“A great B&B”

Ranked #3 of 4 Ipswich B&B and Inns
Pacific Northwest
“A great B&B”
Reviewed October 21, 2009

Just finished a 10 day vacation in the northeast, where we had vowed to take it one day at a time and do things on a whim. At the last minute we decided to try for a B&B in the area after heading south from Maine. I called the Rogers and Brown House, and after a brief interview on both sides (they don't usually book at the last minute) we agree we would stay. The place was great. Frank has done an amazing job in restoring the house. I wont repeat all the nice things the other reviews have said, but they are all accurate. Food was very good, and they were accommodating of one of our groups special dietary needs (needed a gluten free breakfast), even at the last minute! Pointed us towards the local pub/restaurant, and gave just the right level of attention. Not too little, not too much. Couldn't have asked for better.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Scotland
Reviewed July 1, 2009

We stayed here in April this year. We arrived a little late but to a charming welcome from our hosts. The house is amazing and the history is happily shared by it's owners. The rooms are beautiful and it's very trusting of the owners to let people use their wonderful antiques. The breakfast was so tasty and it was a real treat to eat it in such a lovely dining room. It's just a shame we couldn't stay longer. I would have no hesitation in recommending this guest house to any travellers.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Los Angeles
Reviewed September 1, 2008

I decided to stay at this B and B for a friend's wedding based on the excellent reviews! Boy, was I not disappointed. I absolutely feel that the lodging and the innkeepers made my trip! Johanne and Frank (the inkeepers) were wonderful...warm, knowledgeable, and excellent chefs. They even provided me with a Native American oil that kept bugs away during July. All of my friends thanked me for the oil at the wedding. I enjoyed my stay immensely and highly recommend it to anyone venturing to Coastal Massachusetts. The rooms were very clean, private, beautifully appointed, and filled with antiques. Beyond that, you receive excellent customer service and free tourguide advise with a personal touch (in this day and age that is rare)!

• Liked — The rooms and the innkeepers.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2007

I needed to book a room for myself, my 7 year old son and my 77 year old (somewhat unsteady on her feet) mother as my brother was to be married close by this beautiful, historical location. Thanks to Tripadvisor I found this b&b.
The owners, Frank and Johanne have restored their 17th century home to create a comfortable, peaceful place that was a joy to stay in. I can't recommend this place highly enough. We arrived late (our trip to the beauty parlour with the bridesmaids having taken up most of the day), and Frank, after making sure we we're settled in, went to fetch us pizza. From that moment on, all we found was kindness and consideration, and a 'nothing is too much trouble' attitude. Ipswich itself is quite small, and so when we came to go to the wedding we found there was no taxi service on which to call. Frank immediately came to the rescue and took us up to Castle Hill himself - what a hero!!
The b&b itself is very interesting. As it is so old, there are several staircases and my son delighted in investigating their home. It is full of curios, knick knacks and creaking floor boards that all add to the flavour of the house. Johanne is a very talented painter, and their shop next to the b&b is full of antiques, prints and her wonderful folk-art paintings.
Our stay was so comfortable that I honestly can't tell you what the bed was like - I fell asleep instantly and woke completely refreshed. The room was clean, everything we needed was available and Frank and Johanne couldn't have done more to make our stay any more welcoming. As mentioned in a previous review, the carafe of brandy and chocolates in our room just added to the joy of our stay. Breakfast was filing, but the best part of all was the conversation - I felt as if I have known this couple for years. Their welcome extended not only to me and my mother, but to my son as well, and this really added to the pleasure of our stay.
If you love old things, delight in the unusual and antique, and would love to stay in a place that summons up visions of a by-gone era whilst providing all the amenities of a modern age, the Rogers and Brown b&b is for you.

• Liked — Friendliness of the owners, the proeprty itself and the location.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank UKPenpusher
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 21, 2007

Johanne and Frank were fantastic hosts and provided excellent accomodations. Johanne prepared a delicious breakfast and they both welcomed us as friends. Frank took us on a trip through Ipswich to Crane Beach. We very impressed with our experience and would highly recommend this inn to anyone staying in the North Shore/Cape Ann area. I look forward to returning in the future.

• Liked — Hosts
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jlesh8
Ipswich
Reviewed July 27, 2007

I was accompanying my friend and his 9yo son, travelling North from Florida to Canada and looking for a stopover. My friends had researched the location and website before we set out on our journey. I am from the original Ipswich UK and this was an opportunity to visit Ipswich MA! We made our reservation very late in the day and arrived a little after plan on a wet night, but our hosts were ready for us with a warm welcome and had taken the trouble to advise the local pub that we would be arriving for a meal before closing time. After seeing us to our rooms, Frank kindly drove us there. (The locally brewed Ipswich Ale is recommended!).
The house is an intriguing mixture of excellent restoration, combining antique furniture with spotless modern facilities, tight steep staircases with large airy air-conditioned rooms. I slept soundly despite a little traffic noise early. There was brandy and chocolates in the room, a touch of luxury.
After a short walk around the lovely garden, a breakfast of fresh fruits salad, waffles and cereals was perfect. Frank and Johanne showed us pictures of how the house had been restored, then as our time was tight Frank took us on a whistle-stop tour of the town including a walk on Crane beach. Oh to have had more time to explore. The place names of my home country echo around the region and emphasise our common history.
Whilst you are there, take a look in the adjoining folk art shop where Johanne and other local artists have some interesting work for sale.
With its attentive and informative hosts, then as long as you are able to manage the stairs, I have no hesitation in recommending this delightful accommodation to visitors to the area. I would love to return.

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank lathyrusIpswich
New York
Reviewed July 23, 2007

My sister and I stayed at the Rogers & Brown Bed and Breakfast in July, 2007. We were extremely pleased by all aspects of the stay. Our room (the King Size suite) was elegantly furnished. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was very large. The breakfast was delicious and the hosts were particularly friendly and welcoming. They went out of their way to make sure we were happy. The Inn is also very close to Crane Beach- which made it perfect for beachlovers like ourselves. I would definitely return on my next trip to Ipswich!

• Liked — The elegant furnishings.
  • Stayed July 2007
1 Thank carlebach6
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
Rockport Inn and Suites
Blue - Inn on the Beach
Blue - Inn on the Beach
#1 of 1 in Plum Island
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore

Been to Rogers and Brown House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!