“Best sandwiches”

Cuisines: Soups
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

This is our second visit here and it's a great little sandwich shop. Lots of bottled beverages to choose from and lunch is always fresh and tasty. Skip the Lee plaza food and head off exit 2 for a quick hop, skip & jump to a fresher meal option.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

This cute cafe is in a restored Victorian house on the Main Street in Lee. You can't miss it, it's painted bright pink and green. Has off street parking and outdoor seating available on the porch. We ordered 2 sandwiches for lunch, both nice and fresh and packed with yummy deli meats. They also make their own Italian Ice, but we were too full to order any on this trip.

1  Thank ConnieH440
Reviewed July 29, 2014

My mom and I were shopping at the Lee Outlets and wanted someplace different for lunch. An Internet search revealed that the Housatonic Cafe was right down the street from the outlets, right on the main road, so we decided to check it out. Overall it was an extremely pleasant experience. The employee (I think he might have been the owner?) was friendly and personable, all ingredients seemed fresh, and we were able to eat outside on the porch because it was a beautiful day. Although I didn't really see much of the inside dining area, it looked clean and comfortable.

I ordered the Tyringham Gobble sandwich and New England clam chowder, both of which were excellent. The cold cuts were Boar's Head and seemed freshly sliced, and the veggies and dressings on the sandwich were fresh and flavorful. The New England clam chowder was delicious - the perfect consistency for me, not too thick, not too thin. I was pleasantly surprised by the clam chowder - normally I wouldn't expect something that good outside of Boston, Cape Cod, Maine, etc.

My mom ordered the Rawson Brooke Chèvre Cheese Salad, only to be told they were out of it, which I found strange for that hour on a weekday. They offered a Caesar salad instead, which she accepted and seemed happy with. She also ordered hot tea to go with her meal and they brought it to the table in a large Pyrex measuring cup instead of a teapot, which seemed strange, but no biggie. When we went to pay, we were asked to use cash instead of a credit card even though our bill far exceeded the posted credit card minimum. We did not have the appropriate amount of cash on us, so he took the credit card, but I always find this a little off-putting in restaurants.

Overall very good experience with the somewhat odd glitches of the Pyrex measuring cup and the credit card issue. I would go back. Recommend if you are in the area.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Colorful, clean and welcoming ambiance combines self serve ordering with the most delicious deli sandwiches I've experienced in a LONG time! Had the Tyringham Gobbler -- the ingredients were super fresh and literally melted in your mouth. We each started with a bowl of their NE clam chowder and it was literally out of this world! If you're looking for a great place to grab a delectable sandwich or wrap on your way to Tanglewood, check this place out. The staff and owner were very friendly and hospitable, to boot! You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Had the Ellis Island which had great Italian meats and olives on wheat bread grilled. Awesome.

Also very clean. Will come back again.