got back home and even my husband noted I seemed more calm and relaxed. I have been to other spas but as a first timer to Canyon Ranch was pleasantly surprised, by the time I left I thought it was worth every penny.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and they gave me one at the end of the 2nd floor hallway in the east wing...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank New_Yorker_47
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent visit to Canyon Ranch in Lenox. It is always rewarding to hear from such a thoroughly satisfied first time guest. Your appreciation for the fitness, dining and effort made to create a welcoming environment for “solo travelers” was particularly gratifying; as I truly feel those are some of the many details that truly distinguish Canyon Ranch from other destination spas. We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

My daughter and I went to Canyon Ranch, Lenox for four nights of spa time before her wedding next month. We have both been to quite a few spas before and were truly looking forward to a great, relaxing, revitalizing few days. Instead, we ended up leaving after 1 1/2 days because we found the experience to be so unpleasant.
The entire place seemed more corporate/institutional than spa like. The rooms and grounds were tired and felt like a 3 star hotel. Even the soaps and shampoos were of low quality .
We love fresh healthy spa-like food. The food here was awful tasting and unappealing to the eye. It is really not too difficult to take fresh healthy ingredients and create simple and delicious healthy food. The foods all tasted as if they were created from inferior ingredients and prepared ahead of time. The flavors were muddled and created with dried stale tasting herbs. Nothing had a fresh or vibrant taste. It was more like hospital or airplane food than what one would expect to find at a spa. The only snacks around were institutional fruits, oranges, delicious apples, bananas and pears. Not a carrot stick or a spa cookie or smoothie to be had. WE asked four people where we could get a snack and finally someone took us to a hidden mini fridge behind an unmanned counter where they offered us string cheese and finally a trail bar (which was the only delicious thing we ate while there).
The spa services were truly sub-par and the spa itself was not quiet, tranquil, pretty or nice smelling.
The bright spot were the few exercise classes we attended which were lots of fun and a good workout. Women's stretch, morning run, morning walk, aqua fit and cardio circuit were all great.
I am really perplexed by all of the positive reviews on Tripadvisor. My only guess is that people have not been to other spas and therefore did not have a basis for comparison. Maybe people truly believe that low-calorie food has to be punitive to the tastebuds. I don't know, but all I can suggest is that if you are a sophisticated traveler/spa goer, you will not like the general vibe or the food or the spa services or the accommodations at Canyon Ranch, Lenox.
I will close by saying that the staff was cooperative about letting us out of our commitment to stay for four nights.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank NYPetunia
Management response:Responded June 20, 2012

I was very sorry to note your remarks regarding your recent visit. While Canyon Ranch in Lenox is a highly respected and admired destination resort, it is not for everyone and I regret your expectations were not met. Please know your perspective is extremely important to us and serves as a reminder that we need to consistently strive to perfect our service in order to maintain the highest standards of hospitality.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

