Review Highlights

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
funinthesun5009
MA

1,033 results
All reviews james taylor boston pops boston symphony ozawa hall lawn seats classical music yo yo ma summer home film night picnic dinner bring your own concert venue great concert arrive early west side story wonderful venue sound system
Reviewed 1 week ago

We went to Tanglewood this year for the July 4th celebration with James Taylor. Previously been there to hear the BSO. The JT day was packed. Very long lines, but worth it. Personally, I prefer going to the more regular, less crowded BSO days. You can sit in the shed, with great views of the venue or out on the lawn. On the lawn, you can't see the entertainment very well directly. However, they recently added large screens up on the shed where you can see what's going on quite well. We go mostly for the audio vs. the visual experience. Personally, I prefer the lawn where you can setup a blanket, chairs, table and bring a picnic lunch or dinner and yes, BYOB. Some people go all out with their setups. Ample parking in numerous parking lots, but you may have to hike 1/4 to 1/2 mile to the lawn/shed. I agree with others that there is no much shade on the lawn (shed is fully covered and shaded). Traffic can get pretty busy, so leave plenty of time. A truly wonderful place.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Tanglewood is always delightful. The grounds are exquisite, and the quality of music and entertainment is fabulous. It's simply a must when visiting the Berkshires.

Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

I love Tanglewood. It’s a fabulous place. I write this review with sadness and conflict of emotion. I’ve been to Tanglewood many times over my lifetime but my July visit was the first time I was with an elderly person who needed assistance. My experience was disappointing and saddening, especially in light of how Tanglewood has held a special place in my heart for my entire life.

My experience was that there was no help. I was with my elderly mother. I had trouble getting her from the car to her seat and back again. I got NO help at any time and was referred to help in different directions several times... only making help “more out of the way”. I was yelled at like a dog by the police officer at one of the gates as my 90 year old mother sat in oppressive heat with no shade.

I wrote an email, I got a response but the process was iterative and continued to put the burden on me of repeating my story and returning calls, making me feel that I had more work and follow-up on my part rather than the venue. I requested the officer’s badge number and name as his behavior of not offering ANY help was deplorable. Since my initial complaint was made the same night and there’s only so many police officers at the gate I identified I felt that the venue could have done their research.

The police officer could have radioed for help, he could have shown concern. He was clearly more concerned about showing me he was in charge rather than helping a frail elderly patron.

Obviously Tanglewood has no real concern as my email was not given the attention it deserved and one review and one complaint will not stop people from visiting.

However, you should think twice about a place that puts no value on anyone needing assistance ... it makes me sad that one of my favorite venues is forever tarnished by such an experience.

Sadly one can’t count on the venue nor an officer with a badge to help....I imagine that officer’s behavior extends far beyond his duties as a traffic officer at Tanglewood and that should be addressed with the issuer of that uniform.

So sad on so many levels. Tanglewood has a lot of older attendees, it seems to me this should be a place that goes out of their way to make older people feel safe especially when one specifically reaches out seeking help.

1  Thank Mrr07
Reviewed September 17, 2018

We went on June 24th for the Audra McDonnell concert which was great...a wonderful voice and entertainer. The stage is fronted by the "shed" for covered seating, and the lawn behind it is where one can bring their own chairs, blankets and picnics. Picnics are also available for purchase. The Lenox area has a variety of lodgings and small restaurants...did not see any chains (nice). We stayed for the weekend and enjoyed the countryside as well as the nearby Norman Rockwell Museum.

Reviewed September 17, 2018

Will be an annual event in the future; would be easy to spend multiple days. The beauty supplements the music.

Reviewed September 8, 2018

We've seen the BSO here, the Black Eagle Jazz Band, and most recently Steve Martin and Martin Short. Especially love getting box seats in the shed, as they rock, and sit on dirt and even had legroom for my 6'8" brother-in-law. The free parking is made effortless. We advance-ordered a lunch from the meals-to-go restaurant (inside the main gate, turn right) and made a picnic of it. What a delight. The grounds are stunning.

1  Thank Jefsaw1
Reviewed September 6, 2018 via mobile

We visit Tanglewood several times each summer and have seen a variety of concerts. We’re never disappointed! We typically buy lawn seats and bring a picnic. We can’t always see the performers well, but there are large screens that project what’s going on on the stage, and we go to hear the music! We have purchased the box meals; they are pricey but tasty with a variety of local offerings. It’s great fun people watching, and the concerts are always wonderful! It typically cools off at night, so bring a sweater for an evening concert (even if it’s hot during the day). If you attend an afternoon concert, bring some type of coverage from the sun, as there are few trees.

1  Thank Louvrelover
Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

I did not what to expect. It is an ok concert area, however I would suggest they keep it open the rest of the year for other type of music. That would be amazing!

Reviewed September 4, 2018 via mobile

First time to go to Tanglewood but won’t be my last. It was such an experience. The grounds were stunning and the performance was also amazing. We had shed seats but I think I would have enjoyed the lawn better. You can’t go wrong either way though. A must see for anyone!

Reviewed September 3, 2018

I visited Tanglewood for the first time during a recent trip to the Berkshires, so I was not sure what to expect. I was interested in seeing Steven Martin and Martin Short perform at the end of the season, and based on other reviews I read of Tanglewood, I thought it would be better to get seats in the "Shed", which are covered from the elements. I looked into buying the tickets a month before the event, and all that was left was a large section of seating that indicated "partially obstructed". When I checked other reviews of my seats (Section 15, Row F), the seats were deemed good, so I booked them (they were not cheap!). Please be advised that "partially obstructed" truly means "fully obstructed," as I sat a few rows behind a supporting column and could not see ANYTHING -- the performers OR the screen. The seats also are either folding chairs or wooden, and were very uncomfortable (you can rent a pillow for $2.00). Many of the people on the lawn had a better view of the performance, because a large screen was mounted outside the Shed, and I would have been better off there if I knew. There were two large screens inside that they could have pulled down, but apparently, that only is for nighttime performances. I suppose if you are listening to music, the visuals are not as important, but I wish I was forewarned. Steven Martin and Martin Short put on a great show, but I missed a lot of it, because I could not see projections on the screen. I would have enjoyed the show much more if I had been at a different venue.