“Up the mountain and back again”

October Mountain State Forest
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We were there as day hikers. It took us a bit over an hour to do the Loop trail plus the Ledge trail. We are 50-somethings and I was wearing sandals. This is a nice hike, but not all that easy. Steep in spots and some areas of tricky footholds. The forest is dense and nice. The trail is well blazed.
I recommend wearing sneakers or hiking shoes and using bug spray. We were there after a big thunderstorm and the trail was still a little muddy and slippery.
The campsite looks pretty nice. The sites are not on top of one another. We saw all kinds of people there (retiree-aged, young adults, adults with elementary school aged children.) The bathroom was moderately clean. There were numerous water spigots for washing. Some reviewers were complaining about noisy vehicles. We were there about an hour and a half and didn't hear any.

5  Thank Rona F

Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is great for boating, hiking/walking trails, bird watching, photography. I didn't try the campsite. I was passing through while hiking the Appalachian Trail. I would like to spend a couple of days here. Wish I lived closer. There is much to look at.

1  Thank SpiritsOpinion
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Good birding, scenery, hiking, fiddleheads. Always search there for early spring wildflowers, as I love to photograph them.

2  Thank Lucy S
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This is by far the worst place i have ever been in the US. The attractions look nothing like the pictures/pamphlets. The people are the rudest i have ever encountered. I almost was in fist fight on three seperate occasions. Awful local accomidations i.e. Hotels. And to top it off i saw two seperate groups of "kids" smoking pot in public. Never evet go here and if you do plan on punching someone in the face...trust me they'll make it easy for you.

1  Thank russhii
Reviewed September 27, 2012

One of the two best state parks I like in the area that has full facilities It's location may be a little tricky to get to. Off of Walker Street in Lenox toward the town of Lenoxdale.

2  Thank mrr107i