I had always felt a trip like this would do me good but that it was out of my reach financially. I took advantage of a promotion they were running, and although still an extravagance, I have to say I am so glad I went. From the moment I stepped off the Amtrak train at Albany, I was engulfed by a feeling of restfulness. A wonderful driver was there waiting to take me on the 45 minute drive to Canyon Ranch and I just knew the instant he said hello to me that I was going to have a great time. I went alone, which is what I needed to do for myself, but since my return, everyone I know insists they are joining me the next time - even my husband. We'll see if that happens...I loved being alone and focusing only on my health and well-being for a change! Arrival and check-in were very smooth; my room was not ready when I got there (way before 3 pm as I wanted to take advantage of as much as possible), so I went to Easter brunch which was delicious. In general I found all the food to be very yummy and I was never hungry throughout my four days there! My room was all the way at the end of the West wing, which meant I had a good seven or so minute walk to the spa, the dining hall, the locker rooms, etc. I liked the room location because it was very quiet. I didn't mind, though, since I was so energized the whole time I was there, and if you plan your day well, you rarely have to go back to your room at all during the day. The room itself was lovely, clean, comfortable. I wouldn't say it was five-star luxurious, considering the amount you are paying, but it is very lovely and cozy. There are some cute touches in the room, like a CD alarm clock and CD's with restful music on them for you to listen to; there's also filtered water, a small fridge, a safe, a robe, and great reading lights over the bed, all things I appreciated.
Shortly after arriving I met with a "program advisor." For me this was not so useful as I had already pretty much decided everything I wanted to do while I was there and had spoken to an advisor before I arrived. I had no interest in having medical treatments or examinations. However, the advisor was very friendly and supportive and I was impressed that two days later when I ran in to her in the hallway, she remembered me.
A great thing about CR in Lenox is that in bad weather, you never have to go outside. Everything is cleverly connected via a lovely heated and attractive walkway. On the other hand, the grounds are very pretty and it was nice, when the weather was good, to sit outside reading a book or just take a stroll.
On two days, I was dropped off and picked up for shopping, once in the town of Lenox (where there was one particular shop, a yarn store, that I wanted to see), and the second day I went to the local outlets. If I return to CR I will skip the outlets next time. They are underwhelming and I would have rather spent the time in another terrific class or at the gym. But I note this here because I was so impressed by the staff's determination to assist me and support me in my desire to shop! They went out of their way to make sure I could do both of these things and provided me with reliable transportation, which I really appreciated.
Now to the stuff I actually came for...I wanted to try new things, do some moving, and refocus myself on health and wellness. I loved the fitness and exercise classes that I took. In one class, myself and one other woman were the only participants and it was like having a personal trainer. I also took other classes, such as a circuit weights class that was so much fun, and a stretch class that was excellent. On two days, I had the entire swimming pool to myself for about two hours each day; that was an unbelievable treat. I found the pool to be underutilized and I am not sure why, it is a beautiful pool. The steam rooms and whirlpool were also great. I love the nonjudgmental atmosphere of the place, the supportive environment, and the incredible diversity of women in all kinds of shape who were there for the same reasons I was there. And it was not just women; there were quite a few couples, and yes, some men were there solo as well. This is a great place to go in any configuration, because they make it very "homey" for you.
I did a lot of treatments while I was there as I decided this was going to be a self-indulgent few days for me, something I don't often do. The deep tissue massage was excellent, as were the facial and the sea salt scrub. The one treatment I would not do again is the 'Lavender Relax.' This is just my personal preference; it was a lovely treatment but now that I've done it, I don't think I'd feel the need to try it again. In general I would do fewer treatments next time (and thus, save a bunch of money), and focus more on the classes and opportunities for movement. This is not a commentary about the treatments, only on my personal preferences. By the way, the official policy is "no tipping" and its impressive that despite this policy, CR has managed to attract and retain some excellent service providers, but I know from speaking to several of them that the tipping policy is a bone of contention and I wonder how much better the services would be if tipping were encouraged. (They are supposed to refuse tips. I'd rather pay less for my overall stay and then tip for service myself).
My one disappointment with the experience were the two lectures I attended. On my first day there I attended a lecture on wellness and intention. On the second day I attended one on weight management. Unfortunately, both lectures were given by the same person and they were virtually identical. I wish she had told those of us at the first one that she would be facilitating again the second day and that the sessions were going to be similar; there were other things I could have gone to instead. That being said, when she finally got to substantive matters in both lectures, the classes were almost over. 45 minutes is not really enough time if you want to have a substantive conversation. I would say that out of 45 minutes in each lecture, 30 minutes were basics - very basics, especially if you've done any work on nutrition or weight management at all. They were not too dissimilar from a Weight Watchers gathering. However, these were minor disappointments when put in the context of my entire experience, which was truly a wonderful one overall.
If you are looking for pure relaxation and a chance to be good to yourself, sleep well, be active and recharge yourself, this is the place to be. I've already told my husband I'll be saving up to go again. While three nights did not change my life, it did help me reprioritize myself and I did come home feeling very recharged, something I cannot say about every vacation I have. I wish it were not so expensive - but this time, at least, it was worth the money to have four days that were all about me! Unfortunately it has taken me too many weeks more than I hoped to sit down and write this review, but my experience there was so strong, I am still feeling the impact two months later. All I can say is, GO!

Room Tip: Rooms on the "west" wing are further from the spa, but honestly, who cares? You're the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank JYGfromNYC
CanyonRanchLenox, Managing Director at Canyon Ranch in Lenox, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

It was a pleasure to read of your enjoyable stay at Canyon Ranch in Lenox; it’s always a treat to hear from our guests, particularly those so effusive in their praise! Our staff members take great pride in ensuring that Canyon Ranch provides the world-class experience you expect, and a story such as yours confirms for us that we are accomplishing our goal of helping our guests live healthier, more meaningful lives through informed choices. In addition, your input regarding lectures was appreciated and I shared your observations with our Programming team for review and attention. We hope to welcome you back again soon, as you continue your journey to enhanced wellness!

Reggie Cooper

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Blantyre
Courtyard Marriott Lenox Berkshires
LakeHouse Inn
LakeHouse Inn
#1 of 9 in Lee

Been to Canyon Ranch in Lenox? Share your experiences!