“Not bad....but could be better.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Black Cat Tavern

Black Cat Tavern
Ranked #7 of 188 Restaurants in Hyannis
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Our casual waterfront restaurant is located right on the docks of Hyannis Harbor across from the Hy-Line ferries. Dine inside, where the look is all about classic seaside style, or outside on our heated patio while watching the boats sail in and out of the harbor. The menu features everything from thick, juicy burgers and garden-fresh salads to fresh native seafood and prime beef. Visit the Black Cat Tavern, year-round favorite among locals and visitors alike. Serving lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch with entertainment four nights a week in the lounge. Plenty of free parking with valet service offered for your convenience.
Mamaroneck, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not bad....but could be better.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

We went to the Black Cat on a recent Thursday night. My wife and I were initially told by the first hostess there would be a 20 minute wait to sit outside - but then a second hostess came by and was able to seat us immediately. At about 8PM, about 15 minutes after we sat down, the hostess was telling everyone it was a 40 minute wait to sit outside. I guess we arrived just in time. My wife had the BBQ steak tips dinner. She liked it except for the fact it was simply on a bed of rice with no other vegetables, or anything else on the plate. The plate was also too small for the entree. They really should put this entree on a bigger plate. My fish and chips were good except for the amount of fish - the portion seemed smaller than normal. The server was pretty good and we really didn't have to wait too long for anything. My rocky roadhouse dessert was good enough to order again but my wife didn't have much to say about the fresh fruit oatmeal crisp. The outdoor seating is nice since it's right on the main street and across from the harbor. I'd probably go back again on a nice day for lunch or dinner simply because the atmosphere outside reminds me that I'm on vacation.

• Turkish first
Athlone
“Great food, great waitress, nice location - we would definitely go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2010

We arrived at the Black Cat at 6.45pm last Saturday - the 2 front of house ladies were just about pleasant, not friendly! We were told we'd have to wait 40 minutes for a table outside and we were shown to the bar via a packed out, cramped dining room - it was pretty hectic. About 10 minutes later we were told our table was ready but we'd have to be out by 8.30 - this suited us fine! We had our 2 daughters with us and the kids' menu had the usual (unimaginative) fare - hotdog and fries, burger and fries, grilled cheese and fries, pasta (no fries!) - sometime I'd like to see maybe some grilled chicken with potatoes, veggies and gravy!! There was an extensive seafood menu and really, my husband and I were spoiled for choice! We both had a starter of scallops wrapped in bacon - this was just over USD10 for 7 pieces, it was delicious and we hadn't seen that on a menu before. Our main courses followed swiftly - seared yellow fin tuna with sesame seeds on a bed of Asian salad which was superb and mixed seafood in a saffron fennell broth - also delicious. There were 2 specials of duck and sea bass which also sounded great as well as a wide choice of burgers, chicken and I think a few veggie options. Our waitress Chantelle more than made up for the frosty front of house! She was honestly the friendliest person we met in Hyannis that weekend. If we're ever in the area again, it will be our first choice of restaurant.

Franklin, Massachusetts
“Has some flaws”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

I have been going to the Cape for years and had never been to BCT. It was probably not a smart move going late on a Friday night in peak summer season. But, I would also think a Cape restaurant in such a prime location could handle the masses. Got there around 8pm and the wait was around 40 minutes, we were given a pager and got a seat at the bar. The bar is decorated with a rowing crew theme with cat stuff tastefully added here and there. I am a cat person, so I loved this. I thought it was a very nice bar and the piano/guitar duo was excellent.

We waited a solid hour and started to notice people were strolling into the bar and taking dirty tables. We still waited and eventually a hostess came through the bar and saw our pager sitting there and ran back to the host stand. I finally caught up with the hostess and said we had been waiting over an hour. She said, " We were paging you, but you did not come." Question: How are we supposed to know the pager is not working?? I told her people were just coming in and self-seating themselves while we sit here and wait. She said our table was ready and we sat down around 9:30.

The food was very good and priced as you would expect for near-ocean front dining on Cape Cod. Overall, it was not a horrible experience but it was not a fabulous one either. The place itself is very cute, clean and has outdoor seating if you get lucky. I would like to return, but probably not on a weekend in peak summer.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
USA
“New owner May 2010”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

We have eaten here previously. I was hoping to witness some waitress "smackdown", based on other reviews, but was disappointed. The restaurant was filled to capacity for dinner by 6:30 to 7:00 PM. We walked across the street after a HyLine trip to Nantucket. There were no specials. The meals were better than average. Portions were not too small. However, I saw nothing too creative on the menu. Lots of fried food. Some of the meals around us looked pretty nice. There is outside seating which fills quickly on nice days. We arrived late an sat inside. No disappointment here, no surprises, nothing fancy and no smackdown.

West Midlands UK
“Good service but overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2010

The service was good and friendly but the food was ordinary and not worth the price. Portions were small especially compared to usual American portions.