“Kids would be the key ingredient for this visit”
Review of Russell Orchards

Russell Orchards
Ranked #3 of 19 things to do in Ipswich
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I stopped by right before a huge rainstorm, so we didn't stay long. This is a working farm with a store that reminds me of the country store at Cracker Barrel. The "pick your own" option for apples would be fun in the fall. It was berries during the summer. There wasn't a lot of activity on Tuesday afternoon. We were staying in the area, so it wasn't a big deal to stop in, but I'm not sure adults would find the trip worthwhile. I had envisioned the winery to be more compelling. It was just a tasting table that was closed the time we were there. I like what this family is doing with the business, and I bet kids could make the experience magical. I"d recommend taking your own or borrowing some if you are headed to the farms.

All reviews
in 2 reviews
"gift items"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We've stopped here several times, and although we like it, we wouldn't go out of our way to come here - not like some other farm stands in the surrounding area that shall remain nameless for this review. See my other review if you're curious. Jams, jellies, so-so produce, cider donuts, lots of wine, you get the picture. Friendly staff.

2  Thank Nancy N
Reviewed March 5, 2013

On a cool mid-autumn day, I came for two half-pecks of apples and left it with cider and freshly baked muffins as well. Ample parking was in a dirt lot. Inside a rustic barn were baskets of a dozen varieties of apples — and shelves of many more foods besides. Near the barn, barrels of pumpkins and gourds lined a path back into the working farm and orchards. Visitors watched staff who were pressing cider out back. Be sure to bring a camera! The indoor staff and cashier were helpful and friendly. The outdoor bathroom was a portable outhouse. I liked everything about this delightful orchard, but most particularly the wide variety of apples.

1  Thank mainemountainbear
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Yes, it is bedlam in the fall--but the place is a wonderful throwback to orchards of my youth. Take the kids and have a blast. Note that weekends are particularly crazy.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We have brought our grandson here a couple of times to pick apples and explore the grounds. There are horses, goats, sheep, chickens, rabbits, pigs and ducks. Lots of farm animals for young children to feed and pet. Our grandson loves the old tractor that he can sit in and pretend to drive. This is also a good place to find the perfect pumpkin. Although it is too late for apple picking it is still a fun place to visit on a beautiful fall day. There is also a store where you can purchase apples and some produce along with maple syrup, honey and wine. They also make homemade cider donuts as well as cookies and pies. I thought the apples were pricey and the donuts we had were just ok. All in all a pretty place with lots of farm animals and places for young children to explore.