“Ideal base to explore Cape Cod”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hyannis
Captain Gosnold Village Cottage Colony
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
“Ideal base to explore Cape Cod”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

We'd heard that Hyannis was a bit of a functional and not too pretty town but we loved it. Captain Gosnolds also exceeded our expectations. We had a one bed studio which had a good kitchen area with a proper fridge and sink, a two ring hob and a microwave. Plus a fantastic gas BBQ on the deck that served us well for evening meals and even grilled bagels for breakfast! The unit was light and bright and although we wouldn't choose the quaint seaside decor at home it was lovely for a holiday.
Jill really looked after us and gave us lots of sightseeing and practical tips. The cabin didn't have a hair dryer but she lent us one. Free wifi was provided although the signal wasn't strong enough in our unit so we had to go to the playground area to use it!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Kwak_4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for cottages that are clean, quaint and close to the beach Captain Gosnold Village is for you. Our 1 bedroom cottage with a kitchenette felt like home. Our deck was the perfect spot to enjoy a grilled dinner. We were close enough to downtown to walk but far enough to avoid the traffic.

• Stayed September 2013
7 Thank Kansas326
Lynn, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We love this place. Have been coming for years with friends (girls weekend) and family. The cottages have everything you need & if it doesn't, Jill & Lexi will find it for you! Clean linens & towels every day if you want. Walking distance to 3 beaches and a great pool! You can't beat the outside deck on every cottage with grill. The gardens are fabulous!!! We had 8 of us in a three bedroom cottage - more than enough room for all! We'll be back!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank kathy c
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed in unit 4a last week and absolutely loved it!! The grounds here are beautiful and it is quiet yet convenient to everything! Jill and Lexi made sure we were comfortable and answered all of our questions about Cape Cod and surrounding areas. We were here for an ice skating competition and other skaters stayed at the Cape Codder. After visiting them in their hotel, we were so glad that we were staying at Captain Gosnold Village! This is a much nicer part of town and very close to the beaches! I took pleasant walks each day through the surrounding residential areas. For those of us from the mid atlantic or further south, the lack of air conditioning is unusual. But we quickly realized that having the windows open with the lovely breeze was perfect - we had a beautiful week with gorgeous weather so we were very comfortable with the temperature in our cottage! And if it had been too hot, you can rent air conditioning units for a nominal fee. I enjoyed waking up to the sounds of chirping birds each morning! Having a kitchen was convenient for us and we loved the deck with seating for four! The landscaping is beautiful with hydrangea everywhere. You will not regret staying here!! Now that we are back home, we are missing our little cottage in Cape Cod! If we are ever back in the area, I will definitely stay here again!! Beds were comfortable, firm but not too hard. I didn't mind paying the maid service fee up front because we received excellent service. Our cottage was cleaned each day with fresh towels, beds made and a clean bathroom - I think that is well worth the fee! It is the luxury of staying in a hotel but the convenience of having lots of room with your own kitchen too. I think what I loved the most about this place is that it had that Cape Cod feel to it - not your typical hotel stay! One note is that they didn't have a hair dryer or shampoo or conditioner - just soap. This wasn't a problem for me, because I brought my own. Didn't use the pool while we were there but walked over to it and it looked nice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank scrappy94
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband, 2 tween daughters & I spent 5 nights at Captain Gosnold's Village. Overall, we enjoyed our stay there.

The pros:

- The cottages are cute and comfortable. The decor was a bit dated, but it this was a family's vacation cabin and they furnished their cabin with their old furniture. Overall, the effect was charming. We really enjoyed the deck and liked having a grill.

- The grounds are beautiful and great for kids, with a nice pool area and a playground that my kids didn't check out but younger kids would like.

- The cottages are only a 5 minute walk away from a decent beach, Sea Street. There are 2 nice beaches within a mile or 2 of the cottages, but with parking $15 a day, it was nice nearby option.

- The cottages are just over a mile away from Main St. which was great. It was a bit too far to walk, but we never had a problem finding parking.

The cons:

- No air conditioning!! Our cottage (2B) came with 2 fans, which cooled it off enough that we could at least sleep, but it was HOT. The only way to make it habitable was to keep every window (none of which locked) open 24/7, which made me nervous since anyone could get into the cottage while we were gone.

- The pool wasn't available much of the time. It didn't open until 10, which was bad enough, but it often locked during those times several times during our stay. The manager told me Hyannis requires a lifeguard to be there at all times, but if the pool is slow, she sends him/her home. We came back early one day specifically to swim and found it closed at 4pm!

- The manager is crusty at best and abusive at worst. She yelled at me over the phone when I asked her to reopen the pool. To her credit, she apologized to my husband the next day when he went into the office to drop off the keys, but still... It made me glad we didn't complain about how hot our cottage was!

- We were required to pay a mandatory $70 cash "gratuity" to the manager at check-in for a 5 day stay. We were told this was a tip for housecleaning staff, but $14 per day for empty the trash, make the beds & bring fresh towels?

Room Tip: If it's expected to be hot, ask for unit with air conditioning. I think a few of them have it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank KarenS1215
Monsey, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

When I got the brochure of Captain Gosnold Cottages I thought it looked welcoming, but the actual cottage and grounds far surpass what I saw on paper. My husband & I had a one room cottage which included a totally equipped kitchen (fridge, microwave, stovetop & every dining/cooking need imaginable), full bath, sitting area, and a private deck with table, chairs & brand new grill. The room was decorated with all sorts of cutesy signs and shell/fish motifs (down to the toilet seat!) The grounds were beautifully maintained & I noted the main office had books and games to lend. It was a bit odd to have to pay a cash gratuity up front but I guess that's their policy. There was no a/c unit but perhaps those get installed later on in the season but there was a ceiling fan & portable fan. The cottages are an easy walking distance from several beaches. Parking was practically in front of the cottage. We went pre season so the place was wonderfully quiet. I highly recommend this as THE place to stay when vacationing in Hyannis.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Regy5
Scarsdale, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

The "Village" is a collection of charming grey-shingled cottages (very much traditional Cape Cod in appearance, but modern and well-maintained). Most of the units have small kitchens w/ dining areas, as well as gas-grills outside--a real convenience that very few places on the Cape provide. It appears that most have full living rooms with comfy chairs, couches, and cable TV. The location is great, just a block from Sea Street Beach, in a tranquil residential area. It gives you the best of both worlds: a bit removed (about a three-minute drive) from the action/noise of Main Street, but just a short walk to the beach....very quiet & peaceful when you want to relax/sleep. The units have spacious decks (and, in a few cases, porches) where you can hang out, have drinks, and cook out. Often there's a sea breeze blowing and it's so restful that you may find yourself dozing off right there. The grounds are nicely landscaped: plenty of trees and shrubs for privacy. Swimming pool is right in the center of the Village, but is surrounded by thick hedges so that you might walk by and not even know it's there. The manager lives on the grounds and is very accommodating, knowledgeable about local attractions, and only too happy to give you suggestions and directions.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family