“Horrible customer service”

Cuisines: Soups
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My girlfriend and I had the misfortune of going to Stone Soup Cafe in Ipswich, MA yesterday. It was absolutely the WORST "dining" experience either of us has ever had. The service was terrible. All the staff, from the greeter, to the servers, to the chef/owner, had poor attitudes and were not customer-oriented at all. Once we were seated (after a 10 minute delay for no reason), we were told that the only menu item that wasn't available was the reuben sandwich, which was not a problem for us. My girlfriend ordered the baked scallop dinner, and was told that they didn't have that either (it would have been nice if we had been told that at the beginning), so she had to order something else. After placing our orders and waiting for over a half an hour (during a non-busy time), we politely asked when our food would be out. We were given the run-around through vague answers (which weren't answers at all) and treated very rudely. Eventually, we were told that the chef forgot to make one of our meals. This was not a problem for us, although it did seem odd. Mistakes happen. However, what WAS a problem was that nobody there made any effort at all to rectify the situation. No apologies, no effort to try to keep us as customers, not to mention they didn't tell us what happened until after some of our meal had been delivered, which kept us guessing longer. When they asked us if we wanted to speak to the chef, they said we could go into the kitchen, rather than having the chef (who was the owner) come to our table. That is highly inappropriate, and demonstrates that even the owner has poor customer service. When we were leaving, one of the servers actually insulted us, telling us that we were rude (after we had been extremely patient and polite), and told us that they didn't want our business. It's clear that they don't care about their customers and they don't want repeat business. It actually seemed as though the staff had been trained to deflect, rather than deal with, customer service requests.

This whole experience was appalling, progressing from bad to worse to abominable. We still can't believe we actually paid money for this. We really should have left after the first couple of red flags. This place should be renamed the "Stone Cold Cafe" since the staff is stone cold toward their customers.

My suggestion if you're in the Ipswich area and want to get something to eat, go up the road to the Clam Box. The food at the Clam Box is excellent, and the staff is much friendlier.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Hungry & needed a good breakfast and since it advertised "breakfast served" on their sign, we pulled in without hesitation. The place was packed and the waitresses Sue & Queenie were awesome in every way! We sat at the bar and watched the Olympics on their multiple TV's. The girls were friendly, helpful and offered advice on visiting again for the Topsfield Fair in the fall. The food was GREAT! great value, great taste! Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I reallly enjoyed the food here. The first time it was included in our hotel stay and our second time we had to go back the food was that great! I got the belgium walffles so delish!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed June 24, 2012

This place knocked me out. I had homemade corned beef hash wrapped in an omelette. My son had a monster breakfast sandwich. Quality was top notch. Don't pass it by.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

I worked for Mark and Stefanie when they were located on Mitchell Road. Our last visit about a month ago the food was just as good as I remember back then. Renovations where done and the place looks great. The only problem I found was with the waitress...she never returned to see how we were doing or how our food was :( But the food was great and the atmosphere was awesome :)