“A fun way to really experience Hyannis Port, MS”
Review of Catboat Rides

Catboat Rides
More attraction details
Owner description: Catboat Rides offers fun and affordable sailboat excursions and charters in Hyannis, MA. Our boat, the 'Eventide', is a Catboat class of sloop rigged sailboat, an authentic traditional local design. She is 34 feet long, has a wide 10 foot beam and a mast 38 feet tall, assuring a steady, smooth, and comfortable ride. We get much closer to coastal attractions than other Hyannis excursion boats. We have a well stocked bar and galley onboard. Our dock is at 146 Ocean St. Hyannis, Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Follow ferry signs to Hy-Line Ocean Street Dock(Not South Street Dock!) Turn left into metered parking lot immediately after 2 large signs for Hyannis Harbor Cruises and Spanky's Clam Shack Restaurant (across from Hyannis Holiday Motel).
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Our family of 4, including a 17 and 15 year old, enjoyed seeing Hyannis Port from the water. This is a family run cat boat and provides a "real" sailing experience. We felt like we wouldn't have really experienced Cape Cod life without doing it. The captain and mate were both very capable sailors and sailed us right out into the harbor among all the boats, large and small, coming and going. They were also very friendly local people that were willing to share any information you might want or need about the area. Every seat on the boat provides for an excellent view of the comings and goings from the harbor and the nearby shoreline. There is even food and beverage (including alcohol) provided by the mate from the galley (for an extra cost - bring cash). Because of the size and agility of the boat you get very close to the Kennedy compound (that can only be seen from the water) and we even crossed paths with the Kennedy sailboat as it was out sailing the afternoon we were there. A very fun 2 hours but I would recommend making reservations and be sure to arrive in plenty of time to find parking before your sailing time.

Reviewed August 27, 2011

We have been looking at the catboat for years now and finally went last week. It was a terrific sail! The captain is very responsible and knowledgeable and his first mate was very nice and helpful. We took my mother who is in her 80's and my nephew who is 10. Both loved it! The first mate (sorry I've forgotten her name!) set it up so I could take a picture of my nephew at the helm with the captain and on his own. He was thrilled! The captain knows a lot about the area and pointed out many things of interest. It's a comfortable, relaxing ride and a good way to get out into the larger harbor. We highly recommend it! There are also things to do and places to eat around the dock. We shopped the Shanty Shacks while we were waiting to board.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

First comment is that I can't say enough good things about the boat captain and his helper to make the best of a cruise that never should have left the dock. The Catboat is a beautiful boat that I would look forward to sailing on again under the proper conditions. The problem is that the weather was anything but "calm" for this advertised mellow sunset cruise and should have been cancelled. So much .. that the later cruise after our trip was cancelled. Unfortunately because of 30 knot winds we were only under sail for about 10% of the time and only at about 20% of the jib sail. The main sail never went up and we had to power out and back in to shore. The high winds and rough seas made it quite a challange for the captain and his helper to keep the travellers "dry" and warm. We actually called during the afternoon and asked the reservation clerk if the boat was sailing in this hard winds. We were told that it was running all day and that there were no concerns. This is much different than what was communicated by the captain/helper as they told of similar troubled conditions all day. We would have gladly rescheduled to a better day if we were told the truth about the conditions.

The plan was to stay close to the harbor to try and avoid the heavest winds but that would have meant not really being able to sail as advertised.

I would recommend going on this boat in calm seas and wind conditions. Like anything else, monitor conditions from an independent source ... not just the girl "taking" your money ;).

1  Thank Jimbos01
Reviewed October 5, 2010

My wife and I were celebrating our one year wedding anniversary on 10/1/10. We made a reservation with the captain, for 10/2/10 for the sunset cruise. We informed him that it was our anniversary and we were comming from north falmouth on a public bus an hour away.He took down all our info including our phone numbers. He even told us how to get to his location from the bus. The evening we arrived his receptionist sitting sitting on the dock with a labtop in her lap and a cell phone told us he canceled the trip. We said no one called us to inform us of the cancelation. She told us we did'nt even have a reservation , sorry.We explained how difficult it was to get there and how our whole day of planning was around this sunset cruise. She said I will have him call you .He never had the decency to call us back and apoligize for ruining our evening because by the time we got back on the bus to falmouth many attractions were closed and restaurantshad no tables until 11 o'clock to eat. I advise not to do business with this company .

7  Thank johnnyfork27
See more reviews
Reviewed June 2, 2010

On a Saturday, we called and reserved space for the following Tuesday 2:15 p.m. trip. They took my name and cell number and we planned our Tuesday around the cruise. When we arrived, we learned that our trip had been canceled because they were short a crew member. They had made no attempt to warn us (I had my cell phone with me and it has voice mail, besides). What a disappointment! And there was no apology from the staff (who was a sun-weathered lady sitting in a lawn chair on the sidewalk next to a princess phone).

I am aware that this cruise is highly recommended and don't want to dissuade anyone too strongly. Here is my ultimate advice: If you make a reservation, you apparently need to take it upon yourself to call again before leaving for the dock to make sure that the cruise is actually going as scheduled.

5  Thank funchords