“Incompetent Front Desk”

Cape Codder Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Hyannis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 2, 2007

We arrived 10 minutes before the 3 PM check in time. The line was 6 people deep. OK, we waited. Then we finalized check in details with a clerk. Then, he dropped The bomb..."your room isn't ready yet." Then I said, "Will it be ready by 3 PM?" His reply, "Just check back with us later. Why don't you go and relax at the wave pool, or eat in our restaurant?" No thanks, we would like our room. At this point the line was 15 deep. Oh great. My daughters and I took a stroll around the hotel. At 3:20 or so we returned to the lobby. By now the line was 20 deep. Do we wait our turn again? Or do we cut? My 11 year old told me to forget this place and that we should return home (a 100 mile drive). She's disappointed already. Foresaking good manners, we followed another person whose room was not yet ready and cut the crowd. Guess what. Another clerk - in an uppity manner -informed us that our room was not ready. When I gave her an exasperated look, her response was "well, we were booked solid last night. We are doing the best we can." Gee, no one else was speaking up and complaining. Should I make a scene in front of all of these happy travelers and ask why - if check out time is 11 AM sharp and it is now almost 3:30 PM and our room isn't ready as promised - just what is the problem with this hotel? I held my tongue and took my girls shopping til 4:30 PM. Aww, when we returned our room was finally ready. It turned out to be quite nice, very clean and very quiet. First floor, courtyard and situated between the game room and the wave pool area. Nice. Score with my daughers. This is a very family oriented place and we may stay again but BEWARE OF UPPITY DESK STAFF and be prepared to wait a long time for your room. There must be a law against this practice?

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
9  Thank ILUVMYVOLVO
Write a ReviewReviews (1,290)

Reviewed December 4, 2006

My family and I stayed there in february of 2006. After our stay I was so disappointed that I wrote the hotel the following letter...I never got a response.

"To Whom It May Concern:

I just wanted to take a moment and write you concerning my family’s recent stay at your establishment. Bottom line is that we were greatly disappointed.

I was looking for a nice mid-winter treat for myself and my family and searched online for something that would spark my interest. I came across your website and remembered that my sister had visited you on a few occasions and seemed to enjoy herself. So I ventured further and checked out the pictures online. Your “resort” seemed cozy and elegant yet family friendly. I was a little surprised at the “off-season” rate of $184.00/night (including tax) especially for a place that promotes a “Family Vacation” package, but figured that it must be worth it.

I decided on 2 rooms; one for husband and I and one for my son and his friend for Saturday, February 4th, 2006. The woman that took my reservation was extremely pleasant, and I found myself getting more excited as the day drew near.

After the 2½-hour ride we finally arrived. I went inside the lobby to check in only to find a line 20 deep. 25 minutes later I had our keys and headed back to the car to drive around the building in an attempt to find door # 11? (No staff could be found to direct us, no one to take our bags, no valet parking = not much of a “resort”). We finally located the unmarked door and headed inside. We were immediately assaulted by the smell of urine and mildew. The paint was chipping on the railings, the carpet wet, outdated and stained and buckets were strategically placed to catch the leaking ceiling tiles that were in dire need of replacement. Not exactly what we had in mind.

We got to our room and found that only the keys for one room worked and since they were connecting (and locked from both sides) I needed to go back down to the lobby and have them activated. Back up to the room and to the realization that our rooms were no better than a Howard Johnson’s or a Motel 6. It did not live up to the name “resort”. I was amazed to find that there was no water pressure in the sinks, the bathroom door was in need of repair, the walls paper thin (we were startled out of a sound sleep before sunrise by someone delivering invoices) there were maybe 10 television stations available and what you list as an “in room amenity” on your website;

“Nintendo 64 Games For your entertainment, we offer a
broad selection of the newest, most popular titles”.

Will actually cost you $6.95/hour. The heater was loud and had broken slats and we actually had to shut it down to hear each other talk. We then headed to the pool area which we found so hot and stuffy that it was almost unbearable. It needed some air movement. There were not enough chairs nor were there any towels (which from the looks of them looked more like a hand towels than a bath towel).

The bonfire that was being held that evening couldn’t be enjoyed ‘cause you basically had to stand up or sit on the wet ground. There were no chairs.

We attempted to use the dinner coupons but the wait was over 45 minutes and with kids that is not convenient. The “gift shop” was confusing and useless (you would think that if your marketing position is to promote the wave pool and being family friendly then you would stock flip flops and beach towels not $240.00 sweaters and $40.00 earrings).

It seems as if your facility hasn’t made up its mind yet. You attempt to come across as a “resort” yet the place needs some serious cosmetic work to even bring it up to the low end of the spectrum. You also try to come across as a family friendly yet nickel and dime everything from marshmallows (for the bonfire)to 50-cent arcade games. I wasn’t impressed. I feel it was a total waste of $368.00 (one night, two rooms).

