“Great location, out dated room's” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Heritage House Hotel

Heritage House Hotel
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Hyannis
“Great location, out dated room's”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is right on main street hyannis, which is right were you want to be. The rooms are very out dated, but clean.

This is a great hotel if you plan on being out and about but not if you want to hang in all day.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Northampton, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I am a tour guide speaking for a total of 16 people which stayed at this property (not by our choice) and all complained about the hotel. I guess the company that I work for and booked this hotel property didn't realize how bad it was because when you read the hotel information and look at photos it does look decent. The company booked the hotel because of the location which is good when you stay in Hyannis, MA right on Main St. The hotel has around 140 rooms which are split between 3 buildings: main building, building # 500 and # 600 with about 20 rooms in each (rooms with numbers 501 etc. and 601 etc). We stayed in building #600 because the hotel was full of travelers (mostly seniors) and they were in main building. As soon as we enter the building you could smell the bad odor of mold and saw the dirty carpet in the hallway. I thought that the odor would only be in the hallway but when i opened the door of my room I was hit by the same smell and was the same for my other passengers. I immediately went to front desk and asked to change us to a different building but was told that the hotel was sold out and those were our rooms for 2 nights. I can't say if the main building or the # 500 building had same problem because I stayed away as much as I could from the hotel and we were there for 2 nights. The beds are not very good and some of my passengers complained of the sheets and towels to be dirty and some hair was found in between sheets including my. I slept with the window open and the heat on to try to keep the smell down and covered my self with clean towels (looked before touching them) to try to sleep and as you can imagine it was not good. I notice the rust under the sink and the bathtub showed craks on the outside

The owner of this property should read this before he rents this hotel rooms;
DISCOVERING that you have mold within your property can cause you to feel many things. You might initially feel disgust, frustration or even a sense of being overwhelmed. MOLD has a pungent smell. When it is confined to one area of your property, you may notice an unpleasant odor when you are in that area. Mold can sometimes live within the walls or behind wallpaper, and so you might not immediately associate the smell with mold. If you do notice an unusual persistent odor the culprit may be mold.

I am not sure how the main building is because i spent most of the time out. In fact my breakfast was included but decided not to eat to be on the safe side.

First time in 25 years of travel that I encounter a problem with a very smelly hotel and I have stayed in worst looking places and cheaper hotels like Super 8 or Motel 6

If you decide to rent a room there ask to check it before paying for it. If they want to assign you on the #500 or #600 block then you better take a good look and smell the place.

I notice other reviews about the bed bugs. I didn't notice bed bugs but for sure I left there hitching with what it could be dust mites. They live in moldy and dusty places. Information on wikipedia

Good luck!

Room Tip: Spend your cash in a different hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank gowithgus
Mark W, General Manager at Heritage House Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel and the positive comment about our GREAT location.

Our management team was never notified about these issues while the tour was at the hotel. It is very important that we are notified about issues during your stay so that we may respond in an efficient manner and correct the situation.

This tour was assigned these specific accommodations based upon our recent renovation and at the request of the contracting office. The Main building(Chatham) which you inquired about moving to, was not available since we sell out months in advance. Our rooms are cleaned and inspected to AAA standards and updated with new carpet, furniture, artwork, lighting and fabrics.

Please remember that escorts are hired to represent a company and assist in problem solving all issues during the tour. A single review does not necessarily reflect an overall tour experience. Again, thank you for your comments.

Yours in Hospitality,
Mark H. Waldruff
Heritage House Hotel
259 Main Street
Hyannis, MA 02601
508-775-7000 extension 553

Travelers are raving about these Hyannis hotels

Milton, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

My mother and I haven't gone anywhere together since 1999 when I was 12 years old. I decided to take her away for Labor Day weekend just the two of us.

Despite all the bad reviews for the Heritage House Hotel, I decided to give it a try. I'm so glad I did. It was really the perfect place for me and my mom.

First let me start with the Pros...it really is in the perfect location. It is right on Main St. and close enough to walk to everything, so no need to search for parking. It is right across the street from the Cape Cod Railroad (which I actually wouldn't recommend...very boring and all we saw was shrubbery as it was blocking all the views). It is also about a 20 minute walk to the harbor where the boats for Nantucket and Martha Vineyard take off, as well as about 20-30 minutes from the closest beach - Veteran's Beach and Kalmus beach. As we walked down Main street I saw all the other properties that I had considered in my search and after seeing them all I am so glad I choice the Heritage House Hotel.

