“Bad Easter Dinner!!!!”

Barbers Crossing Road HSE
Ranked #2 of 14 Restaurants in Leicester
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I would not recommend this restaurant. Our meal was bland -Virginia baked ham as advertised was misrepresented. We were served a very inexpensive boneless watery ham. It was also advertised to have a cherry/pineapple sauce with cherries and pineapples. Sauce had no flavor and 1cherry or 1 pineapple piece. We paid 12.99 -not cheap for ham. We were no offered any dinner rolls. It was a very big disappointment will not return.Tried to reach management to resolve our issues and no one had the courtesy to contact us or reply to our e-mails. They apparently do not care about their reputation. Do not recommend!!!

Reviewed April 12, 2012

I met my family for a supposed nice Easter dinner out. Well there was really nothing nice about it. Family members that ordered the ham dinner were very disappointed. I was even disappointed for them and glad at the last minute I changed my meal choice until I had a piece of the turkey on my plate. First those with the ham dinner....for $12.99 was probably worth $5.00. The ham looked cheap and thinly sliced. The sides wouldn't even fill a small child' appetite. Can't forget to mention that there were no dinner rolls or a small garden salad. Put it this way....I think cafateria food looked better than my family members that ordered the ham. I myself ordered the turkey dinner. Again priced around $12.99. This was not a special but a regular item. It looked nice but was very bland. There was no choice of vegetables....just some steamed unseasoned puny carrots. The turkey was complete dry & no flavor. The two teaspoons full of stuffing that hid under the turkey was your run of the mill stove top stuffing. Oh & don't forget the cranberry sauce that came in a small condiment container.....including the lid. I would have to say that about half of the table seemed very disappointed & left there hungry. At the end of dinner was when we found out there was complimentary popcorn that we never received. I would have to say that this was the first and last time I will ever....and I mean EVER step foot in this establishment. It is completely overpriced and you could get a better meal at your local hospital or school cafeteria. Lastly be forwarned that if you do choose to go and have a bad experience.....one....don't blame me because I warned you & will warn everyone I run into, two....don't bother contacting the owners because you will never hear from them.

2  Thank shara519
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I went to Barbers Crossing for Easter dinner with my family. Unfortunately the 5 members of the family who ordered the Virginia Baked Ham Special were very disapointed. The other family members had chosen different meals and seemed to be happy with them. The ham I believe was not really Virginia baked ham but a cheap substitute. The ham had glaze on it that had no flavor to speak of. It was suppose to come with cherries and pineapples. My meal had 1 small pineapple chunk with no cherries. The other four ham dinners had 1 cherry or 1 pineapple on them also. The meal also came with a very small and I do mean small dish of mashed potatoes. It also came with a small dish of carrots which also really had no taste. This meal was 12.95, not exactly cheap. We did not even receive any rolls with the holiday meal. I was very disapointed and actually left there hungry. Would not recommend this dish. Didn't even receive the free popcorn.

1  Thank Cheri81
Reviewed December 18, 2011

My wife and I took my brother out for his 65th birthday. We went to Barbers Crossing in Leicester about noon on Dec. 18 for dinner. My brother wanted lobster and since he has Cerebral Palsy, we wanted lobster already prepared and heard that Barbers had a Lobster Pie. My wife and my brother each ordered "Lobster Pie" for 13.99 and I ordered Baked stuffed Haddock. The menu said ,choice of potato and vegetable. When we ordered it, the waitress glossed over the vegetable choice. When we were served, the "Lobster Pie" was a small metal plate with cracker crumbs and small pieces of lobster mixed in. My wife took one look at it and decided to pick through it to see what was in it. Small pieces of limp rubbery tasteless lobster meat. My haddock dinner was comparable to what you'd get at Crackerbarrel where everything is prepackaged. They reluctantly did not charge anything for my wife's meal. My brother, who didn't see what was going on , left some pieces of lobster in his plate, and i asked him why he didn't eat them. He said they didn't have much taste. Use your own judgement of course, but I'll never visit them again!

1  Thank dbeaucSpencer
Reviewed December 17, 2011

This was a fabulous, local seafood restaurant that changed hands some years ago to Barbers.
The location is convenient. Fair amount of parking.
The prices are reasonable. The service is average.
Sort of a pub style place. Plenty of lighting.

Most the time I have the lobster is some form or another. Have also had the fried clams and seafood platter. Never had a complaint about the fried items.
Portions are certainly adequate.

The food can be from excellent to "occasionally" just ok.
More often than not the meals are good and a safe bet, but a rare - phew! - when did this lobster die? has turned me off.

I would still go back, don't get me wrong, but if you're expecting fancy and fabulous, it's not here.