“A comfortable Bershires Inn”
Review of Applegate Inn

Applegate Inn
Ranked #4 of 8 Lee B&B and Inns
Westwood,MA
“A comfortable Bershires Inn”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stopped for a one night stop on our way to a weekend in the Finger Lakes in New York.
We check ourselves in with an envelope at the door with the key and well versed directions that gave us what the entire inn offered as well as restaurant options.
And because it was only for one night, for that reason we chose the coziest of the rooms available. The room was comfortable, but I would have enjoyed it more if the walls and the ceiling were not all papered in a dark busy design. Because the room was on the small size, it closed in the room.
Busy as the design was, the room was spotless and there were plenty of towels. The inn guest areas are large and airy, with plenty to do. There is a reading/music room and a porch area with a large screen television. We didn’t get to use the outdoor gardens and sitting areas because the weather was cool and damp.
The grounds are well landscaped and the Inn is away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Lee.
Breakfast was an eclectic mix of juice, coffee, stewed fruit with yogurt, cold asparagus, salmon cakes with dill sauce, banana bread, hard boiled eggs and a cheese coated vegetable frittata. A little of something for everyone.
We enjoyed our stay at the Applegate Inn in the Berkshires. It is peace and beautiful, but close enough to all the events that go on in the Massachusetts Berkshires.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LillianO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
North Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed September 30, 2013

one word sums Applegate Inn , EXCEPTIONAL! This was our first time to stay at a B&B, it was beyond our expectations.
The room was cozy and clean. The owners, Len & Gloria and the entire staff were friendly,helpful and knowledgable about the area. The candlelight breakfast's were so delicious. The wine & cheese at 5pm was also a great touch. We stayed in late September and still swam in there outdoor heated pool, we even went night swimming and looked at the stars! The grounds and buildings are also beautiful. We plan on returning soon and highly recommend this beautiful Inn.

Room Tip: The suites are large but still cozy and very clean.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa D
South Wales UK
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

The Applegate inn is beautiful building and grounds are well cared for , interior is dated ok if you like that sort of thong, we stayed in room4 a light airy room, I will recommended they remove the rugs in the room they are very slippery the taps in the bath shower are loose , the roller blind doesn't open after its been closed we had to leave it closed. The fitted sheet had a whole in it , the sumptuous breakfast we were looking forward to was not great , we were given stewed fruit and a choice of boxed cereal , banana bread , samon paste , quiche which we don't eat at breakfast no toast or anything else offered. we used the pool after I cleaned it out it was full of bugs , cheese and wine offered , we were the only ones at the hotel so yes it was very quite to quite . Over priced we feel . We have stayed in 8 hotels or inns so far on this road trip this is the worst for value . They also ask you leave a tip of 20$ a day for the person who cleans the room and Len iron your T-shirt if you greeting guest Len was very helpful when we had a problem with the car nice couple though

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Alyson65
Toronto
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We returned to Applegate Inn on our way to Martha's Vineyard. Pam welcomed us at the door. She also helped me with the WIFI. Our room was lovely. After getting settled, we returned to the livingroom for wine and cheese. We met fellow guests who return year after year with their friends to enjoy Tanglewood and the other events happening during August. We vowed that we would make that a priority for another trip. We had a delicious dinner at Chez Nous in Lee. Breakfast was delicious with something for everyone's taste. Gloria and Len mingled with the guests at breakfast. We also purchased a beautiful necklace from the gift shop.

We highly recommend this lovely Inn for a visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
West palm Beach
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Beyond our expectations. There were little things we never expected, e.g., wine and cheese in the afternoon, a carafe of brandy in the room. Attention to details. Staff was exceptionally friendly and knowledgable about the area. Len's restaurant suggestions were perfect.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Marlborough NH
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from The Applegate for the fifth year in a row and it was wonderful, as usual. Gloria and Len, the innkeepers, and Pam, the manager, welcome everyone enthusiastically and we are immediately at home. The Inn is located minutes from all the Berkshire cultural venues. We have stayed in several of the rooms over the time we've been coming, and they are all comfortable, beautifully appointed with many amenities. Many choices for breakfast; the coffee cakes are amazing! And since Len and Gloria know the area so well, we happily rely on their recommendations for restaurants and also performances. We've already booked The Applegate for 2014!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
NYC/NJ
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Applegate Inn is a lovely property on a beautiful, well-groomed piece of land, surrounded by apple trees! I stayed in the Carriage House (#9) and had a tree right outside of my window. How nice! The hotel/B&B (it has 10 rooms and an apartment) is very accessible via NYC (it took me just 2.5 hours by car), Connecticut and Boston, and is in a great central location for visiting various Berkshire events (I was there to see a friend dance at Jacob's Pillow).

Pros:

**The main house looks like it comes out of a movie set depicting the ideal B&B in New England. It's that perfect! The entire first floor consists of public rooms (well furnished, if a touch over-furnished), as well as the breakfast room, a patio, a sun-room and more. There's a heated pool outside as well. Everything is comfortable, but well-maintained.

