“One of the Great Beaches”
Review of Crane Beach

Crane Beach
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Ipswich
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy the Northeast's most spectacular beach and follow trails and boardwalks through a landscape of sand dunes and salt marsh.
Reviewed June 1, 2013

You can walk for miles....way past the weekend crowds that cluster near the parking lot. This is a vast, magical beach. Don't miss it!

1  Thank tajtoo

Reviewed May 28, 2013

First, you need to know that I live in the beautiful, landlocked state of Minnesota. The ocean blows me away and I am not a beach expert. In October 2012, my daughter and I were visiting her twin sister who now lives in Boston. It was our second trip out there and our goal was to head up to Maine.

We stopped off in Ipswich to check out the town. It was charming and the shop keepers were great. (Super Storm Sandy would hit 3 days later and everyone was talking about it). We then popped into the Visitor's center where the man in charge captivated my MN daughter with the Crane Mansion. We had to go. And off we went. But he also suggested we check out the beach.

First, we oohed and ahhed over the Mansion and grounds. We hiked over the grounds and enjoyed the sights (the building was closed for the season but they were preparing for a wedding). Then we went down to the beach. What a perfect day to stumble upon a jewel of a place. We soon forgot about Maine.

It was a warm, sunny day without a cloud in the sky. There were not many people. The sand and water were warm on our feet as walked barefoot along the soft sand. People were riding horses along the water's edge. My now MA daughter loved that! We picked shells. (You mean shells come from the ocean and not a souvenior shop?!) We watched the grassess blow in the small dunes lining the beach.

All three of us talk about that experience and are so grateful that we talked to the man in the visitor's center. It is such a beautiful part of the state. Heck, of the country! Loved it!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

One of the nicest beaches in New England, for sure, and one of the nicest anywhere. It stretches for miles along the water and yards and yards between the water and the dunes. Nice walking paths along the dunes, too. There's a large parking lot, ample services and beautiful vistas. It's a little pricey unless you have a full car, but well worth it.

1  Thank Steve M
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Great beach and worth the money for the day if you're not from the area...nice boardwalks onto clean, soft white sands for miles. When the tide is out there are sandbars to walk out to. Very nice facilities. Dunes make it fun as well! Great time of year to go when it's quiet!

2  Thank 4GivenMuch
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My fiancé & I spent a day last weekend in Ipswich...off season best time to enjoy this beautiful beach! Fabulous boardwalks lead down to the cleanest softest sands. Although too cold to swim, the beautiful surf and long coastline makes it extra special. And there are trails leading over and around the most amazing dunes. Some you can climb while others need to be respected due to coastal erosion. Nonetheless these trails are not easy due to the soft sand so they're quite a workout! I highly recommend spending a little more to experience a real summer beach day here.