“Artful Relaxation”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ipswich
KAEDE Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 4 Ipswich B&B and Inns
Halifax, Massachusetts, United States
“Artful Relaxation”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I had a two day job in Ipswich over my birthday weekend and decided to make it a working vacation. Since I don't live too far away, i wanted something other than a traditional colonial B&B. I chose Kaede because I liked the idea of a Japanese breakfast served on home made pottery. The hosts were very kind and accommodating. I really loved the pottery and got hooked on the Japanese breakfast which helped me work all day with great energy, but not the fullness I might have felt from the amazing omelets I saw being devoured around me.

I stayed in the room with the whirlpool bath, which also helped me relax and get ready for work while still feeling like I was on vacation.

I highly recommend this place. It isn't traditional in many ways but I love the art, culture, family, and comfort. Well done and thank you for a most awesome stay!

Room Tip: The deep whirlpool bath is awesome! Nice big room with a little sitting room on the side.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My family had a house in Ipswich my entire childhood, so I write this review knowing the town and its activities very well.
My fiancé brought me here for my birthday for 2 nights in late October 2012. We stayed in a room on the backed the house with an ensuite bathroom.
Room was VERY CLEAN and nicely decorated. Not too country-bumpkin style, very sleek and cozy. Jason greeted us, very sweet and welcoming, immediately felt at home. He gave us a tour of the house, told us a but of its history as well as his family's history with the property. His daughter accompanied us, she is adorable and in the morning you can see her following around her mother and grandmother as they tidy up the house.
GREAT LOCATION, right in town, a short walk away from a delicious seafood dinner.
In the mornings you go downstairs and look at their breakfast menu board which changes daily with seasonal ingredients. HANDS DOWN THE MOST DELICIOUS BREAKFAST I'VE HAD N MY LIFE. The first day I had an omelet with roasted pork shoulder and gruyere, fresh fruit, bacon, amazing strong coffee. My partner had stuffed French toast made with an apple preserve from local farm apples, hand made by Makiko. Absolutely delicious. I CRAVE THIS BREAKFAST TO THIS DAY!!!

Amazing b&b, superb service, spotlessly clean rooms (I even took a bath!), incredible value, this is the only place I will go in Ipswich!!

Room Tip: Even if you don't get a room with an ensuite bathroom DON'T WORRY it will be clean and wonde...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JaeCox
UK
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We were in Ipswich to visit a collaborator at New England Biolabs who recommended Kaede B&B from personal experience. I was staying in UME (pictured) and my colleague in TAKE, both on the front of the building. We found both rooms to be spacious and peaceful, excepting the first night when seemingly every snow plough and gritter in Massachusetts decided to reverse (beep-beep-beep) through Ipswich, but they were clearing away the previous day's snow storm.

The two requisite features of a B&B should be a comfortable bed and a delicious breakfast. The bed (in UME) was magnificent! After long hours in the lab and yet more hours working late into the evening in the lounge downstairs, it was glorious to retreat to the room and snuggle away. The breakfasts at Kaede B&B, in my opinion, should be renowned (our collaborator even mentioned how he missed them). There were ~5 menu options each morning that changed day-to-day. I am slightly ashamed to admit I had the blueberry/blackberry American pancakes with bacon and maple syrup every morning bar one, but my colleague tried the French toast and various omelettes and was impressed by all. The Japanese breakfast must be tried! It has to be ordered the day before, but was a delicious experience unto itself. I would have ordered it more than once but felt guilty about the obvious additional effort that must go into preparing such a feast.

As for the rest of my room, the sink was a great feature in the compact shower room. The shower did stump a sleep-deprived me for a few minutes on the first morning, until I realised I was changing the shower's 'volume' not temperature. I found the fixed shower head a little awkward, but all the showers I've come across in America seem only to have fixed heads. Most importantly though, the water was of high pressure, hot, and plentiful. The room had plenty of storage for cases and clothes, and lovely large mirrors. The floorboards were a little creaky in shoes, but I brought slippers so this wasn't too much of an issue. Finally the power socket location was a little awkward for charging a phone on the side table, but there were plenty of other sockets in the room.