There were two pools, an inside and an outside, which was nice. There was also a really nice hot tub inside. The outside pool was too cold to use, however there were plenty of loungers so we laid by the pool for a little while as the sun was nice and bright.

The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful at check in and during our stay, especially Petra. The only problem I had was at check out. I was dealing with a girl that I hadn't seen before and she was kind of rude. I believe her name was Gina, but all the other staff was really great.

There was a mini fridge in the room which was nice, but there is no microwave. There also was a balcony which was very spacious and perfect for us to sit out and drink our morning coffee together. We did go down to the bar the first night and the bartender was very pleasant. The drinks were good too! The menu was limited so we didn't eat dinner there, but it was a nice area. There is also a computer and printer in the lobby for guests to use which was nice. I didn't bring my laptop so I am not sure about WiFi but I believe there was WiFi throughout the hotel.

There was no musty or bad smell in the room, nor did we find mold or bed bugs like some of the reviews suggest. There are three buildings that belong to this hotel and we stayed in the Main building, so I can't say what the other two buildings looked like. We stayed on the Third Floor, pool side with a balcony.

Here are some of the Cons:

The hotel was definitely a little outdated....but nothing that caused us to have a miserable time. We were perfectly fine with the old fashioned decor.

The only thing that I would really say was BAD was that the walls were so paper thin. It wasn't so much a problem for me as I had ear plugs (since I am a very light sleeper anyway) but the people next door were extremely noisy at around midnight and my mother was up for most of the night since she could hear their conversations.

In addition to that, the bathrooms are a little small, but honestly how much time does one spend in the bathroom? I mean it would have been nice to be bigger, but it worked for us.

It also didn't have a fitness center which I was kind of hoping for, but it is not a huge issue.

Also, it would have been great if breakfast was included in the rate, it would have been nice to save a little extra money, but again not a huge deal.

I paid an average of $109/night with a great deal I got from Hotels.com. For that price I would say it was well worth it. I guess it all depends on the room you get and what your expectations are. Obviously it probably isn't for everybody. But if you are low key, easy to please, and not really picky than I would highly recommend it as it really is central to everything!

Room Tip: Room 312 was great. It had a balcony overlooking the pool and was very comfortable.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Nicole H
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

After staying at Heritage for 2 nights on Labor Day weekend, we are very pissed. We stayed on the 3rd floor, room is clean and neat, but bath tub is kind of small. Morning after 2nd night, my husband found some bed bug bites (>10) on his legs and arms, they are itchy and red. I have 5 bites as well. We bring back Cape Cod good memory , also some itchy bite marks.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Mark W, General Manager at Heritage House Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I can assure you that The Heritage House does not have a bed bug issue. Our hotel is professionally maintained by an exterminator like all hotels/restaurants and commercial properties.

We appreciate your positive feedback regarding the cleanliness of our rooms and location of our hotel.

Please contact me directly if I may be of assistance to you. Thank you.

Very Truly Yours,
Mark H. Waldruff
gm@heritagehousehotel.com
508-775-7000 extension 553
Titusville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Went to Cape Cod for a week. Stayed at Heritage house for 4 days. The rooms are very clean and the hotel staff are great...Great food in the resturant..Had the full breakfast. And was very good. The only thing I didn';t like the room had a musty smell....But nothing too bad, Chauncy's Bar and Grill has great food...Had a patio to sit outside at night..Easy access to walk to the Harbour..Very Safe Place to go sight seeing...

Room Tip: Only 2 floors to this Hotel..Has a elevator...A/C worked great...32in Flat screens
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Paulette D
Swampscott, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is a pleasant hotel, on the edge of downtown Hyannis. You can easily walk to the main street or the harbor to access all the restaurants and attractions. The staff are helpful and polite, and the room was very clean. We needed to ask for extra pilows and towels as we have four people, but they were happy to oblige. Good value overall.

Room Tip: Stay in Building 5 which is away from the noise of the main street.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family