“Bigger & nicer than you think”

Cape Codder Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Hyannis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great indoor pool, good location with onsite bars & restaurant, rooms spacious & good large queen beds (as oppossed the typical small queen beds you get in many hotels), 5 mins from downtown, supermarket, gas station nearby. Pleasant staff. Good place for a 1-2 nighter get away.

Room Tip: dont need to park out front, once you have room loaction you can move car to closer to save walking
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Cape Codder Resort & Spa

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Let me preface this review by telling you I am NOT the complaining type. I like to keep things drama-free, but this place is ridiculous. We stayed at the resort for April vacation with our 2 young children and were VERY disappointed. Upon checking in the woman assigned us our room number, and while I heard other guests being asked by the other front desk staff if they had a location preference (pool or lobby area), we were not asked, and actually felt very rushed. For the record- yes I am aware this was a very busy week for the hotel- but for the top dollar they charge, I would expect a bit more than cheap motel level service.

Upon entering our room we immediately noticed a very strong musty odor. The room was outdated and dirty looking. The light fixture was literally hanging off the wall, inoperable and the headboards were cracked and splintered. I went to the front desk and asked for another room. I was told we could be put in an "updated" room- which was better, but still far from impressive. The hotel had a week full of activities planned of rthe kids- which they really enjoyed- so kudos there. However, it seems that many parents do not feel the need to supervise their children here and we had to shield our children from flailing flaming sticks and marshmallows at the nightly bonfire and running children in the halls.

THE WAVE POOL WAS OUR BIGGEST ISSUE. Put aside the fact that they were WAY over capacity. My son fell and smacked his head pretty hard- he was screaming crying and a large egg immediately appeared. I rushed him over to the lifeguard who seemed to be annoyed that we were bothering her and that she had to get up and put down her ice coffee. I told her what happened and she just stared at me. I then asked for an ice pack for his head. She didn't seem to even know where to find one and had to ask another guard. After they both shuffled around the "first aid kit" for a minute, she tells me matter of factly "We're out of ice packs. Do you want me to go get you one?" "YES!" I said, "and I want someone to evaluate my son too!!" So off she goes, acting completely inconvenienced. A few moments later she comes back and says "My shift is over, this guard will get you an ice pack" and walks away!! I am not exaggerating when I tell you a good 10 minutes passed and still no ice pack. Finally I grab another lifeguard and ask for the person in charge. The couple next to me couldn't believe what was going on and ran to their room (which was close by) and brought us some ice. When the "head" guard came over I was livid! He barely looked at my son and simply took an incident report. When I expressed my disgust at how the situation was handled he simply said "Yeah, well she was ending her shift." Are you KIDDING me?! My husband also informed the front desk who simply replied "Well, we hire local kids during school break weeks. Sometimes, they're not the best." WHAT?!? Absolutely ridiculous and completely unacceptable.

I was not expecting the Ritz (although the price was close) but I do expect my family to be safe- and that is not happening here. Depsite bringing our issues to the attention of numerous staff members, we did not receive so much as a "sorry". NEVER AGAIN!

6  Thank ODZIGME
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Our family of 5 went for one night during spring break week.

1) Pool was very fun. My kids ages 6 and 11 loved it. My 15-yr-old wouldn't go near it. Definitely a kiddie scene, although not for toddlers. If not for the pool, we would not have chosen this property. We did not use the outdoor pool, as the weather outside was quite cold. Indoors, there are 2 water slides (height requirement is about 42 or 44 inches?), a wave pool, and a large jacuzzi pool. Lifeguards were omnipresent, although I wouldn't leave my child unattended there. There were no towels available when we were there -- evidently they were all in the laundry.

2) Room was clean and -- well, you know, your basic hotel room. It was fine. Beds comfortable, pillows fine, etc. However, a lot of noise came through the door to the hallway. Some people do not control their kids. Children were running through the hallways and shouting at all hours. I set my iPhone White Noise app on full volume and that worked fine.

3) There was a problem at the front desk that kind of freaked me out. At check-in, we were given working keys to someone else's room. However, when I came back to the desk to report the problem, everyone was appropriately horrified and very apologetic. They gave us pool wristbands for the extent of the next day as compensation. So -- that was a REAL problem, but I thought the management handled it quickly.

4) Would we return? Certainly not without kids -- I do not know why people would go to this place as a "girls' weekend" or a romantic vacation. I might go back with the younger kids for a cure to the winter blues. The indoor pool was a welcome break to the freezing weather outside!

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I had been here maybe a year ago with my kids, but went recently with my fiancee. I was a little concerned as it was Spring Vacation, but not only is there so much to do, but the pool staff was so on top of maintaining a great environment for everyone that we were able to enjoy the property and each other.
As for the room, we got a loft which was not only huge, comfortable and accomodating, but between the fireplace and the Jaccuzi tub, well, we had a wonderful time.
Also, the outside heated pool was fantastic during the adult only time from 8 to 9pm
I'll (oops) We'll be heading back for sure.
FYI I emailed the hotel to ask what mattress they had because I don't think I've slept that well in a long time. I hope I can buy one.

Room Tip: I've stayed here a couple times and each time has been nice, but if you are looking for a romant...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I took my family on a mini vacation during their April break. I chose the Cape Codder after seeing an ad in AAA. The wave pool looked interesting, but was designed for younger children of maybe 10 or less. I was a little disappointed especially at the rate they were charging. The room was clean and housekeeping did an excellent job of keeping it that way. The fireplace in the room added a little ambiance and the kids liked it when it was lit. It was a nice ending to the day.The resort was well kept. The outdoor pool was a little to cold although I couldn't keep the kids out of it. The hot tub was great. It was nice to feel all the tension escape my weary bones. They did have a lot of activities for kids to keep them busy.

Room Tip: Request a room with a fireplace
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My family and I (kids 10, 9, and 5) stayed at the Cape Codder for 3 nights over the recent April break. We chose this resort solely for the pools and indoor water park, and based on those features, weren't disappointed. The kids had a fantastic time on the water slides, in the wave pool, and jumping from pool to hot tub and back (both the indoor and outdoor ones). The kids probably spent at least 3 hours cumulatively in the water every day. Apart from that, everything was very average. Room was acceptable, and clean, however, the attached Hearth & Kettle restaurant, where we ate breakfast twice due to the convenience, was pretty poor - you can definitely find better elsewhere in Hyannis. The entire place was filled with families and young kids. There were some teenagers, but they looked somewhat bored, as the water park is much more suited for younger kids (up to about 12). In the end, our kids were reluctant to leave and were already asking when we could come back. We may return, but will likely try some other family places first.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We recently spent two nights at the Cape Codder. We enjoyed the indoor water park and outside pool. My five year old daughter and I enjoyed a pedicure at the spa. The children's activities were nice and we especially enjoyed roasting marshmallows outside. The location is great, we are planning on visiting again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hyannis
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Hampton Inn and Suites Cape Cod - West Yarmouth
Anchor In Hotel
Anchor In Hotel
#1 of 22 in Hyannis

Been to Cape Codder Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!