“Lousy Plastic Chairs and overwhelmed staff.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Cape Codder Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Hyannis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston
“Lousy Plastic Chairs and overwhelmed staff.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2007

We thought we were getting a great family friendly vacation by booking at the Cape Codder for $259 per night with an upgraded room. The room was adequate, but the pool area was for children only. We upgraded to the fireplace room and found a can of sterno to be lit behind some fake logs. Housekeeping didn't make it to our room on our third night there. What a rip off!

The lounging area for grownups featured $5.00 plastic chairs, and not enough of them. We visited friends at the Sheraton nearby, which featured lovely lounge chairs, lots of room, a beautiful pool with attached game room for $100 per night.

The lifeguards were overwhelmed by the number of children and the staff at the restaurant said the wait for dinner at the Hearth and Kettle was over an hour! Room service as an alternate to waiting took longer!

Stay away.

Stayed February 2007
5 Thank Megbba

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Hebron,CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2007

Rooms very clean - everyone was very nice. Tons of kids - best for children under 13 yrs old

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Brian001
brunetteblond
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2007

My father, and I have come here NUMEROUS times. Everytime we go there the game room is in a different spot. I use to love the pool, now I hate it , all the little kids are swimming in it. AND guess what!!! Last night they had to close the pool or an hour, because some little kid POOPED in the pool. HOW DISCUSTING. The food is GREAT, but sometimes plain. The spa is nice, I got a massage very relaxing, but the lasy giving me the massage, was as old as maybe 60's?? OH, and last but not least,, THE BEDS ARE SO UNCOMFTORBOLE. THe cots are very comfy. =]

• Liked — Spa
  • Disliked — Two many little kids at the pool
  • Stayed February 2007
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank brunetteblond
massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2007

we booked our room based on the amenities, especially for the pool area. we were very disappointed as the area was definitely geared for very young children, and my family consisted of young teenagers who after visiting the pool area had no desire to use it. we were hoping for a nice dip in a heated pool not a 2ft deep area full of very young children. it would have been nice if they had a regular sized pool for older children. i feel that for the amenities offered and the cost, there are many other resorts in the area that would have been a much better choice for families without very young children . they do have a jucuzzi area for people 16 and older, but the children with me were 14 and 15. sorry kids, out of luck!

Stayed February 2007
6 Thank danny9618
MASSACHUSETTS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2007

We arrived 10 minutes before the 3 PM check in time. The line was 6 people deep. OK, we waited. Then we finalized check in details with a clerk. Then, he dropped The bomb..."your room isn't ready yet." Then I said, "Will it be ready by 3 PM?" His reply, "Just check back with us later. Why don't you go and relax at the wave pool, or eat in our restaurant?" No thanks, we would like our room. At this point the line was 15 deep. Oh great. My daughters and I took a stroll around the hotel. At 3:20 or so we returned to the lobby. By now the line was 20 deep. Do we wait our turn again? Or do we cut? My 11 year old told me to forget this place and that we should return home (a 100 mile drive). She's disappointed already. Foresaking good manners, we followed another person whose room was not yet ready and cut the crowd. Guess what. Another clerk - in an uppity manner -informed us that our room was not ready. When I gave her an exasperated look, her response was "well, we were booked solid last night. We are doing the best we can." Gee, no one else was speaking up and complaining. Should I make a scene in front of all of these happy travelers and ask why - if check out time is 11 AM sharp and it is now almost 3:30 PM and our room isn't ready as promised - just what is the problem with this hotel? I held my tongue and took my girls shopping til 4:30 PM. Aww, when we returned our room was finally ready. It turned out to be quite nice, very clean and very quiet. First floor, courtyard and situated between the game room and the wave pool area. Nice. Score with my daughers. This is a very family oriented place and we may stay again but BEWARE OF UPPITY DESK STAFF and be prepared to wait a long time for your room. There must be a law against this practice?

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Front Desk Staff
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
9 Thank ILUVMYVOLVO
NH
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2006

My family and I stayed there in february of 2006. After our stay I was so disappointed that I wrote the hotel the following letter...I never got a response.

"To Whom It May Concern:

I just wanted to take a moment and write you concerning my family’s recent stay at your establishment. Bottom line is that we were greatly disappointed.

I was looking for a nice mid-winter treat for myself and my family and searched online for something that would spark my interest. I came across your website and remembered that my sister had visited you on a few occasions and seemed to enjoy herself. So I ventured further and checked out the pictures online. Your “resort” seemed cozy and elegant yet family friendly. I was a little surprised at the “off-season” rate of $184.00/night (including tax) especially for a place that promotes a “Family Vacation” package, but figured that it must be worth it.

