“Great dinner, lousy service”

Solstice Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 47 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: American, Italian, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located in a restored 1900's train depot. Exposed brick and Original artwork highlight an elegant yet comfortable atmosphere.
Sandwich, Massachusetts
“Great dinner, lousy service”
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I dined here on 3/1/14 with another couple. No reservations are taken on Saturday night for parties under 6, so we arrived at opening. The hostess was welcoming and accomodating as to where we wanted to be seated Our waiter was pleasant but service was not great. First, he didn't bring a glass of wine and had to be reminded. Then, he forgot my husband's appetizer when the rest of the party received theirs. Had to be asked twice for oil and vinegar for my salad. Our food was very enjoyable and cooked to perfection. Atmosphere pleasant and cozy. Because of the service, I doubt we will dine there again.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Zrotkiv

Plympton, Massachusetts
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This hidden gem has a great atmosphere, excelent service and top notch food. The menu has enough variety to satisfy almost any diner. The food is prepared well and the presentation is first rate. The wait staff is attentive and professional. This is our first choice for a great meal out.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank RossMacPherson
Plymouth Massachusetts
“A "Raily" Great Experience”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Solstice is located in a former Victorian Train Station in the center of Kingston, Massachusetts, 5 miles north of Plymouth. The building itself, almost torn down in the 1980s, is reason enough to visit but when you add the buzz, the friendly and competent wait staff and above all the out-of-the-ordinary appetizer, salad, entrée and dessert selections Solstice proves to be a great choice for a fine dining night out.
My husband and I shared both the perfectly-prepared calamari and then the quite unique stuffed date salad. Utterly scrumptious! I selected one of the specials which was Cod done up Asian-style. The first note of import was the aroma of the meal, I don't cook enough to know what it was but it was wonderful. I especially loved the delicate Raman-type noodles that served as the base. My husband chose the :\"Chicken Under a Brick" as it had been suggested by another Solstice diner. He liked it "a lot" were his words and "a lot" was stresed. The browned bok choy surrounding the crispy poultry was especially tasty.
Being the dessert person I am I made it a point to save room and ordered the warm gingerbread pudding to accompany my cappuccino. OMG! Literally OOTW! Oh, and if you dine on a weekday, you get to experience the vibration of the commuter rail, just feet from the restaurant, as it makes it's way to and from Boston therefore making this a "raily" moving experience.

• Visited January 2014
Marshfield, Massachusetts, United States
“A real gem on the South Shore....”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

A cozy, pleasing ambience, superb food and helpful wait staff make for an altogether pleasant experience. We have dined here three times now and the meals were above average each time from appetizer (the tuna tacos and the egg rolls are amazing!) to desert. The fish dish I ordered was exceptional in both taste and presentation. We took friends with us on our last visit and they were as happy as we were with the choice. When you can't get to Boston and want a fine dinning experience this is the place to go on the South Shore. We expect to return often!

• Visited November 2013
Kingston, Massachusetts
“From 2013 to 2014”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Cheer to flow from one year to the next. Solstice restaurant was an excellent choice to meet. Although we ordered only after dinner drinks and egg rolls, which were perfect, we enjoyed the spirit and flavour of the place. Cozy, friendly, intimate all qualities that countered the cold wind and rain outside. This local is well known to Kingston residents as the "old train station." It's a fixture in Kingston that belongs to all of us Kingstonians. We welcome any people of "good will."

• Visited December 2013