“Don't miss Castle Hill if you are near Ipswich!”

Castle Hill on the Crane Estate
Ranked #2 of 21 things to do in Ipswich
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the grandeur of a seaside estate and its marvelously landscaped grounds, notable for a broad, undulating lawn running down to the shore.
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I was invited to join some friends who were planning to visit Castle Hill. This would not have been my first choice for sight seeing but once we arrived I was totally blown away by the mansion and the grounds. As noted by others, the house has over 50 rooms and had a staff of up to 150. And, it was used by the Cranes for only six weeks each year. The house is magnificent and the grounds are amazing with incredible views of the Atlantic. Definitely go if you are in the area.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

and it made such an impression on me. (I saw it from the ocean) I was in the area and wanted to see it again. We couldn't tour the castle that day but we walked around (I vaguely remember the maze) and saw the Grand Allee, this time from the hill. The view did not disappoint! The north shore looks so different from the south shore. The marshes with the wooded hills. Can't wait to return to Ipswich again.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We went on the mansion tour which I highly recommend. This 57 room great house has the most amazing views from the upstairs suites of the grand allee and ocean. Built in the English country style, much woodwork & fireplaces were imported from an older home purchased in England. Mr. Crane owned a bathroom fixtures company and this can be seen by the detailed bathrooms. Even the butler had his own private bathroom. We loved the son and daughter's private sleeping porches. Grand views, wonderful grounds including an elaborate formal Italian garden. With complete privacy up on the hill, this could be paradise.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I'm from northern N.Y. where we have a comparable attraction: Boldt Castle in Alexandria Bay. It is amazing to even think of how the wealthy were able to live in such a grand style. Unfortunately no photos were allowed inside, but the architecture was wonderful. There wasn't a bad view from any window. The exterior was amazing and loved the "back yard". A great day for a walk around the grounds and let the imagination take over at the formal gardens. Wonderful day. Also spent a great deal of time at Crane Beach.
A very worthwhile visit!

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Went to a lovely chamber concert in the mansion. For those who love both architecture and the beach, along with wildlife, it is a beautiful place to visit.