I decided on 2 rooms; one for husband and I and one for my son and his friend for Saturday, February 4th, 2006. The woman that took my reservation was extremely pleasant, and I found myself getting more excited as the day drew near.

After the 2½-hour ride we finally arrived. I went inside the lobby to check in only to find a line 20 deep. 25 minutes later I had our keys and headed back to the car to drive around the building in an attempt to find door # 11? (No staff could be found to direct us, no one to take our bags, no valet parking = not much of a “resort”). We finally located the unmarked door and headed inside. We were immediately assaulted by the smell of urine and mildew. The paint was chipping on the railings, the carpet wet, outdated and stained and buckets were strategically placed to catch the leaking ceiling tiles that were in dire need of replacement. Not exactly what we had in mind.

We got to our room and found that only the keys for one room worked and since they were connecting (and locked from both sides) I needed to go back down to the lobby and have them activated. Back up to the room and to the realization that our rooms were no better than a Howard Johnson’s or a Motel 6. It did not live up to the name “resort”. I was amazed to find that there was no water pressure in the sinks, the bathroom door was in need of repair, the walls paper thin (we were startled out of a sound sleep before sunrise by someone delivering invoices) there were maybe 10 television stations available and what you list as an “in room amenity” on your website;

“Nintendo 64 Games For your entertainment, we offer a
broad selection of the newest, most popular titles”.

Will actually cost you $6.95/hour. The heater was loud and had broken slats and we actually had to shut it down to hear each other talk. We then headed to the pool area which we found so hot and stuffy that it was almost unbearable. It needed some air movement. There were not enough chairs nor were there any towels (which from the looks of them looked more like a hand towels than a bath towel).

The bonfire that was being held that evening couldn’t be enjoyed ‘cause you basically had to stand up or sit on the wet ground. There were no chairs.

We attempted to use the dinner coupons but the wait was over 45 minutes and with kids that is not convenient. The “gift shop” was confusing and useless (you would think that if your marketing position is to promote the wave pool and being family friendly then you would stock flip flops and beach towels not $240.00 sweaters and $40.00 earrings).

It seems as if your facility hasn’t made up its mind yet. You attempt to come across as a “resort” yet the place needs some serious cosmetic work to even bring it up to the low end of the spectrum. You also try to come across as a family friendly yet nickel and dime everything from marshmallows (for the bonfire)to 50-cent arcade games. I wasn’t impressed. I feel it was a total waste of $368.00 (one night, two rooms).

The only thing that this place has going for it is its staff. The front desk personnel were friendly and attentive. The lifeguards and pool attendants were kind and hospitable.

I was really hoping that we were going to be impressed so that my husband and I could have returned to take advantage of the spa package, but I wouldn’t want to risk spending the money and being disappointed again. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call".

Needless to say it was a bad experience and we will not return. The fact that they did not even contact me or respond to my letter only proves their lack of commitment to their customers. Very sad.

• Disliked — It was dirty
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away!
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled with family
10 Thank lagilday
Blackstone, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2006

We stayed at the Cape Codder in early November, 2006. We were cautious about this hotel based on the reviews we read on TripAdvisor, so we only booked one night but we decided to stay an additional night based on our pleasant experience. This hotel is definitely for families - lots of kids running up and down the halls to the game room and in the wave pool area, so as long as you are not expecting a quiet couples retreat, you won't be disappointed. Some reviews said that the service was rude but we never experienced that. For instance, we walked down to the lobby at 6:30 AM to get some free coffee and when my 3-year-old wanted milk, the front desk person eagerly went to the restaurant next door to get her a large cup at no charge. We were also very impressed with the maid service. We got a room with one king bed so we brought along an inflatable mattress sleeping bag bed for our toddler. The maid service not only made the king bed, but they also made up her sleeping bag and laid out her dolls on the pillow. It was a very sweet touch. The wave pool was packed but clean and with 3 lifeguards attentively supervising. They quelled rowdy behavior quickly so no one got out of control. We got take-out from the Hearth and Kettle restaurant and ate in our room (which worked perfectly for an over-tired child). The food was comfort food and tasted great. Portions are large and priced well. The beds were average - nothing to get excited about, but they weren’t lumpy or hard either. The wireless internet access was adequate. I wouldn’t plan to send large PowerPoint files, but I could send and receive email with no issues. There was a small bonfire in the courtyard and the restaurant sold marshmallows and roasting sticks. If you are looking for a clean, family-friendly hotel with an indoor pool (with waterslides) for a fall get-away, I would recommend the Cape Codder hotel.

Stayed November 2006
10 Thank Dianne B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hyannis
Anchor In Hotel
Blue Water on the Ocean
Blue Water on the Ocean
#6 of 21 in South Yarmouth
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa

Been to Cape Codder Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!