“fabulous time”

Ranked #2 of 19 Lenox B&B and Inns
Newton, Massachusetts
“fabulous time”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The Berkshires are always wonderful, but the place one stays for me is an essential part of the whole experience. The new owners of the Gateways Inn have turned it into a warm and delightful social place as well as a beautiful place to stay. The live music in the evening along with late night available food are an added and fabulous treat. The food is delicious and the staff is great. The owners were so helpful in suggesting places to go and helping to arrange for tickets to local events. They also gave me a fabulous upgrade. So, if you want a total Berkshire experience, I suggest you stay here.
Dale, Boston

Room Tip: Look on line and make your selection in advance. All rooms are good.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dale H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Marlborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This weekend was my first experience at the Gateways, but it won't be my last! I was in the area for business, but the staff and owners of the Gateways made it feel like a vacation. We were greeted by the owners, and even though we had arrived several hours early, we were welcomed and shown to our room right away. The linens were crisp and clean. The bathroom was spotless. The room was completely soundproof, even with live music and a fun-loving crowd out front. We had two breakfasts and one dinner in their dining room. The food was excellent and the service was beyond what one might expect at a B&B. The young lady working at the bar is a wonderful ambassador for the Berkshires! I recommend the Gateways and will certainly return there.

Room Tip: Room 12 has a wonderful jetted tub, and is totally sound-proof
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jim G
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This was my second trip back to Gateways and let me be blunt about why I love this place. The Berkshires can sometimes drift into extreme levels of snobbery. It's a playground for the prosperous, after all, and Tanglewood and Shakespeare tends to attract a sizable snobby subculture.

What I love about Gateways is that you get the luxury atmosphere and accommodations with a down-to-earth attitude -- and a lot of that tone comes from the top down. Innkeepers Eiran and Michelle gave my wife and I great hiking tips and graciously let us use their freezer for some special dietary foods we needed.

I also appreciate their willingness to "Do It Your Way" when dealing with fussy eaters -- like me.

As an independent filmmaker, I love the Gateway's commitment to the local arts scene. They recently lent their front lawn to an installation artist who makes GIANT chairs. I made a point of taking a special day trip with my kids for a photo-op with the chair.

Looking forward to what future surprises are in store for my wife and I next time we stay over in Lenox. Sometimes it is the little things. She was particularly charmed by the subtle smiley face design of the toothbrush holders. I am posting a picture since she insists there is a cult of toothbrush holder fans who MUST experience these. :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Darren G
H
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I travel to Lenox, MA every summer on business, and have stayed at a number of establishments in the area. This summer, I decided to try the Gateways Inn, as it is right in lovely downtown Lenox. I had noticed it before, but somehow wasn't sure it offered accommodations. The building is a middle-sized rather traditional older mansion, elegant but rather understated, and right on one section of the main street of town. I decided to try the smallest, least expensive room (Puck) and found it to be very small but interestingly-shaped and elegant. An excellent economical choice. The innkeepers Michele and Eiran were both wonderfully friendly, down-to-earth and helpful, without overdoing it. The Inn has a wonderfully spacious dark wood bar room and an adjacent elegant and comfortable lounge, where there is nightly entertainment (no cover) and some amount of food available for purchase. The handsome dining room is back beyond the bar, and its decoration is of a more recent style. I decided to have dinner there one evening and I was very glad I did, because it was an absolutely wonderful meal. And, the breakfasts (included) are the best I have ever had at such an accommodation. They are buffet-style with one "entree", but a very pleasing selection of a good variety of other things. All the staff people were wonderful and helpful. I decided to stay there again a few weeks later, this time choosing a larger and more expensive room, which was excellent. Everything was wonderful the second time, notably including the meal and breakfasts. I appreciated all the effort that is being made to make this Inn a most enjoyable place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank GuestTrav
Sharon, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We have stayed at the Gateways many times in the past; however, this was the first time we stayed under the new ownership and were absolutely delighted. Michele and Eiran are friendly, gracious hosts and made us feel very welcome. The inn is charming and comfortable with some lovely appointments throughout it. Our room was immaculate and inviting, simply a pleasure to stay in it. The grounds are well maintained and the new piano lounge is a huge plus. We relaxed in it after Tanglewood and feasted on delicious dessert food (more substantial casual fare is offered, also). For breakfast, there was a buffet with varied choices, all fresh and beautifully presented. It is located very conveniently in the center of town. Staying there surely enhanced our getaway. We will be returning!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank booklady50
Tilghman, Maryland
Reviewed August 21, 2012

