“A decent but over priced meal”

Solstice Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 47 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: American, Italian, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located in a restored 1900's train depot. Exposed brick and Original artwork highlight an elegant yet comfortable atmosphere.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was between a 3 and a 4 on this place. It may sound strange to say, but I would have liked it a whole lot better if the entrees were a few dollars cheaper! When you spend in a higher price bracket (~$30/entree), you have a different expectation for food and service than a lower one (~$20).

We had a decent meal here, but not exceptional. The service was not bad, but again it certainly wasn't what I would hope for a more expensive meal. For example, we were given some bread for a starter and our table ended up covered in crumbs when we ate it. The waitress didn't crumb the table once throughout the meal between the bread and the appetizer, the appetizer and the mail meal, and even after our plates were cleared before the check arrived.

My partner ordered the duck (which the good) and it came with a mushroom "bread pudding" (aka a scoop of stuffing). The stuffing was ice cold. When he asked the server if it was meant to be cold, she apologized but rather than just bringing him a new hot side order she took his entire plate away for it to be corrected in the kitchen. It was a busy night, and he had to sit there with no food for 10/15 minutes.

Again, the food was decent, the service was decent - I am not complaining about what we ate BUT sometimes the devil is in the details. When I decide to splurge on a nice meal, I don't want "good" food, I want great food. I didn't dislike it, but I also don't think I will go back. I also found the menu a little limited in options.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Recently, friends and I visited Solstice in Kingston, MA. Our appetizers and entrees were delicious. Upon arrival for our reservation (booked days in advance for a party of 6) the hostess said that "sorry, perhaps we would have to wait"--because 1 of our group canceled at the last minute-- and we were only 5! We were unhappy to hear this, but determined to remain upbeat. As it turned out, there were no 'other' parties of our size waiting at that time, so we got to keep our table. I feel that there should have been no question about this and a reservation should be accommodated, regardless of just 1 person canceling. Another 'damper' was that our server suggested that the gratuity we included with our bill was not enough! Sorry, but our addition was correct! I, personally, do not intend to return.

2  Thank leggere65
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The location is a converted train station in Kingston, MA. We have dined there several times in the past. Last night we were treated to an elegant meal. Appertizers were oysters on the half shell. Our dinners were: seared tuna steak and the other was duck breast. Needless to say the meal was outstanding. Service was prompt and friendly. They only take reservations for six or more.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My family eats here at least once a month, and every time we are immensely pleased (I have been here maybe 8 or 9 times. Incredible food and cocktails (I particularly recommend the duck wings, the Gemini cocktail, and any soup they have for the evening). I am usually not so adventurous when it comes to soups, but I choose a soup every time and it is incredible! The truffle fries are also amazing. I really cannot say enough about the food; we have tried nearly everything on the menu multiple times and really enjoy it. The service is attentive and the atmosphere is very intimate and romantic. A wonderful date-night spot as well. This is easily the best restaurant I have eaten at south of Boston, and I have lived in the area for 22 years. Though the menu is unique and interesting and suitable to the tastes of more experienced diners, they have options like pizza and their fries which would be very palatable for children (like my sisters). GO AND ENJOY.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Visited on a Tuesday evening and was seated immediately. Waitstaff was very attentive and menu diverse enough for many tastes. We had some excellent raw oysters, followed by dinners of seafood and short ribs of beef. Both very tasty and delicious.
Wine selection is ample and chosen red pared nicely with our meals.
Waitress was friendly and excellent.
Prices were higher than most area restaurants, but atmosphere and food made it a value.
Would recommend, especially for a special occasion.