“Everything one could wish for in a B&B” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of KAEDE Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ipswich
KAEDE Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 4 Ipswich B&B and Inns
UK
“Everything one could wish for in a B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

We were in Ipswich to visit a collaborator at New England Biolabs who recommended Kaede B&B from personal experience. I was staying in UME (pictured) and my colleague in TAKE, both on the front of the building. We found both rooms to be spacious and peaceful, excepting the first night when seemingly every snow plough and gritter in Massachusetts decided to reverse (beep-beep-beep) through Ipswich, but they were clearing away the previous day's snow storm.

The two requisite features of a B&B should be a comfortable bed and a delicious breakfast. The bed (in UME) was magnificent! After long hours in the lab and yet more hours working late into the evening in the lounge downstairs, it was glorious to retreat to the room and snuggle away. The breakfasts at Kaede B&B, in my opinion, should be renowned (our collaborator even mentioned how he missed them). There were ~5 menu options each morning that changed day-to-day. I am slightly ashamed to admit I had the blueberry/blackberry American pancakes with bacon and maple syrup every morning bar one, but my colleague tried the French toast and various omelettes and was impressed by all. The Japanese breakfast must be tried! It has to be ordered the day before, but was a delicious experience unto itself. I would have ordered it more than once but felt guilty about the obvious additional effort that must go into preparing such a feast.

As for the rest of my room, the sink was a great feature in the compact shower room. The shower did stump a sleep-deprived me for a few minutes on the first morning, until I realised I was changing the shower's 'volume' not temperature. I found the fixed shower head a little awkward, but all the showers I've come across in America seem only to have fixed heads. Most importantly though, the water was of high pressure, hot, and plentiful. The room had plenty of storage for cases and clothes, and lovely large mirrors. The floorboards were a little creaky in shoes, but I brought slippers so this wasn't too much of an issue. Finally the power socket location was a little awkward for charging a phone on the side table, but there were plenty of other sockets in the room.

Jason and Makiko pitched their hospitality perfectly, always managing to be friendly and at hand when needed without making us feel awkward, or disturbing us when we needed to work in the mornings or evenings. Jason was especially congenial and would often join us for a chat over breakfast, whilst we waiting for our tardy lift to the NEB, or once to share a takeaway one evening when we underestimated American portion sizes!

The whole house is filled with paintings, tapestries, vases, figurines, lamps, and nicknacks, many of Japanese influence - though not in a cluttered way. This can significantly impact commuting times between rooms as there is always something to catch the eye. After remarking on the rustic crockery used at breakfast, Jason revealed the Japanese-inspired tableware were his own creations. Towards the end of our stay we discovered that we could purchase any of the items on display in the cabinet in the breakfast room. After a rummage through almost every piece we both now have unique functional mementos of our stay in Ipswich.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Kaede B&B if I found myself in Ipswich again, and would recommend it to all as it was recommended to me. The 'cherry on top' of our stay, that sums up what a lovely place this is, was Jason kindly researching train times for us and offering us a lift to the station!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jdkeo, Owner at KAEDE Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
I have not written any responses to reviews in the almost 7 years we have been running KAEDE, but believe me, we do read and value what you have to say about KAEDE, Ipswich, and the service you received during your stay with us. So, I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has commented regarding their experiences at KAEDE. We do try our best to make your time with us comfortable and pleasant, and it is always good to hear we manage this on occasion!

This thank you extends to all the guests who have contributed to the overall experience as well. We have had the opportunity to host so many great people, guests who after their departure leave us with more than we had before we met, guests who refuel our tanks by their presence, who share themselves with us as families grow and time passes, and who provide pleasant surprises that really make our day. I would like to thank every one of you.

And with that, it is time to get back to making rooms, and preparing breakfasts....

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have had the opportunity to stay at Kaede on a number of occasions. The rooms are clean, comfortable, quiet and a great place to get a good night rest. Breakfast is always served with a smile and the food is excellent. I have not had a chance to try the Japanese style breakfast but will have to next time I have the chance.

The location is fantastic, very convenient to walk into town. The owners are wonderful sources for ideas of what to visit in the area. I would highly recommend Kaede for any lodging needs.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

There are not many alternatives for lodging if you wish to stay in Ipswich. It doesn't really matter so long as there is one good one and there is. Kaede B&B is VERY conveniently located to the downtown area (a two minute walk) and is very comfortable. Jason, the host, is interesting to talk with and is a good source of local information. The rooms are comfortable and spacious.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank johnlobo
West Stockbridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed at this lovely B & B last year in the center of Ipswich. Our room on the first floor was very accommodating and the Japanese breakfast was delicious. The breakfast reminded me of a traditional Japanese breakfast that I had in Kyoto, Japan in a traditional Japanese Inn in 2002.
We were also very fortunate to taste Makiko's traditional Japanese Gobo.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Hilo, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

At a friend's recommendation, stayed here on Oct 26th. Booked the Kaede (Maple) room and was pleasantly surprised. Room was well-appointed and the bay windows add to the ambiance of the room. Felt like I had gone back to Colonial times with a touch of Japan to boot! Trip's first good night sleep. I had the windows slightly opened and, it was so quiet outside, you could hear a pin drop. Being from Hawaii, the Japanese style breakfast was purrrrrrrfect and addressed my cravings for home style food. Located within walking distance of downtown Ipswich, which is a gem of a town. Be sure to check out Crane Beach and nearby Russell Orchards. Dined at Ithaki which is a Mediterranean styled restaurant. A bit trendy but food was good and I enjoyed the local Ipswich rum. Jason, Makiko and Asuko (daughter) were the epitome of what great hosts should be. I also had the honor of meeting Makiko's okasan (mother), who was visiting from Japan. Long story short, strongly recommend Kaede's and will definitely return. A Hui Hou! :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank damookie
Peterborough, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

A lovely B&B located right in the center of Ipswich. The Museum and restaurants are a short walk away. The hosts are delightful and helpful. The rooms tastefully decorated and clean. Te breakfasts, both Japanese and American were delicious.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

We booked this place only one day in advance looking for a place to stay on our way to Maine. It was reasonably priced and much more enticing than staying at a budget hotel. The Japanese influence can be seen in the décor and smelled throughout the home, probably due to the cooking. It is a very large home, the owners were extremely friendly and we were able to sit and talk with Jason during breakfast. It was a very relaxed and casual environment. His wife cooked us up some breakfast, which we picked off of the whiteboard menu. Coffee and fruit were served and my friend absolutely loved her omelet.

At first I liked the extremely hard bed when I first lay down but it was not so kind throughout the night for either of us. Although everything was clean the house is definitely felt its age, and the bathrooms and towels looked quite tired. There was plenty of parking behind the house and the little main street in the town was right down the street.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore
#1 of 7 in Gloucester
Beauport Hotel
Beauport Hotel
#3 of 7 in Gloucester

Been to KAEDE Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!