“Not bad, but not like it used to be”
Review of IL Maestro

IL Maestro
Ranked #76 of 200 Restaurants in Hyannis
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I'm afraid this is another one of those very familiar restaurant stories. The great little restaurant in a small, buy cozy location, with great homemade food, decides to go big time with a bigger, newer, "nicer" location. But they lose the charm and the quality of what made them a success in the 1st place.
My wife and I had a disappointing dinner experience last night. It wasn't bad, just a big miss from what it used to be. To start, we were seated in a booth along the back wall. When the door opened for customers either coming or going, there was a bone chilling draft that ran through the entire restaurant. Next, we looked for our favorite item on the menu; chicken braciolettine for her and veal braciolettine for me. To our great disappointment, we were told the dish was removed from the "new menu" (as well as a few other local favorites). Too bad, that dish was not only our favorite, but many of our friends raved about it, and it was the featured dish of a Dine Around Cape Cod article recently. We ordered our martinis, and what used to be nicely made cocktails in deep martini glasses is now vermouthy mix in shallow glasses. 1/2 the cocktail that it used to be, at a more expensive price. Ditto for the glass of chardonnay, with the pour line etch into the glass (cheap and tacky).
We ordered a ceasar salad to split. It was a nice size for 2, and a nice lemony caesar dressing with fresh parmesan cheese shavings. I love anchovies, if that was an option, it wasn't offered by our waitress.
I had the chicken and sausage carbonara, it was salty and OK. My wife saw a veal Romano dish that sounded good, and asked if it could be made with chicken instead. The waitress said no problem. What was served, was a pre-cooked, breaded chicken cutlet made for chicken parm, topped with a Romano sauce. Not very inspiring.
Our service was solid, and the decor is certainly an upgrade from the old West Main St. location. But I'd trade the decor upgrade and the higher priced menu of the new, for the better quality food and the cozy atmosphere of the old, anyday!
Fix that door problem... who likes to dine with freezing winds blowing through the whole place??

There are newer reviews for IL Maestro

Reviewed December 24, 2012

Traditional Italian and very nice specials. Easy to park , worth the find.
Helpful waitstaff and accommodating chef.

Had the chicken parm and spaghetti carbonera, mmm good....

Would like to see a Website with menus. Can't seem to find.

1  Thank havingfunagain
Reviewed December 11, 2012

First time to the new lovely location - they really need to update their Trip Advisor photo! We got there later in the evening so it was on the quiet side and the bartender did double duty as our server. Friendly enough and very efficient. The Bruschetta and Eggplant Parmesan were - in a word - PERFECT! I really like the feel of the new location - so much cozier and appealing. I have only one complaint...the bus person sprays seriously otent cleanser on the tables once guests leave and it is caustic. It would be much better if she used some soapy water or sprayed the cloth away from the guests and wiped the tables down.

1  Thank Sheila F
Reviewed November 3, 2012

They have THE BEST bruschetta in the world. Something about the quality of the olive oil they use and the amount of garlic makes this appetizer something you will wish was a main dish. The Beef Braciole is excellent with the Marsala sauce and an extra cup of their delicious marinara sauce on the side. The olive oil to dip the warm rolls in is also perfectly seasoned. You can't go wrong here. It gets five stars from me!

1  Thank intotea
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This restaurant recently moved to a new location and it's very nice. Attractive, quiet, just far enough away from the hustle and bustle of Main Street, yet easy to find and within walking distance of downtown Hyannis. Now, on to the food... just wonderful. I think the new location has inspired the chef to greater things! The service was great, cocktails - a generous pour. I had the mussels dijon as an appetizer and wanted to lick the plate! We each had a different veal dish and argued about whose was better! I can't wait to go back... I think I'll work my way through the menu! Yum.

1  Thank Beth M