The only thing that this place has going for it is its staff. The front desk personnel were friendly and attentive. The lifeguards and pool attendants were kind and hospitable.

I was really hoping that we were going to be impressed so that my husband and I could have returned to take advantage of the spa package, but I wouldn’t want to risk spending the money and being disappointed again. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call".

Needless to say it was a bad experience and we will not return. The fact that they did not even contact me or respond to my letter only proves their lack of commitment to their customers. Very sad.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled with family
10  Thank lagilday
Reviewed November 5, 2006

We stayed at the Cape Codder in early November, 2006. We were cautious about this hotel based on the reviews we read on TripAdvisor, so we only booked one night but we decided to stay an additional night based on our pleasant experience. This hotel is definitely for families - lots of kids running up and down the halls to the game room and in the wave pool area, so as long as you are not expecting a quiet couples retreat, you won't be disappointed. Some reviews said that the service was rude but we never experienced that. For instance, we walked down to the lobby at 6:30 AM to get some free coffee and when my 3-year-old wanted milk, the front desk person eagerly went to the restaurant next door to get her a large cup at no charge. We were also very impressed with the maid service. We got a room with one king bed so we brought along an inflatable mattress sleeping bag bed for our toddler. The maid service not only made the king bed, but they also made up her sleeping bag and laid out her dolls on the pillow. It was a very sweet touch. The wave pool was packed but clean and with 3 lifeguards attentively supervising. They quelled rowdy behavior quickly so no one got out of control. We got take-out from the Hearth and Kettle restaurant and ate in our room (which worked perfectly for an over-tired child). The food was comfort food and tasted great. Portions are large and priced well. The beds were average - nothing to get excited about, but they weren’t lumpy or hard either. The wireless internet access was adequate. I wouldn’t plan to send large PowerPoint files, but I could send and receive email with no issues. There was a small bonfire in the courtyard and the restaurant sold marshmallows and roasting sticks. If you are looking for a clean, family-friendly hotel with an indoor pool (with waterslides) for a fall get-away, I would recommend the Cape Codder hotel.

Stayed: November 2006
10  Thank Dianne B
Reviewed September 18, 2006

Way overpriced for the dark dingy outdated hotel. Looks great in the pictures online but very dissapointed. They say they have high speed internet and dataports in the rooms for your laptop connection but the signals were low and you were not able to get connected for business. They did send a tech he said the routers they use are more for household use than a large business.

For the price during late September it was over the top and not worth it at all. I could have stayed at a 4 star luxery hotel for what I spent here.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank rdb926
Reviewed September 4, 2006

Hotel looks gorgeous, lobby is lovely, courtyard very nice. Rooms were disappointing - rather dark and a bit dingy, bed was uncomfortable, and sheets on bed were made for people under 5 feet tall! we had an uncomfortable night since the sheets only came up under our armpits.

There was a bottle of shower gel hanging from shower head when we got to our room - left by previous guest! I wasnt' very impressed and wondered what else had not been cleaned or checked.

Wireless Internet did not work on Day 1 although staff insisted it was fine. On Day 2 it worked. On Day 3 it was not working once again. On checking out I saw a 1.00 per day Communication Charge. I asked what it was for and was told it was for local phone calls and the wireless internet. I said I hadn't made any local calls (I used cell phone) and that I thought the wireless was free, besides it only worked 1 day out of 3. I expected a response, did not care about the 3.00 but the reception clerk just looked at me and said nothing. I asked her if she had any response to my comments and she gave me a blank stare without saying a word. I was polite and quiet the whole time, so why she did not respond is beyond me. She then gave me my receipt, still without a word, turned her back on me and walked away. No "thanks for staying with us" or anything.

I would not go back.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank todge
Reviewed August 23, 2006

A very nice looking hotel. Some of the staff was very nice. However, I hope you didn't bring a lot of luggage. if you have a room on the 2nd floor, expect to walk up a flight of stairs (no elevators). Also, the mattress were like sleeping on a trampoline. I have stayed at Motel 6's with better bedding. One last thing, when dealing with the front desk staff, this one particular young kid gave us a very difficult time for what should have been a routine request. I doubt very much if I would stay there again. The place is a little pricey and I guess I expected more than basic motel service.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheBrooklynGuy
Reviewed August 21, 2006

Enjoyed a 2 week stay on Cape Cod staying at the Cape Codder Resort. Was disappointed with first room which was on the second floor overlooking the car park but managed to get moved to the second floor overlooking the courtyard which was a lovely spot.
Air conditioning a little noisy. Food was good. Spa excellent and facilities ideal especially for families with young children as the pool was open until 10pm and there was a different film every night in the courtyard for children,

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank Hounslea
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hyannis
DoubleTree by Hilton Cape Cod - Hyannis
#2 of 20 in West Yarmouth
Hyannis Harbor Hotel
Hyannis Harbor Hotel
#10 of 22 in Hyannis

Been to Cape Codder Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!