“It Ain't Fancy But ...”

Cravings Cafe
Ranked #23 of 47 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Cravings Cafe is one of three such eateries, with its sister cafes located in Marshfield and Norwell, Massachusetts. It specializes in fast food and seems good at that. The menu lists over a dozen different 'artisan pizzas' and almost two dozen differing 'Thin Crust Italian Pizzas.' Which makes it a pizzeria, doesn't it?

Yes - well, not quite ... not really. If we agree that a pizzeria is a restaurant, a bakery, or the like where pizzas are made and sold, then we can perhaps agree that the Cravings Cafe is a kind of pizzeria - sort off.

You see, although this establishment makes and sells a wide range of pizzas, it does more than that. It also offers a diverse range of burgers, all sorts of paninis and sandwiches, selections of subs and wraps, and tempts you with half a dozen or so different salads. And there are various soups and desserts as well. All of which can be eaten there or taken away with you. Additionally, you can sit down to a hearty breakfast, perhaps choosing from a variety of sandwiches, burritos, pastries, pancakes, home fries ... or opt for oatmeal with fruit.

So it's more than a specialist pizzeria. Yet it most certainly is not what I would class as a restaurant - an eatery for a fine dining experience. The Cravings Cafe just doesn't have the credentials for that. It's not a place for a romantic dinner for two or place to take someone you want to impress - heaven forbid that you make such an appalling mistake!

No, this eatery is best described as a bare-bones cafe, with an extensive pizzeria facility incorporated within it. You can sit down at one of several dozen vinyl topped tables, without tablecloths, in a setting with a stone dead ambience and with totally boring surroundings. But, hey, it's a cafe serving a wide variety of fast foods to hungry people in a hurry. Satisfying food at an affordable price. Just sit down, shut up, eat and then get the hell out of the joint!

Yes, yes, of course there's coffee! Did you really need to ask?

1  Thank Nicholas K

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I've been checking out this place for years, but only yesterday was I in the area for meal time. We picked up a few wraps and a cookie for a kayak trip. My husband's chicken caesar wrap was just right! Perfect amount of dressing, so as not to get soggy. I had a strawberry & chicken wrap with nuts that was AMAZING! We also split a PB cup cookie which was terrific. The place is prices - but not overly so. $7.50 - $8 for a wrap. The service is rather slow. I thought at 3 p.m. on a Tuesday, it would be a quick stop, but there was a short wait for food preparation.
We will definitely go back!

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Wonderful and friendly staff. I had a fried chicken and honey mustard wrap that was delicious. I can't wait to go back to have another one!

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Been eating at this establishment for quite a while. Everytime I get delivery it is messed up. Food shows up wrong and drivers try saying they don't have change. Sorry I'm not giving you a $10 or $20 tip. Kinda sad that a place with an awesome menu and food continue to let this happen.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

On a road trip to the Cape, my friend and I passed this and actually turned around to get a sandwich. I liked the sign they had out front about quality food, and it was right- all of their selections looked very good and what we bought (chicken avocado sandwich and bowl of haddock chowder) tasted great.

If you're going here, I would suggest calling in your order. The line was pretty chaotic. No one was clear where it started and there was quite a wait between orders being taken. It looked like a much faster process if you were just there to pick something up. We actually almost left because we stood at the counter waiting while employees chatted and ignored us. The sandwich (we picked up a pre-made one) looked so good though that we decided to wait, and it was worth it.

Prices are sky high for what you get though. If you're budget conscious then I think this is not the place for you. For a pre-made sandwich that was honestly nothing special (although it did taste great) it was almost $8. For a bowl of haddock chowder (again, tasty) that was basically the size of a cup at most places in my area it was over $6. Not a lot of food for what you pay.

I didn't buy any but the cupcakes looked amazing in the display case. They had pizzas and tons of interesting items listed, and they had a lot of sit down seating available.

2  Thank quiet_wave

Been to Cravings Cafe? Share your experiences!