** The carriage house is just across the driveway and is a little more private. I loved having my own entrance and a small patio (just me and my apple tree!).

** Pat, the manager, is delightful! She showed me the property and was both friendly and warm. She genuinely seemed to like the fact that I was there. Now that's hospitality!

** There is a guest refrigerator in the main house which is stocked with cold drinks, and some snacks for guest to take (no charge).
In fact the property -- including my room -- was stocked with free things (baked goods fresh fruit, chocolates, water, and more).

** I emailed my requirements (essentially feather-free pillows/duvet) in advance and the correct bedding was already on my bed. This is often an issue for me -- not having the correct bedding despite emailing, and often calling, in advance -- and shows that the Applegate Inn wants to get it right from the get-go.

** The suite (#9)

My suite (one large room) had a king sized bed, and a small living room set up, too. Most of the furnishings are antique (which I like) and are in fine shape. The room was a tiny bit too "busy" for me (too many pictures, the drapes were grander than the room needed) but I still enjoyed it a lot. There was even a small kitchen set up (no stove, but there's microwave, a coffee-maker and supplies, a sink and a mini-fridge) in the suite. Also included near the kitchen was a cute bistro-type kitchen table with two chairs for sitting with a cup of tea (or you could sit on your sofa!). Very nice touches! I was especially impressed because the innkeepers even stocked the small kitchen with plates, bowls, nice glasses and silverware. The bathroom was very large -- lots of counter space, good lighting -- and had a large whirlpool, as well as a big shower. There were plenty of towels and soaps, too. There was also a good sized gas fireplace which I'm sure is delightful in season (it worked now but I didn't put it on). The suite also had plenty of closet space, as well as enough drawers, and other places to put luggage and supplies. Besides the drapes, there were also blinds which really did block out the light (if desired).

** I didn't eat breakfast the next day (I'm not a big breakfast eater even in a B&B) but from what I could see they had a ton of choices. They serve between 8-10am daily.

** There was plenty of (free) parking.

** The entire inn has free and fast WiFi.

** Did I mention the apple tree?:) How I loved them!

Cons:

** For such a nice room I was more than a bit dismayed that there was a very large, stain on my quite plush, cream colored carpet.
It was off-putting, despite the fact that the room was immaculately cleaned. The Berkshires is very busy during the summer, so it may be that the innkeepers didn't have a half a day to truly steam clean the carpet between guests. That said, I found the stain distracting
and unpleasant. The rest of the carpet seemed to be in much better shape.

** Do note that if you stay in the carriage house you will hear the people in the cottage -- a two bedroom apartment above the main floor suites -- above your room. Whomever was staying in it when I was there was walking around a lot (lots of footsteps up until around 11:30 pm) and was also up and doing things at around 5:30 am (I am an early riser myself so this didn't bother me). This is an old building so this type of noise is to be expected, but if you get a noisy upstairs neighbor (especially if there are kids running around) it could be a problem. There are 8 other rooms in the main house, too. Despite the slight upstairs noise, I would definitely stay in the carriage house again.

** Although the television (cleverly hidden behind a painting which open up to display the tv!) got a lot of channels, it was on the small side and is well past it's prime (not flat screen etc).. It's a minor quibble in a place that has everything else.

** If you plan to use hotel shampoo and conditioner when traveling, do note that the inn does not provide two separate products -- it was a combo of shampoo and conditioner in one bottle (I bring my own anyway).

Last thoughts and tips:

** The town of Lee has a pretty main street, but be aware that the traffic is a nightmare. You are better off driving near the town (less than a mile from Applegate Inn), parking and walking the main street. I also noticed police pulling people over for traffic violations. The traffic patterns are odd -- you can sit at an intersection for 10 minutes because there is no traffic light, and only one street has a stop sign (the car who had the right of way -- because of the traffic pattern -- rarely stopped to let anyone else go). This is true in most town in the Berkshires.

** There is a Price Chopper (supermarket) in town in case you want to add to your in room refrigerator.

** The inn is right off of the Mass Pike, but tucked away in a very quiet street and area. The location is truly ideal.

** The inn is less than a mile from the Lee Premium Outlets. I tend to shop in small stores, but for people who like outlet shopping that place is a mecca! It also stays open late (9pm).

** Do take a quick trip (less than 15 minutes) to go to the delightful, historical and beautiful town of Great Barrington, Ma. They have great restaurants, and stores. Be sure to stop off at the excellent, indie bookstore, The Book Loft -- it's an a strip mall about a mile before you get to the main street of Great Barrington -- but has a superb collection of books!

The Bottom Line:

There are dozens of hotels and B&B's in the Berkshires (I've stayed in a few over the years) to choose from but Applegate Inn, with its beautiful grounds and stunning buildings, has everything anyone could want while visiting the Berkshires. Although pricey (but totally in line with high end hotels/inns in the area), I recommend it!

Please excuse typos!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank DeborahPub
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lee
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
#1 of 8 in Lee
Inn at Stockbridge
Inn at Stockbridge
#2 of 8 in Stockbridge

Been to Applegate Inn? Share your experiences!