“20 years later after the pilgrims landed, this was built”

Hart House 1640 LLC
Ranked #5 of 44 Restaurants in Ipswich
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The 1640 Hart House dinners are excellent and large. I had the chicken pot pie which was filled with wonderful tender pieces of chicken white meat and excellent fresh tasty veggies. I also had the fried oysters which I thought were great + the onions soup au gratin, again, huge size which suprised me. My only downside was that the room in the lowest level was cold..took time for the heat to come up; maybe they should have someone in a little earlier to turn it on; the steps down to this room, for my 91 year old friend, were a bit tenuous. Not having been there before, I was not prepared. The upside of this room was that it was quiet enough to have a nice conversation and had quiet backropund music. The pub portion of this restaurant was, in my estimation, had better, more comfortable seats and in this bar area, no need for reservations. I recommend this "elderly (1640)" restaurant; found the service good and reasonably expeditious. Get the onion sup if you like a lot; I did. Full size drinks too and not too expensive. Smile Chrism111112

2  Thank chrism72112

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Kim and Jim do an extraordinary job putting on terrific events. e were with a family group of 24 that was delicious, delightful and thoroughly accomodated by the staff.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I think the building is very nice, but the food was not at all special, we waited over 30 minutes to be seated, then the service was very slow, will not be returning anytime soon.

3  Thank jean d
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We had 7:30 reservations, but we got seated at 8:00. Thank god they took out orders while we were waiting because that would have been annoying. The food was good, had the baked haddock. Our waitress was good and was working really hard. It is a charming, old place and we hope that we can return on a less crowded night!

Reviewed August 24, 2012

We have gone to the Hart House for several different occasions-a large birthday party, a New Year's Eve dinner, and a plain old "date night". Each time we have had excellent food and service. And I have to say, they mix a fabulous drink! The real clincher for us was New Year's. We have all been to restaurants on holidays and have experienced sub par service even in the best of places. Not so here! They had two seatings for dinner. We (party of four) were taken right on time, were attended to by the server right away, and were never ignored. The food is great here, the prices fair, and the atmosphere is so charming. Highly recommend this jewel.

Been to Hart House 1640 LLC? Share your experiences!