“Don't judge a book by its cover!!!”
Review of Cafe Azteca

Cafe Azteca
Ranked #1 of 152 Restaurants in Lawrence
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Don't judge a book by its cover!!!”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I had heard about this place several years ago and since I love a good mexican meal, it has been on my list of places to try for a while. I admit that the fact that it was located in Lawrence MA kind of kept me away for a while.

But we did finally decide to go and I am very glad we did. We arrived at about 5:30 on a Saturday night. We were able to park directly across the street, and paid $1 at the meter. There were plenty of parking spots right there. From the outside, the restaurant looked like a non-descript hole-in-the-wall kind of place. There was no wait, and we were sat right away.

Within 2 minutes of being sat, a hostess came over to read the specials to us. After that, our waitress came over and took our drink orders. My husband had the 'Mexican Martini' and I had a glass of chardonnay. The Martini was tasty, and a bit on the strong side, which is a plus. The wine was a healthy pour.

The chips were fantastic, and the salsa was good, but not spicy at all. For dinner, I had the enchilada suizas and my husband had the special (chicken and shrimp in a light asparagus cream sauce. The special was delicious and the sauce was not heavy at all despite being a 'cream' sauce. The enchiladas were very good as well, made with fresh corn tortillas and a yummy tomatillo sauce. My son's meal, although just chicken fingers and fries, were homemade and plentiful.

Service was great, food was great! I agree with some of the reviewers in that a little spice would have helped. I will go back in a heartbeat though!!!

• Visited November 2013

“Better than Cancun”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We have been going to Cafe Azteca for 10+ years. We absolutely love the food and the service. The staff always nice - warm and welcoming. Quality and freshness over the top excellent. Atmosphere so warm and inviting and relaxing. Parking (street) never had an issue finding a spot. Great chips and salsa (warm chips) before dinner, not a drinker but drinks LOOK great. Never room for desert but have had it once or twice if we are with high school/college age kiddos and so yummy! Note DON'T waste your time on a taco or burrito (standard stock stuff you can get anywhere) go for the authentic dishes ---ask your server and think outside the box!

• Visited September 2013
Bangor, Maine
“Well worth a detour”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We just visited Cafe Azteca for the first time; and if that meal was representative, I think this may be the best Mexican restaurant east of the Mississippi. At any rate, we've been to at least fifty other places in the eastern U.S. (since leaving California decades ago) that range from so-so to plain awful. (And what an unlikely spot for a first-rate Mexican place, for while Lawrence has a large Hispanic population, it's mainly non-Mexican.) In any case, everything we tried was just right, including chiles rellenos, enchiladas al chipotle, queso fundido, even the beans and salsa. The restaurant interior is nicely decorated, the service friendly, and the prices decent. A nearby festival made on-street parking difficult, but I doubt that is normally a problem. And from now on we will time our drives south on 95/495 to be in Cafe Azteca for lunch.

• Visited August 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Mexican Jewel”
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Looking for a place for lunch in Lawrence, we followed the online advice and headed to Cafe Azteca, and were not disappointed. Great food, great service and great atmosphere. Highly recommended, even if I'm not a Mexican food expert at all!

Visited July 2013
Boston, MA
“Great Mexican food!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

For my money, this is the best Mexican food in the Merrimack Valley. Generous portions, lots of choices, attentive service, good prices - you really can't go wrong here. My only complaint is the salsa that comes with the complimentary chips is pretty tame, and seems to be the only option. Other than that, everything was very good!

• Visited July 2013

Been to Cafe Azteca? Share your experiences!