“A wonderful surprise!”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 11, 2014

We stayed at the Black Swan Inn for a week and had heard about this curious Indian restaurant inside the hotel.

The staff were solicitous, funny. and warm. The food was excellent and plentiful. It is typical American-style Indian cuisine where chicken tikka masala is the best seller. But it is quite flavorful without being too spicy. Everything is a little too mild for my tastes.

The ambience is a little cold but if you can get a seat by the lake, its perfect. One recommendation, make a reservation during the high summer season, Otherwise you risk sitting by the door.

There are newer reviews for Bombay Bar & Grill

Reviewed August 9, 2014

Not too far from Tanglewood in the Berkshires has great Indian food and excellent service. I requested not too spicy and it was just right. Many Indian restaurants over spice their food even when I request mild to not spicy. The service was quick so if you have tickets for a show you will get there in plenty of time. The restaurant is small and cozy with a great view of Laurel pond off route 20. They have a new chef, I was told, and he is doing a great job. We liked this place before and love it now.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

I have been going to Bombay Bar and Grill ever since it opened in the Berkshires more than 10 years ago. My father was a big fan of the restaurant and took visiting friends and family there frequently. Service really varied in attentiveness but we were consistent fans of the unusually broad menu and the sampling of regional food offered. Recently we booked Bombay Bar and Grill as caterers for an important family event. We confirmed the date, timing and venue over 7 times in writing, in person and by phone. We paid for the food and servers in advance and on the day of the occasion the food was almost an hour late. It caused a huge inconvenience for guests coming from a long distance and we never received a call nor apology from the restaurant. I followed up with a letter and still have not heard back. My conclusion is that this is a hit or miss restaurant without a real commitment to quality and professionalism. When it opened it was one of the only Indian restaurants in the Berkshires but it now has competition from Aroma in Great Barrington and Spice Root in Williamstown. Bombay Bar and Grill will always do well due to its location near the tourists who come to Tanglewood, but in the end the managers of the restaurant do not show a commitment to professionalism or their customers.

2  Thank vks2012
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

We found this place through AroundMe app. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming. The staff is attentive and friendly and the food is superb! We enjoyed the Sunday buffet. The food was warm and plentiful. A great array of dishes. Both entrees and side dishes. I liked the Chicken tikki masala, and the chicken malabar was especially delicious!! In fact the 2 others in my party raved about it too. It's a buffet dish but definitely one that should be on the regular menu. I highly recommend this place. It's a hidden gem.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

we have always like this restaurant and always make it a point to have meals there when we are in the area. Service has always been excellent, entrees are huge and extremely tasty. In the summer, al fresco dining by the lake is an excellent option. They serve authentic Karnataka and Andhra cuisine. Some entrees are served on banana leaves. It is difficult to find a similar dining experience elsewhere. I would skip their idlis and dosas and go for their main entrees and breads. We have had better idlis, dosas and sambhar elsewhere. They use a lot of curry leaves in their cooking but be forewarned that some of their entrees are rich with heavy cream, cashew paste and butter so order less and judiciously. The desserts are passable.