In the last year, this property changed hands, and the new ownership, while certainly having well-meaning intentions, does not accomplish the goal of luxury treatment for the money.

The previous owner's wife was a chef and the food was always exceptional. The new owner's wife is also a chef, but the selections are limited by what is referred to as a Kosher-style menu. As a result, if you are looking for a vacation spot with tons of good food for breakfast that includes lots of traditional favorites such as ham, bacon or sausage, unless you keep Kosher, you may be disappointed. One day's "sweet" breakfast (usually a casserole of some sort) is followed by a "savory" one the next - I'm not sure where that philosophy fits, but that is your only option. The kitchen is willing to poach or scramble some eggs for you as a consolation prize. For dinner, the menu is small, high priced, seafood is limited to fish, so don't be looking or shrimp, New England lobster, crab or scallops....for the first time in about seven or eight stays, we did not eat dinner at the inn.

If that was the only problem, I would say, okay, let's give them another year to get used to their new place, maybe they'll change, but there is unfortunately more. There are lots of maintenance issues with the rooms - handles coming off bureaus, no hot water one morning (blamed on the previous owners who haven't been there in many moons), erratic turn-down service in the evenings with no refreshment of towels, faucet handles coming off, no kleenex box refilled, one little cake of soap that wasn't replaced for four days - not the kinds of things you expect when you are paying over $400 a night with tax for a weekend night....after registering my observations with the innkeeper, our linens got larger and newer for the last couple of days. I know they were trying, but the place is understaffed, particularly when it comes to housekeeping. If you want to read the newspapers in the lounge after breakfast, be prepared to encounter whatever was left behind the night before as you try to find a clean place to sit.,

The positives are that the new owners have turned their main dining room into a salon which offers different entertainment (post Tanglewood) nightly. The talent is quite uneven, but at least there is a place to go and have a drink after the concert - which is GOOD! I hope the lounge format pays off for them, because I know they would not be able to fill a dining room of that size. The innkeeper was also very accommodating in terms of letting my amateur pianist wife and our clarinetist friend use the lounge to play for an hour or two on a number of the days we were there. That was very nice, so I KNOW the intentions are good, but the execution is not there.

There is one woman who works at the in who has been there for a number of years - she was very helpful and most sympathetic, trying hard to get us to reserve for next year (we normally stay a full week), but alas, after seven or eight very good years, we have moved on.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank TilghmanBill
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Came to lenox on a whim, with my girlfriend, midweek in July and stumbled upon this gem of a place. As soon as you walk in you feel as if you belong. The owner was not there, but I was greeted by a young woman who immediatly made us feel welcome. She did not try and impose the more costly room, though we chose it. Decorated in blue, it is roomy and comfy with a great shower/jacuzzi tub. In back of the house, it is quiet. We had dinner at the restuarant - best lamb chops I have ever had and spent nice time at the bar with Paula and listened to jazz in the lounge. We spoke to the owner about maybe getting married there next year, he was most knowledgeable and helpful giving us lots of tips and even refering us to other venues to compare.

Room Tip: Stayed at the Rosalind room. Perfect in every way.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Garden Gables Inn
Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort
Cornell Inn Lenox
Cornell Inn Lenox
#1 of 19 in Lenox

Been to Gateways Inn? Share your experiences!