“Girsl weekend away”
Review of Applegate Inn

Applegate Inn
Ranked #4 of 8 Lee B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have to say that this was a great place to stay, and my friends and I have stayed in few good spots but the staff at the Applegate are so warm and welcoming its like coming to visit old friends.(and this was the first time we stayed here) we stayed in the "apartment" in the carriage house, it was extremely clean and well equiped, it was comfortable and peaceful. of course the weather was great so we got spend a lot of time on the back deck. which I have to say , did not have furniture on it , but very quickly Len brought up a table and 6 six chairs for us. the food was fabulous and wine and cheese at 5p was like meeting friends for a cocktail. just a great expierence !!!!! Pam the assistant inn keeper was so knowledgable and accomadating, Anne Marie did the cooking and she was so sweet and a great cook!!!! everyone had smiles on thier faces!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Myself and family (2 young daughters) spent one night here in April, a nice quiet time to come to this part of Massachusetts. Applegate is superb and also excellent value for the money. we had a large suite - the "cottage", with two bedrooms, kitchen etc. everything was clean and comfy. The innkeepers are excellent hosts and the breakfast was top notch. The baked apple started, in particular, was to die for - and once we expressed our approval of it, the innkeeper printed out the recipe for us - nice touch!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I have been to Select Registry inns in Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts and Connecticut -- including one in Maine that has been called "the inn to compare all other inns to -- and we both agree that Applegate is our new favorite. Why? Because it was a perfect balance of all the great qualities we look for in an inn stay. The innkeepers, rooms (common and guest rooms), breakfasts, service/hospitality, and "extra goodies" were all found here, and were all memorable.

Innkeepers Len and Gloria made us feel like we were in their own home (theirs is, in fact, attached to the inn) and like they were genuinely thrilled to have us there. They mingled with the inn guests on both Friday and Saturday nights -- during their complimentary wine and cheese hour -- and it was such a unique and rewarding experience. Pam, the inn manager, welcomed us the moment we got there and could not have been nicer, offering to take our bags and giving us a quick tour before leaving us to our own devices. Anne Marie, one of the breakfast chefs, was also very sweet and seemed very interested in knowing how we were enjoying ourselves. All of the staff we encountered were genuinely warm and friendly. We felt that they were respectful of those who wanted to be "on their own" but also more than welcoming to those who wanted to mingle.

The breakfasts were delicious and highly satisfying. My husband gravitates more towards savory breakfasts, and I like more sweet options -- we were both pleased with each morning's offerings as there was a little of each ends of the spectrum available. Also, this was the first time we stayed at an inn that offered a buffet for breakfast, which made us a little nervous. Luckily, we had nothing to be nervous about. They invited us to sit first (at beautifully set table settings) and we were served scrumptious homemade, out-of-the-oven breads (lemon, cranbery, etc.) as well as an artfully prepared fruit course. After that, whenever we wanted to do so, we were able to select from a variety of very well prepared and presented food on their buffet table. The hot things were hot, the cold things were cold -- everything was fresh and tasty and you could have whatever and however much you wanted. A selection of teas, juices and hot coffee was always at the ready.

Throughout our stay there were always homemade cookies and brownies available for guests, as well as a pantry with a Keurig, hot chocolate, pop corn bags, and a full fridge and freezer for guest use (filled with complimentary sodas and water).

The common rooms were beautifully kept and maintained. The rooms were always toasty with the fireplaces lit. There were lots of games and things to keep you entertained if a day (or night) in was part of the plan.

Our room, Room 7, was perfect and just as depicted online. It was, in a word, lovely. The soaking tub was my favorite part. I can't wait to go back to experience other rooms! The bed was extremely comfortable and the sheets were soft. Everything was spotless. There was nothing we needed that was not available.

It's going to be hard to beat the Applegate. I'm so glad I happened upon it and will not stay anywhere else in the Berkshires. Would love to see the property and surrounding area in the warmer months!

Side note: After noticing a mezuzah on the front door (a first for us in our inn-going experiences), the innkeepers told me that around the holidays they display their personal collection of menorahs around the house, as well as the more traditional Christmas decor for guests commonly found at inns during the holiday season. I'd love to go back in December to see this. If you look carefully, you can find a few pieces of Judaica throughout the house. It was such a pleasant surprise.

Room Tip: The soaking tub in Room 7 was worth the price alone.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My friends and I just spent a fabulous weekend at the Applegate Inn. This was our 3rd annual Girls' Weekend there, and we booked for next year as we were checking out. The Cottage is the perfect place for the 3 of us to escape for the weekend, as it provides us with the privacy to feel like we are in our own homes. We like to prepare some of our own meals, so the full kitchen is really a huge benefit for us. Everyone at Applegate is very nice, friendly and helpful. One of my friends is gluten-free, and she is extremely well taken care of at breakfast! We really love our "home away from home", and look forward to continuing our tradition at the Applegate for many years to come.

Room Tip: The Cottage is perfect for our group of 3, providing us each with our own sleeping space, and plenty...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Len & Gloria are in a class by themselves, generous and gracious hosts and fun to hang out with. The B&B is beautiful and the attention to many details stands above any we've experienced. We had a few mishaps (including losing our car keys) and Len drove us to our restaurant, and car rental facility - far beyond the call of duty.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Just came home from a fantastic weekend at Applegate Inn. This inn is everything I have come to expect from a Select Registry B&B. the house was beautiful, the rooms comfortable, the breakfasts delicious. We felt like we were staying at someone's home without feeling like they wanted to be our new friends. (I like my privacy). Len and Gloria were perfectly hospitable without being in our business. There were always snacks and coffee and tea available,and wine and cheese everyday at 5:00. The fireplaces were welcoming and cozy. I just loved it, and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I just returned from Ladies weekend with my Mom and her friend. We rented the "cottage" which was perfect. The place is simply beautiful without being stuffy whatsoever. It is apparent that the Innkeepers love what they do. They are attentive and friendly. The special touches really are special. This Inn is in my top five list. There are plenty of things to do and we wish we could have stayed another night. This was my third time staying here and I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lee
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Devonfield Inn
Devonfield Inn
#1 of 8 in Lee
Federal House Inn

Been to Applegate Inn? Share your experiences!