Jason and Makiko pitched their hospitality perfectly, always managing to be friendly and at hand when needed without making us feel awkward, or disturbing us when we needed to work in the mornings or evenings. Jason was especially congenial and would often join us for a chat over breakfast, whilst we waiting for our tardy lift to the NEB, or once to share a takeaway one evening when we underestimated American portion sizes!

The whole house is filled with paintings, tapestries, vases, figurines, lamps, and nicknacks, many of Japanese influence - though not in a cluttered way. This can significantly impact commuting times between rooms as there is always something to catch the eye. After remarking on the rustic crockery used at breakfast, Jason revealed the Japanese-inspired tableware were his own creations. Towards the end of our stay we discovered that we could purchase any of the items on display in the cabinet in the breakfast room. After a rummage through almost every piece we both now have unique functional mementos of our stay in Ipswich.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Kaede B&B if I found myself in Ipswich again, and would recommend it to all as it was recommended to me. The 'cherry on top' of our stay, that sums up what a lovely place this is, was Jason kindly researching train times for us and offering us a lift to the station!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
jdkeo, Owner at KAEDE Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
I have not written any responses to reviews in the almost 7 years we have been running KAEDE, but believe me, we do read and value what you have to say about KAEDE, Ipswich, and the service you received during your stay with us. So, I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has commented regarding their experiences at KAEDE. We do try our best to make your time with us comfortable and pleasant, and it is always good to hear we manage this on occasion!

This thank you extends to all the guests who have contributed to the overall experience as well. We have had the opportunity to host so many great people, guests who after their departure leave us with more than we had before we met, guests who refuel our tanks by their presence, who share themselves with us as families grow and time passes, and who provide pleasant surprises that really make our day. I would like to thank every one of you.

And with that, it is time to get back to making rooms, and preparing breakfasts....
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have had the opportunity to stay at Kaede on a number of occasions. The rooms are clean, comfortable, quiet and a great place to get a good night rest. Breakfast is always served with a smile and the food is excellent. I have not had a chance to try the Japanese style breakfast but will have to next time I have the chance.

The location is fantastic, very convenient to walk into town. The owners are wonderful sources for ideas of what to visit in the area. I would highly recommend Kaede for any lodging needs.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed January 15, 2013

There are not many alternatives for lodging if you wish to stay in Ipswich. It doesn't really matter so long as there is one good one and there is. Kaede B&B is VERY conveniently located to the downtown area (a two minute walk) and is very comfortable. Jason, the host, is interesting to talk with and is a good source of local information. The rooms are comfortable and spacious.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank johnlobo
West Stockbridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed at this lovely B & B last year in the center of Ipswich. Our room on the first floor was very accommodating and the Japanese breakfast was delicious. The breakfast reminded me of a traditional Japanese breakfast that I had in Kyoto, Japan in a traditional Japanese Inn in 2002.
We were also very fortunate to taste Makiko's traditional Japanese Gobo.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Hilo, Hawaii
Reviewed October 29, 2012

At a friend's recommendation, stayed here on Oct 26th. Booked the Kaede (Maple) room and was pleasantly surprised. Room was well-appointed and the bay windows add to the ambiance of the room. Felt like I had gone back to Colonial times with a touch of Japan to boot! Trip's first good night sleep. I had the windows slightly opened and, it was so quiet outside, you could hear a pin drop. Being from Hawaii, the Japanese style breakfast was purrrrrrrfect and addressed my cravings for home style food. Located within walking distance of downtown Ipswich, which is a gem of a town. Be sure to check out Crane Beach and nearby Russell Orchards. Dined at Ithaki which is a Mediterranean styled restaurant. A bit trendy but food was good and I enjoyed the local Ipswich rum. Jason, Makiko and Asuko (daughter) were the epitome of what great hosts should be. I also had the honor of meeting Makiko's okasan (mother), who was visiting from Japan. Long story short, strongly recommend Kaede's and will definitely return. A Hui Hou! :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank damookie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
Hampton Inn by Hilton Amesbury
#2 of 7 in Gloucester
Essex Street Inn & Suites
Essex Street Inn & Suites
#2 of 2 in Newburyport

Been to KAEDE Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!